Do game abbreviations such as SHMUPS or Bros. bother you?"

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Do game acronyms such as SHMUPS or Bros bother you?

Post by CRTGAMER »

3DSStrider wrote:All this time, and no one has told CRT that Bros. is an abreviation, not an acronym?

Still the same thing to me, a short hand of a word and the abbreviation description may not all fit in the OP title without another acronym. :lol:

The Bros. is fine to me if part of the game title such as Super Mario Bros. Okay for older controller players how about this word? Oh and get off my lawn! :D

TRAKBALL versus TRACKBALL

I usually spell it without the C, a carry over from the way it was labeled many years ago.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

bj79
8-bit

Re: Do game acronyms such as SHMUPS or Bros. bother you?"

Post by bj79 »

Bros. bothers me because when you say any other abbreviation like Dr. you say doctor not der. or for Mrs. you say misses not Mers. The Bros abbreviation seems to be the only one I can think of were I hear the abbreviation sounded as if it is a word instead of using the actual word.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

It's because bros doesn't sound terrible on it's own, unlike your other examples.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

bj79 wrote:Bros. bothers me because when you say any other abbreviation like Dr. you say doctor not der. or for Mrs. you say misses not Mers. The Bros abbreviation seems to be the only one I can think of were I hear the abbreviation sounded as if it is a word instead of using the actual word.

I still believe it all comes down to whether it can be said as a word. Bros. can be and Dr., Mr., and Mrs. cannot. Here are some other examples of abbreviations that are said as a word:

Prof. = Professor
Mass. = Massachusetts
econ. = economics
poli sci = political science
chem = chemistry
add = addition
english lit = English Literature

Heh, all of those are school related. Weird. Also as far as the thread title, shouldn't it be abbreviation no acronym? If I'm not mistaken, all acronyms are abbreviations, but not all abbreviations are acronyms. Neither shmups nor bros. are acronyms.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I just call shootemups Shumps. Thats shump not shmup. It annoys hardcore fans, but it is so much easier to say.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Do game acronyms such as SHMUPS or Bros bother you?

Post by Hobie-wan »

CRTGAMER wrote:TRAKBALL versus TRACKBALL

I usually spell it without the C, a carry over from the way it was labeled many years ago.

But that is Atari's cutesy way to spell it for their specific product. I imagine there's probably a little ® next to it on there. It is marketing being cute like Turbografx or the iPAQ.

I've never said ness, but I do say nez very occasionally. As for 'shooter', around here I've heard console FPS/3PS using that term for quite some time. I'm pretty sure I first heard shoot em up and shmup in reaction to that term being 'stolen' back in the 90s.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

down here in mexico i still hear kids calling it

Super Mario BRONS

where the N come from?
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Duane Dibbley
128-bit

Post by Duane Dibbley »

I believe "shmup" is a portmanteau, not an acronym. Problem solved. :wink:
My games for sale: Racketboy, Amazon, eBay
My systems: NES, Nintendo 64, GameCube (Game Boy Player), Wii / Game & Watch: Ball, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP (x2), Nintendo DSi / Genesis (Sega CD, 32X), Saturn / Game Gear / PlayStation, PlayStation 2 / Xbox / Mac (Windows PC) / iPhone, iPad
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Duane Dibbley wrote:I believe "shmup" is a portmanteau, not an acronym. Problem solved. :wink:

I've always felt that portmanteau is a fantabulous word.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Stark wrote:Prof. = Professor
Mass. = Massachusetts
econ. = economics
poli sci = political science
chem = chemistry
add = addition
english lit = English Literature

Heh, all of those are school related. Weird. Also as far as the thread title, shouldn't it be abbreviation no acronym? If I'm not mistaken, all acronyms are abbreviations, but not all abbreviations are acronyms. Neither shmups nor bros. are acronyms.

Sci fi
Peeps (lol)
Sis
Cous or cuz
Defcon
Fridge