The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
User avatar
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9740
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Tokyo

Re: No more good games (depressed)

by BoringSupreez Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:41 pm

DinnerX wrote:All the goodness is gone forever. It left with pong. That 2600 ruined everything.

:wink:

This video is relevant to this topic.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
User avatar
DinnerX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1537
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 7:57 pm
Location: Trapped in a Karate Kid cartridge

Re: No more good games (depressed)

by DinnerX Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 pm

For every thread turn, turn, turn
There is a season turn, turn, turn
A time for nostalgia, a time for sega hate, a time for...
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23125
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: No more good games (depressed)

by dsheinem Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:53 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:^It's unfortunate you conflated so many criticisms and when person A was talking about subject B, you criticized position C, but when person X was talking about subject Y, you criticized position Z. It felt a little weird for you to defend innovation and new IPs when people were talking about how the good indie games aren't getting proper releases. It felt like this was the argument of every single one of these threads:

Them: "I don't like these new games!"

You: "But, they exist!"

Them: "But not how I want!"

You: "You're just not looking hard enough!"

Ultimately, threads like these are pointless.


I agree that they were mostly pointless. I disagree that I argued that way (or at least that I did it with any regularity).

I should even point that you, dsheinem, crush hard on Modern Warfare.


Do you mean by this that I love the MW games? I've enjoyed the single player, barely touched but enjoyed some of the multiplayer, and don't think the games are the greatest things or worst things ever. I think the arguments people make about them are largely ungrounded, so I often defend the series against what I see as misinformed attacks. I am not sure what you are getting at, honestly.
User avatar
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9207
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:56 pm
Location: Denver CO, USA

Re: No more good games (depressed)

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:03 pm

OP gave me a hernia.

I really should stop coming here.

It's like trying to win an argument against a brick wall with these people.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
User avatar
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9740
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Tokyo

Re: No more good games (depressed)

by BoringSupreez Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:05 pm

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:OP gave me a hernia.

I really should stop coming here.

It's like trying to win an argument against a brick wall with these people.

:|

:lol:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
User avatar
SteveyMajors
24-bit
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:00 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: No more good games (depressed)

by SteveyMajors Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:08 pm

If you don't like what you see, why not try making a game yourself? What you want might be what we're all looking for.

I hope I don't sound like a dick, but if you're that dissatisfied, you should take action!
User avatar
DinnerX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1537
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 7:57 pm
Location: Trapped in a Karate Kid cartridge

Re: No more good games (depressed)

by DinnerX Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:09 pm

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:OP gave me a hernia.
Wouldn't it be a hemorrhage?
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:35 am

Re: No more good games (depressed)

by casterofdreams Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:09 pm

Image
User avatar
DinnerX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1537
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 7:57 pm
Location: Trapped in a Karate Kid cartridge

Re: No more good games (depressed)

by DinnerX Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 pm

Image
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
User avatar
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7815
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:59 pm
Location: NYC

Re: No more good games (depressed)

by o.pwuaioc Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:16 pm

dsheinem wrote:I agree that they were mostly pointless. I disagree that I argued that way (or at least that I did it with any regularity).

I think it's difficult to not argue that way. Sure, the broad ones who say "there is no innovation" or "the only high ranking games are FPSs[/i] are easy enough to refute, but when someone says "that soul which dominated the 90s is dead" is, by even your own admission, is partially true, as I remember you said in one of those threads you linked that games do change. BoneSnapDeez said, in so many words, "it is my opinion that today's games suck compared to games from the late 80s and early 90s", and you threw a fit because he was, by his own admission, being subjective. That's why I think you are arguing the wrong thing - de gustibus non est disputandum. Let's fight over facts, not tastes. Let RyantheSlayer go away if he disagrees with people over tastes. What may be a good game to one may not be a good game to another. There's no reason to get upset over that.

I should even point that you, dsheinem, crush hard on Modern Warfare.


Do you mean by this that I love the MW games? I've enjoyed the single player, barely touched but enjoyed some of the multiplayer, and don't think the games are the greatest things or worst things ever. I think the arguments people make about them are largely ungrounded, so I often defend the series against what I see as misinformed attacks. I am not sure what you are getting at, honestly.

I was making a jab at you. Obviously if people prefer 2D platformers to 3D FPSs, they're not going to like Modern Warfare no matter what you say. I was just remembering you saying that Modern Warfare (Black Ops 2, maybe?) was everything you wanted in a FPS. I threw up in my mouth a little, but I don't remember shouting you down because I disagreed with your horrible taste in (some) games. :P
Return to Games As Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest