The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Does it bother you when?????

by Stark Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:54 pm

Ack wrote:I dislike referring to the NES as the Nintendo, though I do from time to time. But the company has put out so many consoles, I don't feel confident calling it a Nintendo. So I say the letters for the acronym NES most often. And I say Super Nintendo. After that, it is 64, Gamecube, Wii, and Virtual Boy. The only handheld I don't refer to by its name is the Game Boy Advance, which I will occasionally call GBA.

I call the GBA the gabba.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Ack

by Ack Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Sounds like a crappy Swedish disco group.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Remember when people were calling the PS3 the PS Triple?
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:12 pm

AppleQueso wrote:I remember there being the "Super Nintendo" and the "Regular Nintendo"

It wasn't the "regular Nintendo" until after the Super Nintendo came out, you young whippersnapper!

It was the "Nintendo" and "Sega" (SMS). Then the Genesis came out. Within a few years, some people were calling the Genesis a "Sega." They'd tell me to come over and play their new Sega. I'd be like, "okay, maybe you've got Shinobi, Dynamite Dux or Fantasy Zone or something?". I'd go over and they'd have a Genesis with Sonic 1 or Castle of Illusion in it. I'd be like, "WTF, were you completely unaware of the Master System!?!?! Why'd you call this a Sega?"

Wait a second, how can you judge the intent of whether Nintendo intended anyone to say ness or not?

Common sense and a knowledge of recent history. Nintendo NEVER referred to it as the "ness" EVER. I don't even recall them saying "N-E-S". It was always "Nintendo Entertainment System", or just "Nintendo". Magazines like Nintendo Power, Gamepro and EGM popularized "N-E-S." I guess you could say NP sort of started "ness" with "Nester", but I don't remember "ness" being popular at all until well into the life of the S-NES. It could have been at some places.

*reads what I just wrote*

Oh.... maybe Nintendo did start the whole "ness" thing? Dammit!

Remember when people were calling the PS3 the PS Triple?

Nope, because I was in Japan then. It was "pureisute-shon suri-" or "Pee Esu- suri-!".
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:47 pm

Breetai wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:I remember there being the "Super Nintendo" and the "Regular Nintendo"

It wasn't the "regular Nintendo" until after the Super Nintendo came out, you young whippersnapper!

Well yeah... why would it be a 'regular nintendo' if a SUPER version didn't exist yet? :P

It was the "Nintendo" and "Sega" (SMS). Then the Genesis came out. Within a few years, some people were calling the Genesis a "Sega." They'd tell me to come over and play their new Sega. I'd be like, "okay, maybe you've got Shinobi, Dynamite Dux or Fantasy Zone or something?". I'd go over and they'd have a Genesis with Sonic 1 or Castle of Illusion in it. I'd be like, "WTF, were you completely unaware of the Master System!?!?! Why'd you call this a Sega?"

Well yeah... they probably were. I know I was pretty unaware of it until my grandparents inexplicably got one. Even then I just called it and the Genesis both a "Sega"
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:58 pm

The Master System really only existed in the Sears catalog. I have known one kid in my entire life who owned one. By the time I met him, we were already playing the Super NES, so I never really tried it.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Zing wrote:The Master System really only existed in the Sears catalog. I have known one kid in my entire life who owned one. By the time I met him, we were already playing the Super NES, so I never really tried it.

In my little town, Sears had them, a local electronics/rental shop had them both for sale and for rent (the owner was British... maybe that explains it?), all 3/4 video rental places in town had Master System games and also another local shop had them. So, it was fairly well known. I guess just enough people completely ignored it and stuck to the Nintendo section that, by the time the Genesis was somewhat popular, some people didn't even remember the poor old SMS.

In my class in elementary school (pretty much the same lot of us from kindergarten to grade 5), probably 3 or 4 out of 30 had Master Systems. Half probably had Nintendos, maybe a few less than that had Atari 2600s, a few had C64s, and the rest (probably half, considering that some had both a 2600 and one other system, or a C64 and something else) had nothing. I know one person who had a 7800. Nobody I know had a 5200, Coleco or Intellivision.

I had a TI-99/4a and an NES. I was the only guy I knew with a TI system.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

by wip3outguy7 Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:24 pm

"Ness" and "Sness" are like nails on a chalkboard to me. I believe that even Nintendo had game counselors using "N-E-S" or "Super N-E-S" back in the day so I'm not sure where ness/sness came from.

It also bugs me when mid-westerners pronounce "consoles" "counsoles". There is no OU. Please stop wedging it in.

The term "shmups" has been around for a looong time. I believe it was used in a european gaming magazine as far back as the late 80s. I believe someone posted the history of the term in Redifer's thread expressing his dislike of the term.
Last edited by wip3outguy7 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Its funny, all the people I see hating the word "shmup" never post about playing shmups, discuss actual shmups, post in our high score threads or SoTM... I think some folks just like complaining more than playing video games :P

Fwiw, I see "shmup" and think 2D scrolling shooter, not just shooter. Its a very defined term, and it needs to be, becuse there are hundreds of games that fit into this tight description.

Its just silly to say "2D scrolling shooter" everytime you want to refer to that specific genre and not have it confused with Contra, Robotron, Panzer Dragoon, Star Fox, Resident Evil, Halo, etc.

its no different than FPS, which just goes into a further definition of that specific style of shooter.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Breetai wrote:
Zing wrote:The Master System really only existed in the Sears catalog. I have known one kid in my entire life who owned one. By the time I met him, we were already playing the Super NES, so I never really tried it.

In my little town, Sears had them, a local electronics/rental shop had them both for sale and for rent (the owner was British... maybe that explains it?), all 3/4 video rental places in town had Master System games and also another local shop had them. So, it was fairly well known. I guess just enough people completely ignored it and stuck to the Nintendo section that, by the time the Genesis was somewhat popular, some people didn't even remember the poor old SMS.

In my class in elementary school (pretty much the same lot of us from kindergarten to grade 5), probably 3 or 4 out of 30 had Master Systems. Half probably had Nintendos, maybe a few less than that had Atari 2600s, a few had C64s, and the rest (probably half, considering that some had both a 2600 and one other system, or a C64 and something else) had nothing. I know one person who had a 7800. Nobody I know had a 5200, Coleco or Intellivision.

I had a TI-99/4a and an NES. I was the only guy I knew with a TI system.

Yeah, sounds like I was in the same boat. We could get Master Systems at several retailers in the area and I had one (briefly) and new several other kids who had one.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Return to Games As Culture