Book 2 for Quarterly Game Book Reading/Discussion Group?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Book 2 for Quarterly Game Book Reading/Discussion Group?

Post by noiseredux »

fiction would be cool. A couple I'd be interested in...

http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-Umb ... ident+evil

If we were to do a novelization, I'd love to do the first RE book. (Can you believe there's no Silent Hill books?) What's nice is if anyone ends up sucked into it, there's actually 7 books in the series. Also, they're mass market, so you're looking at like a $4 investment tops.

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-One- ... player+one

or for something different, Ready Player One has been talked up big time in gaming circles. I guess it's got kind of a Last Starfighter vibe and apparently has tons and tons of video game (and 80's/90's pop culture) references. As a bonus the audio book is narrated by Will Wheaton and a movie adaptation is in the works.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I'm not particularly interested in reading fiction. But if that's what folks would prefer, I'd suggest either the first Myst novel (which I remember loving when I was in middle school) or Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw of Zero Punctuation fame.

Some nonfiction books I have on my shelf but haven't read yet are Gamer Theory by McKenzie Wark and Reality is Broken by Jane McGonigal. Of the two, Gamer Theory seems to be more videogame-centric.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Gamer Theory is obtuse and fairly inaccesible to most. I had a diss chapter focused (in part) on Wark's "Hacker Manifesto" and Gamer Theory is nowhere near as interesting or relevant in my opinion. That said, if you are well versed in late 20th century post-structuralism than there's some value there...
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

noiseredux wrote:(Can you believe there's no Silent Hill books?)

Hey, atleast there's Silent Hill comics
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

noiseredux wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-One- ... player+one

or for something different, Ready Player One has been talked up big time in gaming circles. I guess it's got kind of a Last Starfighter vibe and apparently has tons and tons of video game (and 80's/90's pop culture) references. As a bonus the audio book is narrated by Will Wheaton and a movie adaptation is in the works.

I finished this book a few weeks ago. I'd love to talk more about it. I really enjoyed it and I feel like it was written for people that were gamer/pop culture nerds in the 80s. It's a really fun book.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

A non-gamer family member whose literary opinion I respect just recommended Ready Player One to me a few weeks back. She thought I'd pick up on all the references she assumed she was missing. I'd be interested in that.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would