Artist can't get laid: Claims female cosplayers are whores

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
MrPopo

Re: Artist can't get laid: Claims female cosplayers are whor

Post by MrPopo »

stickem wrote:
Hazerd wrote:Im not a fan of Cos-play, also Con-Hot ftw, but too each there own i dont goto Cons so i dont have room to talk.

me either.

female cosplay=hot
male cosplay=do i need to say?

There was a pretty epic Taric at IPL this year.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

stickem wrote:male cosplay=do i need to say?

http://i48.tinypic.com/8xms76.jpg
That's a quite decent Marisa imo :P
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

stickem wrote:
Hazerd wrote:Im not a fan of Cos-play, also Con-Hot ftw, but too each there own i dont goto Cons so i dont have room to talk.

me either.

female cosplay=hot
male cosplay=do i need to say?

Hey I thought I made a pretty decent Arnold Rimmer from Red Dwarf.

My girlfriend talked me into it.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

Labels do serve a real purpose: they are a way of conveying a short story about something or someone in an extremely brief span of time. They are also, in being extremely generalized and selective summaries of a person or thing, often highly inaccurate -- which (hopefully) all parties keep in mind at all times. But they succeed in giving you very basic potential jumping points for getting to know something better through actual experience, which hopefully follows later.

They become dangerous only when assumed to be extremely accurate in and of themselves, or when they are assumed to be the origin of someone or something's essence, as opposed to the incomplete, vague, boiled-down descriptor that they actually are. Both of these things are implicit in stereotypes, racism, and what have you.

It's all well and good to say that labeling is bad if you mean that these sorts of misuses of labels are bad. But every individual thing you identify as, and everything you've come to conclude about the person you are, is a label. You selectively filter your memories and experiences, emphasizing some and diminishing others, for the purpose of crafting a personal story that "explains" who you are. Humans are all about this sort of thing, and we do it all the time. We are constantly trying to find patterns in chaos.

I think that's why people can get so passionate about the labels that other people foist upon (or strip from) them. If outside labels support the personal story you've cobbled together, it vindicates your idea of your "self" as truth. But if they run contrary to it, it implies that your self-knowledge is flawed. When looked at this way, I don't think it's surprising or indicative of weakness when people get invested in the issue.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

^Well put.

*clap clap*
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Ack

Post by Ack »

J T wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:Every time there's a group of people that becomes significant enough to be defined as a subculture you'll see elitist attitudes develop regarding what you should or shouldn't be to label yourself part of the group.

And its damned silly.

Nerds should be smart enough not to do this by definition. Paradoxically, anyone who talks about who a "real nerd" is, is not a real nerd.

And, in making that statement, I have now demonstrated that I am not a real nerd. :cry:

It's ok, JT, I still think of you as a real nerd.

In fact, how about you come down around my place, and we'll race chocobos around the Lonely Mountain while avoiding the Tardis and enjoying our Pangalactic Garbleblasters? We might even watch the Enterprise take on the Executor, or marvel at how good Willow looks when dressed either as an Ewok or a Leprechaun. The Mario Bros. will do our plumbing, Sonic the Hedgehog will cook our chili dogs, and BJ Blazkowicz will wage our wars for us against evil Cylon HYDRA Nazis. Or we could write code. Your call.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Ack wrote:
It's ok, JT, I still think of you as a real nerd.

In fact, how about you come down around my place, and we'll race chocobos around the Lonely Mountain while avoiding the Tardis and enjoying our Pangalactic Garbleblasters? We might even watch the Enterprise take on the Executor, or marvel at how good Willow looks when dressed either as an Ewok or a Leprechaun. The Mario Bros. will do our plumbing, Sonic the Hedgehog will cook our chili dogs, and BJ Blazkowicz will wage our wars for us against evil Cylon HYDRA Nazis. Or we could write code. Your call.

LOL! You know I do love a good Warwick Davis film.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry