The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
christopher85
24-bit

No more good games (depressed)

by christopher85 Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 pm

Help me guys because I'm freaking out here! Is it just me or areare there no more good games? I've come to believe that this generation has produced some of the worst, uninspired, and unoriginal games along with a few good ones in-between. Even the good ones most likely end up being mediocre at best. Are developers running out of ideas, being seduced by the latest cash grab, or just straight up lazy (here's looking at you Dead Space 3!) or maybe there isn't much ideas to choose from anymore. As I sit and try to think why its been a while since I last picked up my controler maybe this is why. An even better question to ask is:Can there ever be no more original game ideas?
I used love video gaming, knowing I would be transported to new and exciting places almost instantly but I hardly go to those places anymore. When will developers understand that we the consumer, don't want fad sacrificed for quality? Don't we matter?
MrPopo

Re: No more good games (depressed)

by MrPopo Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:43 pm

I don't have the energy to dig up the thread discussing this exact issue. The short of it is that if you aren't finding any good games you aren't even looking for them.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
DinnerX
Next-Gen

by DinnerX Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:45 pm

All the goodness is gone forever. It left with pong. That 2600 ruined everything.

:wink:
Last edited by DinnerX on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:46 pm

DinnerX wrote:All the goodness is gone forever. It left in with pong. That 2600 ruined everything.

Pong ruined the beauty that was SpaceWar.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
DinnerX
Next-Gen

by DinnerX Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:46 pm

MrPopo wrote:
DinnerX wrote:All the goodness is gone forever. It left in with pong. That 2600 ruined everything.

SpaceWar. Now that was a real video game.

EDIT: More seriously, there are many enjoyable games released today. Sure there are high-profile, big sellers that may be rather lacking in your opinion, but fun, imaginative games are still made. Minecraft comes to mind.
Last edited by DinnerX on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
Ack

by Ack Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:49 pm

DinnerX wrote:
MrPopo wrote:

SpaceWar. Now that was a real video game.

Those games were nothing compared to Tennis for Two.

And Chris, you need to read more RockPaperShotgun. Because they love the Witcher series and so should you. And I have seen the beginning of Cyberpunk 2077, and it is the future. A beautiful, wonderful, gritty, bloody, freakish future.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Retrodude
128-bit

by Retrodude Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:50 pm

ZombiU seems pretty original. If you die, you stay dead and start over as a different character and lose all your inventory. If you want your stuff back, you have to track down your previous character (who's now a zombie) and take it from them. I can honestly say I've never seen a game like that before.
I'm not a glitch, I just have pixlexia.

Raiiban wrote:That's a moral dilemma. Capitalism has no morals.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

by Violent By Design Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:57 pm

I dont get why people think new things are worse than new things, is nostalgia that powerful?

The market isn't really any more driven by sequels than anything else in the pass, that's how video games sell via brand name. That's how it's been for over 3 decades.

As for there not being any good games, that's really silly. If anything, this is the most diverse generation ever. Both 2D and 3D games are being made, which for the past 2 generations you couldn't really say (at least not on a widescale, minus Sega Saturn and handhelds for the most part).

Have games from every genre getting at least SOME love. Sure more than others, but there are generations where genres go entirely neglected or just haven't been invented yet.

All it takes is a simple search to find games that are highly rated and try them out. I mean what type of games are you looking for that you can't find?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:19 pm

I abused these threads by ranting about the OP's logic:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=36668

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=36944

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=38066

I am sure there were others, as this way of thinking ("no good games anymore") gets under my skin. In any case, I'll let you read my thoughts there and won't hijack this thread too. :lol:
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:40 pm

^It's unfortunate you conflated so many criticisms and when person A was talking about subject B, you criticized position C, but when person X was talking about subject Y, you criticized position Z. It felt a little weird for you to defend innovation and new IPs when people were talking about how the good indie games aren't getting proper releases. It felt like this was the argument of every single one of these threads:

Them: "I don't like these new games!"

You: "But, they exist!"

Them: "But not how I want!"

You: "You're just not looking hard enough!"

Ultimately, threads like these are pointless. Someone may not enjoy the direction even indie games take, some want the same thing over and over again, and I should even point that you, dsheinem, crush hard on Modern Warfare. "Around and round we go."

(Edit) Disclaimer: I think the best is long past, but it's not over yet.
Last edited by o.pwuaioc on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Return to Games As Culture