The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
User avatar
vlame
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4193
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Long Beach

Re: Gaming- analogous to broadcasting

by vlame Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:56 pm

dsheinem wrote:wouldn't it make sense to include more about broadcasting in your slides? How does something like "vinyl culture is akin to retro culture" have anything to do with broadcasting? How does chiptunes fit in? Why not talk about the TV ratings system alongside your slides on the ESRB, about the timing differences between HD console releases and the switch by TV stations to HD, etc.?

Sorry, I still don't "get" the assignment, what exactly your thesis is, or how well the presentation addresses either. Nice pictures, tough.

This course is designed to fit with your special interests and goals as an aspiring
entertainment industry professional. The most important thing that you can take
away from it is not just a lot of memorized facts, but the ability to think critically
about broadcasting and media for yourself.
To derive the most out of this particular class, students should be self-motivated
and demonstrate a professional attitude toward the work and their peers. The
entertainment business does not come with a roadmap or enforcers, and
successful careers are born out of seizing opportunity wherever and whenever
you can. Consider this course both an opportunity and a training ground for the
road ahead.
Image
Image
Image
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23079
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Gaming- analogous to broadcasting

by dsheinem Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:03 pm

vlame wrote:
dsheinem wrote:wouldn't it make sense to include more about broadcasting in your slides? How does something like "vinyl culture is akin to retro culture" have anything to do with broadcasting? How does chiptunes fit in? Why not talk about the TV ratings system alongside your slides on the ESRB, about the timing differences between HD console releases and the switch by TV stations to HD, etc.?

Sorry, I still don't "get" the assignment, what exactly your thesis is, or how well the presentation addresses either. Nice pictures, tough.

This course is designed to fit with your special interests and goals as an aspiring
entertainment industry professional. The most important thing that you can take
away from it is not just a lot of memorized facts, but the ability to think critically
about broadcasting and media for yourself.
To derive the most out of this particular class, students should be self-motivated
and demonstrate a professional attitude toward the work and their peers. The
entertainment business does not come with a roadmap or enforcers, and
successful careers are born out of seizing opportunity wherever and whenever
you can. Consider this course both an opportunity and a training ground for the
road ahead.


the course description isn't helping, other than to suggest I don't see anything that represents "the ability to think critically about broadcasting and media for yourself" jumping out at me from the powerpoints.
User avatar
vlame
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4193
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Long Beach

Re: Gaming- analogous to broadcasting

by vlame Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:57 pm

dsheinem wrote:
vlame wrote:
dsheinem wrote:wouldn't it make sense to include more about broadcasting in your slides? How does something like "vinyl culture is akin to retro culture" have anything to do with broadcasting? How does chiptunes fit in? Why not talk about the TV ratings system alongside your slides on the ESRB, about the timing differences between HD console releases and the switch by TV stations to HD, etc.?

Sorry, I still don't "get" the assignment, what exactly your thesis is, or how well the presentation addresses either. Nice pictures, tough.

This course is designed to fit with your special interests and goals as an aspiring
entertainment industry professional. The most important thing that you can take
away from it is not just a lot of memorized facts, but the ability to think critically
about broadcasting and media for yourself.
To derive the most out of this particular class, students should be self-motivated
and demonstrate a professional attitude toward the work and their peers. The
entertainment business does not come with a roadmap or enforcers, and
successful careers are born out of seizing opportunity wherever and whenever
you can. Consider this course both an opportunity and a training ground for the
road ahead.


the course description isn't helping, other than to suggest I don't see anything that represents "the ability to think critically about broadcasting and media for yourself" jumping out at me from the powerpoints.

i just don't know what to say. it wasn't really guided at all. maybe long beach education is really bad compared to wherever you teach.
Image
Image
Image
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23079
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Gaming- analogous to broadcasting

by dsheinem Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:06 pm

vlame wrote:i just don't know what to say. it wasn't really guided at all. maybe long beach education is really bad compared to wherever you teach.


I'm not trying to knock your education, and what you are doing might be perfectly fine. BUT without the actual assignment in front of me (or a full description of it from you) it is hard to know how to assess what you've done. You asked for help/feedback, but it is hard to give any meaningful advice without first knowing what the assignment specifically asks you to do. It may indeed be "open ended" but that doesn't really mean just "do whatever" - I am sure there's certain grading criteria being used...
User avatar
vlame
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4193
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Long Beach

Re: Gaming- analogous to broadcasting

by vlame Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:57 pm

it was pretty open ended it just had to do with broadcasting. some people did behind the scenes videos, somebody did a power point about TV technology...
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4Ie8g ... 0Z6OUl5WVU
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4Ie8g ... 2UwMW9qZ1k
Image
Image
Image
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
Return to Games As Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest