Modern Day Book Burning

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Re: Modern Day Book Burning

Post by Key-Glyph »

I'm not surprised that people still think video games are responsible for violence. I am surprised that people still think "book burning" is a legitimate or proactive form of protest.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

Apparently, there is "ample evidence" that violent games lead to violence. I'd like to hear it.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Zing wrote:Apparently, there is "ample evidence" that violent games lead to violence. I'd like to hear it.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... W-b4XipRVA
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

Zing wrote:Apparently, there is "ample evidence" that violent games lead to violence. I'd like to hear it.
If I'm remember correctly, J T posted a study a while back that found the competitiveness of a game was the major factor in aggravating aggression, not simply violence. I thought that was pretty interesting, because it was the first time I'd heard of any researchers separating those two.

Edit: ^Oop, and there he is! Not sure if that's the same study I'm thinking of, though.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Key-Glyph wrote:
If I'm remember correctly, J T posted a study a while back that found the competitiveness of a game was the major factor in aggravating aggression, not simply violence. I thought that was pretty interesting, because it was the first time I'd heard of any researchers separating those two.

Edit: ^Oop, and there he is! Not sure if that's the same study I'm thinking of, though.

That's a different study. Yeah, the competitiveness seems an important factor, but the measure of aggression was silly in that particular study (imo). They measured aggression by how spicy a person made a salsa dip for people that didn't like spicy food. Weird. Anyway, competitiveness is still a confound in much of the research on video game violence. I can say from personal experience that I get much more angry from a competitive game than a violent game (though many games have both). Earlier today I was cursing at hexagons. No blood, just mean geometric shapes.

I think the main question for this line of research about whether violent games increase aggression is really, does the violence raise aggression to any sort of dangerous level, and does that aggression generalize outside of the game context.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Fuzzy_Cthulhu
8-bit

Post by Fuzzy_Cthulhu »

J T wrote:
Key-Glyph wrote:

That's a different study. Yeah, the competitiveness seems an important factor, but the measure of aggression was silly in that particular study (imo). They measured aggression by how spicy a person made a salsa dip for people that didn't like spicy food. Weird. Anyway, competitiveness is still a confound in much of the research on video game violence. I can say from personal experience that I get much more angry from a competitive game than a violent game (though many games have both). Earlier today I was cursing at hexagons. No blood, just mean geometric shapes.

I think the main question for this line of research about whether violent games increase aggression is really, does the violence raise aggression to any sort of dangerous level, and does that aggression generalize outside of the game context.

If competition causes violence, schools are full of highly competitive sports teams, some of which require actual physical violent contact. Will the mob burn them too?
Hyp81
16-bit

Post by Hyp81 »

This stuff makes me so mad. I own and regularly shoot a variety of guns. I also hunt. I also own and regularly play, and have regularly played for YEARS, a variety of "violent" first person shooters. I don't feel a need to go out and murder innocent people with my guns, nor do I feel as if my games "desensitize me." Why? Because PIXELS ARE PIXELS and human beings are real, live human beings. There's a difference.

These guys are sick. They are effed up in the head. Why should their actions reflect on any one part of society, or any group of people? Ridiculous. Deal with the real problem-- sick people that need help before they snap.
NES~SNES~Genesis+32X~SegaCD~Atari Jaguar~N64~Saturn~PS1~Dreamcast~Game Cube~PS2~Wii~XBox 360~XBox One
Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES), Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (GameCube)
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

Competitive violent video games dont make people violent in real life, lag (and stress or nagging parents in some cases) does.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I'm mostly upset by the actions they've chosen in order to, supposedly, create dialogue. I'm in favor of parents taking more time to better understand what their kids are doing in video games, but the act of burning a bunch of violent video games in an attempt to bridge that, too often, closed line of communication seems highly ineffectual.

I find this demonstration much more likely to drive wedges further between already strained parent-teenager relationships.
Ack

Post by Ack »

J T wrote:
Key-Glyph wrote:

Hey JT, are you aware of any studies that focus on player reactions to competitive gaming versus violent gaming and the levels of aggression that players exhibit during and after...without referring to salsa, of course?