The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
AppleQueso
 

Re: Artist can't get laid: Claims female cosplayers are whor

by AppleQueso Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:30 pm

MrPopo wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:
Menegrothx wrote:I dont see why so many people want so badly to be identified as nerds anyways. It's a derogatory word and very few people are "qualified" enough to be considered as nerds. Why do people want to label themselves?

So they can get laid by fake nerd girls in cosplay outfits?

Because a career in being a nerd can make 100k+/year?

I don't think pretending to be a nerd because it's apparently "cool" has very good career prospects on its own.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 am

Re: Artist can't get laid: Claims female cosplayers are whor

by Menegrothx Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:06 pm

Menegrothx wrote:I dont see why so many people want so badly to be identified as nerds anyways. It's a derogatory word and very few people are "qualified" enough to be considered as nerds.

MrPopo wrote:Because a career in being a nerd can make 100k+/year?

Self-identifying yourself as a nerd wont magically give you any programming skills and no employer will give you a job just because you say that you're a nerd.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
User avatar
Luke
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 21077
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:39 am

Re: Artist can't get laid: Claims female cosplayers are whor

by Luke Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:24 pm

Labeling and stereotyping either yourself or someone else is plain dumb, as was the original article.
User avatar
Hazerd
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3384
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Artist can't get laid: Claims female cosplayers are whor

by Hazerd Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Im not a fan of Cos-play, also Con-Hot ftw, but too each there own i dont goto Cons so i dont have room to talk.
Image
Image
User avatar
crux
128-bit
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:52 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Artist can't get laid: Claims female cosplayers are whor

by crux Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:23 pm

I like to refer to the famous Venn diagram when it comes to appropriate labels for those of us with niche hobbies:

Image

Geek is chic - nerd is something else.
User avatar
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4866
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Artist can't get laid: Claims female cosplayers are whor

by Gunstar Green Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Every time there's a group of people that becomes significant enough to be defined as a subculture you'll see elitist attitudes develop regarding what you should or shouldn't be to label yourself part of the group.

And its damned silly. Nobody has a monopoly over what other people enjoy and how they enjoy it. It's all about people with inflated self-importance trying to impose their views about their favorite things onto others.
User avatar
J T
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Artist can't get laid: Claims female cosplayers are whor

by J T Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:22 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:Every time there's a group of people that becomes significant enough to be defined as a subculture you'll see elitist attitudes develop regarding what you should or shouldn't be to label yourself part of the group.

And its damned silly.


Nerds should be smart enough not to do this by definition. Paradoxically, anyone who talks about who a "real nerd" is, is not a real nerd.

And, in making that statement, I have now demonstrated that I am not a real nerd. :cry:
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
User avatar
DinnerX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1537
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 7:57 pm
Location: Trapped in a Karate Kid cartridge

Re: Artist can't get laid: Claims female cosplayers are whor

by DinnerX Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:38 pm

MrPopo wrote:
Flake wrote:Even guy nerds cannot get along without judging / hating each other.

It's because nerd has become mainstream. So the real nerds need to find a way to exclude all the fake nerds. Eventually the real nerds will become mainstream and the real real nerds will need to exclude the real nerds. It's a vicious cycle that ends with the human race destroying itself.
I hear this being said in Wallace Shawn's voice.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
User avatar
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5112
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:02 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Artist can't get laid: Claims female cosplayers are whor

by Forlorn Drifter Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:35 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:Every time there's a group of people that becomes significant enough to be defined as a subculture you'll see elitist attitudes develop regarding what you should or shouldn't be to label yourself part of the group.

And its damned silly. Nobody has a monopoly over what other people enjoy and how they enjoy it. It's all about people with inflated self-importance trying to impose their views about their favorite things onto others.

Good point. Similar to metal/rap/punk/dubstep fans and how some gain an elitist attitude because they listen to the "best" bands.

I'd try to contribute to the discussion, but I know of only one girl who does any gaming/comic reading and she keeps it totally quiet.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
User avatar
stickem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: nashville,tn.

Re: Artist can't get laid: Claims female cosplayers are whor

by stickem Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:38 pm

Hazerd wrote:Im not a fan of Cos-play, also Con-Hot ftw, but too each there own i dont goto Cons so i dont have room to talk.


me either.

female cosplay=hot
male cosplay=do i need to say?
Return to Games As Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests