Do game abbreviations such as SHMUPS or Bros. bother you?"

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
3DSStrider
64-bit

Re: Does it bother you when?????

Post by 3DSStrider »

All this time, and no one has told CRT that Bros. And shmups are abreviations, not an acronym?
Last edited by 3DSStrider on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insert clever quote here.
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/3DSStrider
Let's Play Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuNEFO ... qkaLOHc2nQ
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Its funny, all the people I see hating the word "shmup" never post about playing shmups, discuss actual shmups, post in our high score threads or SoTM... I think some folks just like complaining more than playing video games :P

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

The more I think about it, the more I think it's human nature to call the NES, ness and the SNES, sness. I see this quite a bit in the tech field. It seems if something can be said as a word it will be. Examples:

SQL = sequel
PXE boot = pixie boot
Microsoft SCOM = Microsoft skom
NAT
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Stark wrote:The more I think about it, the more I think it's human nature to call the NES, ness and the SNES, sness. I see this quite a bit in the tech field. It seems if something can be said as a word it will be. Examples:

SQL = sequel
PXE boot = pixie boot
Microsoft SCOM = Microsoft skom
NAT

That's just so those of us in the tech center can confuse the laypeople.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Do game acronyms such as SHMUPS or Bros bother you?

Post by Gunstar Green »

Breetai wrote:
Stark wrote:As far as comparisons go, how about SQL, pronounced sequel?

It's stupid like ness and s'ness. I know plenty of people who just say S-Q-L. Still, at least it is a relevant comparison. :D

Might be a regional thing, like pop versus soda. Most people I knew just said Nintendo or Super Nintendo when they were actually current.

It was always Nintendo and Super Nintendo until the mid-90s sometime, from what I remember. Some people started with "ness" and "s'ness" a few years after that. I generally punch those people in the face. :mrgreen:

Yeah I don't remember anyone ever saying Ness or Sness back in the day, at least not where I'm from. Like others have said it was always "Super Nintendo" or "Regular Nintendo" (which is hilarious today because it sounds like the NES is a cup of coffee or something). When people did use the acronyms for the consoles, which was rarely, they spelled them out.

Of course then game the Internet and everyone started using acronyms for everything so they started being referred to as the NES and SNES much more frequently. It wasn't until retro-gaming really took off that I started hearing people say Ness and Sness. That's the main reason it sounds wrong to me personally though I don't give a crap what someone wants to call them. I either spell out the acronyms or say Super and Regular like the old days :) .
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

I prefer to actually say "Nintendo Entertainment System", "Super Nintendo Entertainment System", "Shin Nihon Kikaku Neo Geo Advanced Entertainment System", "Nippon Denki Kabushiki Gaisha Turbografx-16", etc.
bj79
8-bit

Re: Do game acronyms such as SHMUPS or Bros. bother you?"

Post by bj79 »

what about the term bullet hell shooter. I have heard a shooter be called that but never a bullet hell shmup, and shoot em up is already an abbreviation. why do we need shmup then.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

bj79 wrote:what about the term bullet hell shooter. I have heard a shooter be called that but never a bullet hell shmup, and shoot em up is already an abbreviation. why do we need shmup then.

Shmup is useful because it doesn't stop sentences in it's tracks like shoot'em up does. It's easier as a descriptive term and works more naturally as a noun as it's more self-contained.

"Bullet hell shooter" is more pleasing than "Bullet hell shmup" beacuse the former is more relaxed and the softness of "shooter" fits the previous words better than "shmup" does.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

bj79 wrote:what about the term bullet hell shooter. I have heard a shooter be called that but never a bullet hell shmup, and shoot em up is already an abbreviation. why do we need shmup then.

It's cuz the original term shooter was for spaceships doing the shooting. Which is why I still refer to any spaceship shooting game as a shooter. First Person Shooters are FPS', side-scrolling shooters, vertical shooters, run&gun shooters, and other classifications get XXX shooters or an acronym. If someone calls an FPS a shooter, yeah, it may throw me off for a moment but I'll catch on to his modern lingo but I'm not going to call it strictly a shooter. Cuz it's my prerogative. :P
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
bj79
8-bit

Post by bj79 »

nice points guys I think it is interesting to see how people feel about these terms. But I still refuse to call shoot-em ups shmups. Just growing up I never heard that term ever always shooters or shoot-em ups. but hey we can have new ways to say things.