Internet writing, income and adblocking

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Raiiban
24-bit

Re: Internet writing, income and adblocking

Post by Raiiban »

MrPopo wrote:
Raiiban wrote:I miss when Ads were limited to just TV, you can't do anything on the net without 40 different marketers trying to shove their garbage in your face. Nobody likes Ads but they're the only way for most websites to run. What a terrible situation.

So you were on the academic-only proto-web?

No, but aside from the flashing "YOU'VE WON A FREE IPOD!" banners and popups I don't think there was so much advertising 10 years ago vs. today on news and journalism websites. I could be wrong though, even when I did browse the web in the dark ages before ad blockers I was pretty good at not paying attention to them.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Raiiban wrote:
MrPopo wrote:
Raiiban wrote:I miss when Ads were limited to just TV, you can't do anything on the net without 40 different marketers trying to shove their garbage in your face. Nobody likes Ads but they're the only way for most websites to run. What a terrible situation.

So you were on the academic-only proto-web?

No, but aside from the flashing "YOU'VE WON A FREE IPOD!" banners and popups I don't think there was so much advertising 10 years ago vs. today on news and journalism websites. I could be wrong though, even when I did browse the web in the dark ages before ad blockers I was pretty good at not paying attention to them.

You'll have to go back 15 years, not 10, to get to that pre-"you've won!" state.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Raiiban wrote:No, but aside from the flashing "YOU'VE WON A FREE IPOD!" banners and popups I don't think there was so much advertising 10 years ago vs. today on news and journalism websites. I could be wrong though, even when I did browse the web in the dark ages before ad blockers I was pretty good at not paying attention to them.

You'll have to go back 15 years, not 10, to get to that pre-"you've won!" state.

And even that still had a lot of ads, they just weren't as in your face as modern ads. There wasn't as much flashing and certainly no embedded videos or ads that roll over the entire page until you click close. But quantity-wise there was still a ton.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I really respect sites that detect an ad-blocker, and have a small embedded message:
"Ads keep us running, you're blocking them - if you like us donate here."
I usually do.
Ad blocks are essential & sites that provide good content are essential. I'll but that for $15 (standard donation I give to my favorites).
On my phone, I can and will buy the versions of the game that have no ads. Any that are completely ad-funded get deleted immediately.
I do support good content, but cannot tollerate advertising when there's an easy way to eliminate it. I donate to the Ad-Block-Plus plugin regularly to eliminate ads. I even helped fund the beta build of the Chrome port even tho I don't use it (my clients use Chrome, and it's a selling point on my computer servicing side-job).
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage