Those small details that makes games a lot more fun

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: Those small details that makes games a lot more fun

Post by Erik_Twice »

I'm still waiting for characters to angle their feet when they are on a ramp instead of just using the tips of their shoes.

It's the only graphical complaint I have about TF2 :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

KuiperBelt wrote:This one is going to make me feel stupid and I am honestly impressd with any game that actually renders stairs as stairs and not just a ramp. Windwaker was the first game I noticed it in and it freaked me out in the best way. I am easily impressed though.
:lol: I love this one! I was just thinking about the mechanics of this yesterday; I watched a character positively book it down a spiral staircase like she had rollerblades on, and it was impossible to resist commenting on it.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I did this with all of the Metroid Prime games. I would use the scan visor religiously - and sometimes at great peril - to get a reading on everything. The extensive, completely unnecessary information that the developers tucked into every corner of those games really impressed me.
It's like asking your point-and-click adventure protagonist to Look at everything: absolutely necessary for a proper experience. :mrgreen:

I thought of another one: sound tests. I dream of the day it becomes a requirement for every game to have one, but in the meantime I will continue being ecstatic whenever they're included.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Key-Glyph wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:I did this with all of the Metroid Prime games. I would use the scan visor religiously - and sometimes at great peril - to get a reading on everything. The extensive, completely unnecessary information that the developers tucked into every corner of those games really impressed me.
It's like asking your point-and-click adventure protagonist to Look at everything: absolutely necessary for a proper experience. :mrgreen:

It was very much like that...except that, in Metroid Prime, the object of my examination was very often trying to kill me...
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

KuiperBelt wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Now that I think about it, I haven't seen ramp-stairs since the N64 era

I mean the characters run up stairs and they actually step. Their legs can be on two different stairs. Still it does happen in a lot more games now, maybe I suck at paying attention

OH, yeah I know exactly what you mean. I thought you meant literally a ramp with a stair texture.

Key-Glyph wrote:I thought of another one: sound tests. I dream of the day it becomes a requirement for every game to have one, but in the meantime I will continue being ecstatic whenever they're included.

Sorta related to this: it's awesome when a CD based game has redbook audio that you can just play back in a CD player. It's like you're getting a game and an OST all in one!