The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Do game acronyms such as SHMUPS or Bros bother you?

by Stark Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Breetai wrote:
Stark wrote:
Breetai wrote:I dislike the term "ness" and "s'ness" for NES and SNES. It sounds stupid to me.

Do you dislike it when someone says ray-dar or lay-ser for the acronyms RADAR and LASER as well? :roll:

Those acronyms were made with the intention of being pronounced by their acronyms. That's not the case with NES and SNES. That's not really a relevant comparison. When did people start pronouncing it as "ness" and "s'ness" anyway? I'd never heard that until the late-90s at the earliest.

In fact, for the longest time, it was "Super NES" and not "SNES." There was even a period when people wrote "S-NES" instead of "SNES."

I'm pretty sure I've always said ness. And therefore sness is a logical leap from there. Although I think I say both, so who knows what that means. As far as comparisons go, how about SQL, pronounced sequel?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
AppleQueso

Re: Does it bother you when?????

by AppleQueso Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:50 pm

"s'ness" sounds silly

end of story
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Might be a regional thing, like pop versus soda. Most people I knew just said Nintendo or Super Nintendo when they were actually current.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Re: Do game acronyms such as SHMUPS or Bros bother you?

by Breetai Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:56 pm

Stark wrote:As far as comparisons go, how about SQL, pronounced sequel?

It's stupid like ness and s'ness. I know plenty of people who just say S-Q-L. Still, at least it is a relevant comparison. :D

Might be a regional thing, like pop versus soda. Most people I knew just said Nintendo or Super Nintendo when they were actually current.

It was always Nintendo and Super Nintendo until the mid-90s sometime, from what I remember. Some people started with "ness" and "s'ness" a few years after that. I generally punch those people in the face. :mrgreen:
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Wait a second, how can you judge the intent of whether Nintendo intended anyone to say ness or not?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
s1mplehumar
Next-Gen

by s1mplehumar Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:03 pm

"N" "E" "S" or gtfo, Stark. :lol: Ness makes me uneasy? Blehh, to each his own I guess.
Nintendo ID, PSN, XBL: Eronnicus * Steam ID: s1mplehumar * Switch Friend Code: SW-3270-7921-5525
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:07 pm

s1mplehumar wrote:"N" "E" "S" or gtfo, Stark. :lol: Ness makes me uneasy? Blehh, to each his own I guess.

Fair enough, I was too young I don't remember what I said. :lol: Actually I think everyone called it a Nintendo, not NES nor ness.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:08 pm

I remember there being the "Super Nintendo" and the "Regular Nintendo"
harper
Next-Gen

by harper Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:40 pm

AppleQueso wrote:I remember there being the "Super Nintendo" and the "Regular Nintendo"

Same here. haha
Ack

by Ack Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:49 pm

I dislike referring to the NES as the Nintendo, though I do from time to time. But the company has put out so many consoles, I don't feel confident calling it a Nintendo. So I say the letters for the acronym NES most often. And I say Super Nintendo. After that, it is 64, Gamecube, Wii, and Virtual Boy. The only handheld I don't refer to by its name is the Game Boy Advance, which I will occasionally call GBA.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to Games As Culture