Are you a COLLECTOR, or are you a GAMER?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: Are you a COLLECTOR, or are you a GAMER?

Post by Jmustang1968 »

dsheinem wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:
I have pretty much resigned myself to never being able to finish my backlog. But that's what I get for owning the majority of rpgs released in the last 20 years...

Don't sell yourself short! Even if you have 200 RPGs X 40 hours on average (8,000 hours), you could easily finish up those 200 in 25 years if you played an hour a day. If you live into your 80s, you could easily tackle twice that!

Again, don't make so many assumptions about it being impossible - instead get crackin'!

I have more than 200...

This is also assuming my list stays the same. But with new releases my backlog grows faster than I play it.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

Jmustang1968 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:
I have pretty much resigned myself to never being able to finish my backlog. But that's what I get for owning the majority of rpgs released in the last 20 years...

Don't sell yourself short! Even if you have 200 RPGs X 40 hours on average (8,000 hours), you could easily finish up those 200 in 25 years if you played an hour a day. If you live into your 80s, you could easily tackle twice that!

Again, don't make so many assumptions about it being impossible - instead get crackin'!

I have more than 200...

This is also assuming my list stays the same. But with new releases my backlog grows faster than I play it.

Thats insane. With 1000+ video games plus 150+ RPGs like Jmustang i'd need to live to be 125 years old or more, play a game every day for at least an hour, and stop buying games now. None of which is going to happen. More likely this rpg collection of mine will be in my life another 10-15 years and then its going to be time for a big sell off having only completed a limited few. RPGs truly show where I am a collector and not a devoted gamer.

p.s. This reminds me why I like casual, arcade, racing, and platforming games so much. You get right into the game play without spending so much time on storyline. I watch enough movies and tv that I dont have enough time left over for 40+ hour rpgs with long stories. I have to be very select about the rpgs I devote a lot of time to otherwise I would have no time away from the TV at all.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Jmustang1968 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:

I have more than 200...

I still say that's bull. But let me ask you....how many RPGs do you think you find of interest (in total) in each generation that you haven't already finished?

NES/SMS-
Genesis/SNES/PCE -
PS1/SAT/N64 -
PS2/Xbox/GCN/DC -
PS2/360/Wii -
PC -
Portables -

Give me a rough number and I'll see if I can find some reasonable path to backlog mastery for you...
TheGrimAngel
16-bit

Post by TheGrimAngel »

I am more of a modern Gamer, but a Retro collector. I play modern games way more often then I do retro, and I have found my self buying almost any cheap retro games I come across, just for the sake of having them.

I do play some retro stuff, but currently my backlog of current gen stuff is around 7 games, while the list of retro games I own but have never played is far to big to count.
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

Post by EvilRyu2099 »

I consider myself a gamer and a moderate collector.. Hopefully I can expand on it in the future.. Gamers have huge backlogs as well.. I don't think I will ever complete mine.. But I shouldn't be too concerned about it either.. Just complete as many games as I possibly can...
PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

If you already have a large number of games unplayed, why continue to buy more? If you are still buying new games, then maybe that is a sign that the old games will never get played and should be passed on to someone that will play them.

I realized this a while back and whittled down my collection. It still isn't small enough that I will finish it in a reasonable time, so I am ignoring new games.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Even though this topic has de-railed a bit and gone into piracy, the older i get the more im a Collector than a Gamer it seems.

I have a modded Wii, modded PSP, and R4 Flashcarts for my DS and 3DS. Let's just say i enjoy having the physical version of a game, but if it costs too much to acquire i will pirate.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

I used to play everything I bought, but I'm very much more a collector than a gamer at this point. I can even remember the specific point at which I flipped: Black Friday 2009. I was in Gamestop, taking advantage of their buy 2 get 1 free sale. I bought three games of course, which were Rogue Squadron 2, Zak and Wiki, and Ace Combat 4 IIRC. I got home, played with each one for about a half-hour each, and then shelved them. It suddenly occurred to me, "I don't have the time to play all of these games!" However, I didn't slim down my collection. I just decided they looked nice on my shelf anyhow, and it's snowballed from there.

Sometimes I do wonder if I only bought one or two games a month if I would beat everything like I used to.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

BoringSupreez wrote:I used to play everything I bought, but I'm very much more a collector than a gamer at this point. I can even remember the specific point at which I flipped: Black Friday 2009. I was in Gamestop, taking advantage of their buy 2 get 1 free sale. I bought three games of course, which were Rogue Squadron 2, Zak and Wiki, and Ace Combat 4 IIRC. I got home, played with each one for about a half-hour each, and then shelved them. It suddenly occurred to me, "I don't have the time to play all of these games!" However, I didn't slim down my collection. I just decided they looked nice on my shelf anyhow, and it's snowballed from there.

Sometimes I do wonder if I only bought one or two games a month if I would beat everything like I used to.

Id be lucky to beat 5 games a year, ones that require more than 10 hours to beat, like RPG's.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Dish is right though, you'd be surprised at how much you beat if you actually set some time aside for it to play. An hour a day really isn't too hard to do, and if you squeeze in more time on weekends... yeah.

I don't even worry about my backlog anymore. Collecting itself is fun.