Are gamers too entitled?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
JayJaySut
16-bit

Are gamers too entitled?

Post by JayJaySut »

This comes up in lieu of the recent Phil Fish debate, regardless of your opinion on Fish, It raises this question. Constantly I see gamers whining because a game lacks a certain feature or because it's not long enough etc. They complain when games they like don't get perfect tens and when someone like Phil Fish says something they don't like there was always "Stop saying things and go back to making games that I'm going to pirate!". People complained that the game took so long to make because "it's just pixel art" (which is actually incredibly time consuming). People have said that game devs used to be happy just making games and not talking a lot which is a good point, but didn't gamers used to be happy just playing games instead of complaining about every little thing?
MaxWar
8-bit

Re: Are gamers too entitled?

Post by MaxWar »

I dont think gamers in general are too entitled but it seems to me that typically, entitled people are the loudest in many given situations... So they tend to overshadow the potentially more numerous not-entitled population.
KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

People are too entitled on a general basis. It has nothing to do with being a gamer or not.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I complain when games aren't short enough.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

KDub wrote:People are too entitled on a general basis. It has nothing to do with being a gamer or not.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I don't understand the whole concept of entitlement. If you don't like something, you should say you don't like it. And if someone doesn't like what you said, they should say that too

It's called communication. It makes things happen
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

If a game is bad, you can a) not say anything, and thus expect more bad games to come, or b) say something and be called whiney, entitled, etc.

Why is there so animosity against critical and constructive feedback? That is not entitlement, that's how life works. Consumers are the bosses of corporations. If they don't spend money on it, the corporations won't make money. So if you want to make money, listen to the people buying your product.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

KDub wrote:People are too entitled on a general basis. It has nothing to do with being a gamer or not.

I didn't think the perfect summation would happen so early in the thread, but bravo.
KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

Well thanks, I try. :P
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Gamerforlife wrote:I don't understand the whole concept of entitlement. If you don't like something, you should say you don't like it. And if someone doesn't like what you said, they should say that too

It's called communication. It makes things happen

Well criticism and entitlement are two different things.

Criticism is judging something and saying what you like or don't like.

Entitlement isn't necessarily analyzing something but making demands that suit yourself even if they're unrealistic or unfair.

For instance, the critic might complain that they dislike a game's graphics.

The entitled person will complain that the game isn't out yet even though the graphics are simple. They deserve the game right now.

But yes, I do think people sometimes use the term "entitled" incorrectly to try and shrug off fair criticism.