The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
User avatar
D.D.D.
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:33 am
Location: of the Estrecho de Gibraltar is where now?

Re: Do game abbreviations such as SHMUPS or Bros. bother you

by D.D.D. Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:48 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Muhmorperguh.


Ok Mr Croshaw.

PC anyone? Mac perhaps?

Video Graphics Array
Universal Serial Bus
Zone Improvement Plan code
Automatic Teller Machine machine :wink:

Yes I know some are abbreviations and some are acronyms, we seem to be using both in this thread.


So what is your Personal Identification Number Number Hobie? :)
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
User avatar
BurningDoom
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5953
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:14 am

Re: Does it bother you when?????

by BurningDoom Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:03 am

AppleQueso wrote:I remember there being the "Super Nintendo" and the "Regular Nintendo"


Yep.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
User avatar
D.D.D.
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:33 am
Location: of the Estrecho de Gibraltar is where now?

Re: Does it bother you when?????

by D.D.D. Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:46 am

BurningDoom wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:I remember there being the "Super Nintendo" and the "Regular Nintendo"


Yep.


I think that's what my friend's father called the two. And then he'd kick us off the big screen where the SNES was hooked up and told us to go play "regular Nintendo" in the den. :(
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38130
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Do game acronyms such as SHMUPS or Bros. bother you?"

by noiseredux Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:41 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:I just call shootemups Shumps. Thats shump not shmup. It annoys hardcore fans, but it is so much easier to say.


easier how? :|
Image
User avatar
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4859
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Do game abbreviations such as SHMUPS or Bros. bother you

by Gunstar Green Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:15 pm

Shump?

Shut'em ups :P ?
User avatar
fastbilly1
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13646
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:08 pm

Re: Do game acronyms such as SHMUPS or Bros. bother you?"

by fastbilly1 Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:24 pm

noiseredux wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:I just call shootemups Shumps. Thats shump not shmup. It annoys hardcore fans, but it is so much easier to say.


easier how? :|

Shump is pronounced like sump. So instead of saying sh-mup, you say shum-p with emphasis on the p. Down here people pronounce the mup part very strongly and it is odd for me to say it.
User avatar
dtrack
24-bit
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Do game abbreviations such as SHMUPS or Bros. bother you

by dtrack Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:14 pm

boring.
the fun comes in when there is a talk between gamers with non-gamers around.
the nongamers don't mind shmups or shoot em ups or vertical/horizontal shooter and the like. they're all the same to them. they just don't understand what the conversation is about :mrgreen:
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 19487
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Do game abbreviations such as SHMUPS or Bros. bother you

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:02 pm

I dislike how some people refer to $60-at-launch big-budget PS3/360 titles as "hardcore games" and everything else as "casual."
User avatar
Cronozilla
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2610
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: Oregon, USA.

Re: Do game abbreviations such as SHMUPS or Bros. bother you

by Cronozilla Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:41 pm

Yes, it's very aggravating to be told that just because this game is $10 less it's a "budget" title and thus is likely worse. Because ... only expensive things can be good, apparently.

I never liked the term SHMUP, or even shoot-em-up, because I grew up calling them shooters and it encompassed more than just vertical shooters or horizontal in planes with power ups, it included games like Jackal and Commando, Hell Starfox and Silpheed too. Where as a game where there was also platforming/choice/ducking, things like that (i.e. Contra) would be action games or something like that.

I think they officially, well, to main stream people, lost the moniker "shooter" when third person shooters became really popular after Gears of War. Because, then you couldn't just say "FPS" anymore ... because well they're not, right? I mean ... there are people who do call Gears of War an FPS ... and that's ridiculous. But I can understand just calling them Shooters. But I still feel that those old school Raiden-like games are still shooters, it's just sort of a meta-genre, now.

But what I find just obnoxious is calling EVERY "shmup" a "bullet hell shooter" ... because that's a very specific kind of game.
harper
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2532
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:40 pm

Re: Do game abbreviations such as SHMUPS or Bros. bother you

by harper Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:45 pm

I would say that we could use the abbreviation "3PS" for 3rd person shooters but you know, that might bother someone, and we can't be havin' that. :P
Return to Games As Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests