The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: Sep-Nov '12 Game Book Discussion Group:"The Future Was H

by Erik_Twice Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:29 am

I read too fast so many details are a bit fuzzy in my head. I think it's the less suitable part of the book to talk about, in a certain way.

I can't make it to the discussion, it would be terribly late here. Sorry!
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:06 am

dsheinem wrote:I haven't read any since the last chat, so I will be "cramming" between now and then. Due to lack of recent discussion, I am guessing others are in the same boat?

oh thank goodness. I thought I was the only one who managed to not pick the book up since then. :\
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:50 am

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I haven't read any since the last chat, so I will be "cramming" between now and then. Due to lack of recent discussion, I am guessing others are in the same boat?

oh thank goodness. I thought I was the only one who managed to not pick the book up since then. :\

:raises hand:

Although I do find benefit in reading and then discussing in the same day. Everything is fresh.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:58 am

Ivo wrote:People, the guide is up on the main page if you are interested in checking. If you spot anything that doesn't seem accurate etc. please let us know.

Nice work on this. Incredibly comprehensive! I did not know that Stardust had its origins on the Amiga. I love the current generation games.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:39 pm

I keep forgetting to say thanks to everyone who confirmed my Monkey Island suspicions. I knew he was named after "Guy.brush," which I'd read in an interview with either Ron Gilbert or Tim Schafer at some point -- but since the Amiga hadn't mean anything to me until I started reading this book, I hadn't put the pieces together.

I haven't started reading the next batch of chapters yet either. I like that we get together and chat on our progress, but I guess I don't do so well when assignments are broken up into segments with a lot of space in between. I deliberately stopped reading at the end of chapter three so I wouldn't get ahead of the group, but it interrupted my enthusiasm inertia. Now I'm having trouble going back to it.

I know I'll be into it once I pick it up again. It's just the "picking it up again" that's causing me trouble, apparently.
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Key-Glyph wrote:but I guess I don't do so well when assignments are broken up into segments with a lot of space in between.

yeah, pretty much this for me too.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:19 am

so will enough folks be ready for tonight or should we push it a week?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:29 am

I finished the whole chunk earlier this week, but I'm fine if peeps would rather put it off a week?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:52 am

The scheduled talk tonight is officially postponed to next Sunday night, October 28th. OP updated.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:36 pm

dsheinem wrote:The scheduled talk tonight is officially postponed to next Sunday night, October 28th. OP updated.
Oh man, this is great news! I was at my brother-in-law's wedding this weekend and kept forgetting to post that I wasn't able to make the chat.
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Return to Games As Culture