What would you ask him?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
AppleQueso

Re: What would you ask him?

Post by AppleQueso »

MrPopo wrote:The english language kind of sucks in that regard. The grammatically correct neutral stuff hits the ear weird.

All the made-up gender neutral pronouns sound fuckin wacky too.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

I always felt "they/them" instead of "he or she/him or her" to refer to an unspecified person sounded better.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

jfrost wrote:I always felt "they/them" instead of "he or she/him or her" to refer to an unspecified person sounded better.

I consider that usage to be unsupported and incorrect so I refrain from using it. I see very little reason to use a heavily contested if not downright invalid "they" when I can just use "him", really.

I also find the politically correct context it would give everything I write so niggardly I refuse would refuse to use it even if valid :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

General_Norris wrote:
jfrost wrote:I always felt "they/them" instead of "he or she/him or her" to refer to an unspecified person sounded better.

I consider that usage to be unsupported and incorrect so I refrain from using it. I see very little reason to use a heavily contested if not downright invalid "they" when I can just use "him", really.

I also find the politically correct context it would give everything I write so niggardly I refuse would refuse to use it even if valid :lol:

I'm amused that a sentence involving the phrase "politically correct" also includes the word "niggardly", which kills the career of every politician who knows it and uses it in the proper way.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

MrPopo wrote:I'm amused that a sentence involving the phrase "politically correct" also includes the word "niggardly", which kills the career of every politician who knows it and uses it in the proper way.

Don't explain the joke! :lol:

Around here we had people insisting that calling black people, well, "black" was racist and that we should call them "coloured" instead. :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

General_Norris wrote:Around here we had people insisting that calling black people, well, "black" was racist and that we should call them "coloured" instead. :lol:
"African American" is becoming the preferred term in the U.S. and we've gone through about four other terms before that. Each of them was OK for a while, and then was offensive. :?
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Instead of discussing/arguing semantics, I think I'll actually post something relevant to the topic (I may have just offended everyone here :twisted: )

Hmmm, I'm not sure what I'd ask Uematsu.
Maybe I'd like to know what he thought impressive of other games' music.

Also, in one of the endings to Crono Trigger,
In the developers' room, he makes a jab at playing games too much or something. I wonder if he considers/considered that a major problem or was just poking fun

Otherwise, I'd just want to know and hear any music that was left out of FFVI.
...just another lost soul...
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

I can't think of a question myself, but at the American Classic Arcade Museum panel at PAX East this year, somebody asked one of the creators of Ms. Pac-Man why there was a pretzel among all the fruit. I thought that was pretty brilliant. (Answer, if I remember correctly: it was a boss's favorite food.)

"They" has been used as a gender-neutral pronoun for centuries, and by well-respected authors. I personally don't think credentials like that are necessary for accepting it as a legitimate rule when it's a great alternative, but since some do -- and also considering it's doubtful a new word is going to rise up and fill the need anytime soon -- I can't see a reason to be embarrassed for using it.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would