The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
User avatar
brunoafh
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5390
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:20 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Has a game ever disturbed or offended you? (possibly NSF

by brunoafh Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:55 pm

User avatar
Luke
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 21077
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:39 am

Re: Has a game ever disturbed or offended you? (possibly NSF

by Luke Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:13 pm

dsheinem wrote:Luke, i think you are being unfair to Maher, Manhunt, and Hostel. Each has more than shock to offer...


That's definitely possible.

My "beef" is that although Maher may be incredibly insightful he's always a stooge when I see him on tv. He'll trade character for ratings. I would more than enjoy sharing a cup of joe with the guy and discussing his views on politics, but tv Maher can take a long walk as I'm concerned.

Manhunt is a GTA side quest that gets repetitive after the first fifteen minutes. It certainly has its own style, but the game's soundtrack is basically a guy breathing heavily and with so many dark spaces the stealth aspect of the game isn't very challenging.

HOSTEL; I didn't care for it, but it isn't all torture porn so you got me there. I won't back pedal on saying that I don't think it was good and I also think it could have been much better.
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Has a game ever disturbed or offended you? (possibly NSF

by Gamerforlife Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:26 pm

Two games off the top of my head I found a bit offensive. Shadows of the Damned with its rather mysogynistic (in my opinion) treatment of Paula and that No Russian level (though, it's not like I would have ever played a Call of Duty game anyway since I don't like games like that). I also found it offensive that someone made an indie game about the Columbin shootings. As offensive as those games are to me, I'm not exactly bothered by their existence. I believe in freedom of expression and always find it sad when things are censored or banned from a country. You're stifling someone's creativity and depriving others from experiencing whatever that artist wanted to convey to his/her audience. Now whether or not I like or agree with what that artist is presenting, I won't take away his right to do it.

I haven't played a lot of games that offend me. A game has to really push things far to offend me and I think the above games do that. I laugh at how upset people get over a game like Lollipop Chainsaw. Seeing a girl in a cheerleader outfit get people so upset is funny to me, especially when she's wearing more clothes than most video game females and is more realistically proportioned as well. Have these people never played an Itagaki game?

J T wrote:
Image
I just finished Alice: Madness Returns and the Dollhouse level really left me creeped with all of its themes of childhood abuse and prostitution farms. It was sick and fascinating all at the same time, but I think it was carried by the work of the visual artists and the gameplay only minimally added to the content, which I'm never sure really should have been tackled in this game in the first place... or maybe it should... I appreciate the ambitiousness of the concept and I think they did have something to say, but there were also times when I think they just wanted to be fucked up for the sake of being fucked up. And it's really weird to be platform jumping through some pedophilic nightmare land.




Thanks JT for making me feel stupid as I don't think I even picked up on all those themes when I played that part of the game LOL. I realize now how obvious it all is though. I just didn't take a lot of the visual stuff in that game seriously because it did seem like it was often trying to be effed up just to be effed up
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6252
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:22 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Has a game ever disturbed or offended you? (possibly NSF

by Erik_Twice Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:12 pm

I remember a scene in Persona 3 made me very uneasy. The (male) characters meet a woman, who is actually a transexual man who tells them he can teach them sexually but after the characters celebrate and accept (Dafuq?) they notice that the operation wasn't well made, they have been tricked! That's a good chunk of stereotipes there!

In fact, the only thing that keeps me from actually assesing that scene as an improptu minstrel show of sorts is that it's so poorly written, so out of character and so silly that I can't really make enough sense of it so as to actually complain about it too much. You can't get any deep understanding from something so shallow.


Other than that, I don't recall much else. Sure, stupid gender roles breaking my inmersion annoys me, but I don't think they fit here or many things would :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
User avatar
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5016
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 9:32 pm
Location: Outside Philly, PA

Re: Has a game ever disturbed or offended you? (possibly NSF

by retrosportsgamer Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:21 pm

dsheinem wrote:Luke, i think you are being unfair to Maher, Manhunt, and Hostel. Each has more than shock to offer...


I'm a big Maher guy - I don't think he's "stunt" at all. Just my opinion.
Image
User avatar
J T
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Has a game ever disturbed or offended you? (possibly NSF

by J T Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:36 am

Gamerforlife wrote:
J T wrote:
I just finished Alice: Madness Returns and the Dollhouse level really left me creeped with all of its themes of childhood abuse and prostitution farms. It was sick and fascinating all at the same time, but I think it was carried by the work of the visual artists and the gameplay only minimally added to the content, which I'm never sure really should have been tackled in this game in the first place... or maybe it should... I appreciate the ambitiousness of the concept and I think they did have something to say, but there were also times when I think they just wanted to be fucked up for the sake of being fucked up. And it's really weird to be platform jumping through some pedophilic nightmare land.


Thanks JT for making me feel stupid as I don't think I even picked up on all those themes when I played that part of the game LOL. I realize now how obvious it all is though. I just didn't take a lot of the visual stuff in that game seriously because it did seem like it was often trying to be effed up just to be effed up


There was apparently a fight between EA and American McGee over Alice: Madness Returns. EA was pushing for the already dark game to be more "mature" by adding in more sex and violence. McGee was tired of them pushing this to be more over-the-top-and less tasteful, so he sent them a mocked up art concept for a giant snail shaped like a penis with boobs for antennae and he threatened to put it in the intro if they didn't let him keep his art direction in the way he saw fit. hahahah. That might explain some of what we were picking up on from the game and why it felt a bit shock-for-the-sake-of-shock.

You can see a photo of the penis-snail here. It is obviously NSFW.
http://updates.kotaku.com/post/34684194 ... mature-dev

:lol:
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Menegrothx
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 am

Re: Has a game ever disturbed or offended you? (possibly NSF

by Menegrothx Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:35 pm

J T wrote:McGee was tired of them pushing this to be more over-the-top-and less tasteful, so he sent them a mocked up art concept for a giant snail shaped like a penis with boobs for antennae and he threatened to put it in the intro if they didn't let him keep his art direction in the way he saw fit.

Shin Megami Tensei games have demons like that
http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Mara
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/eirikr ... /46-15347/
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
User avatar
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6252
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:22 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Has a game ever disturbed or offended you? (possibly NSF

by Erik_Twice Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:39 pm

Shin Megami Tensei taught me why Incubus aren't more popular :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Return to Games As Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests