Names On Carts

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Re: Names On Carts

Post by Key-Glyph »

When I was a kid my mother made me put labels with my name on them on my handheld systems because I brought them to school. She feared my Gameboys getting mistakenly (or purposely) claimed by another child.

We'd put one on the battery cover and then one inside the battery cover too, so if someone actually tried to steal the system and claim it as theirs by peeling off the outside sticker, there could be a potential supersleuth-esque reveal of the truth with the inner one ("If it really were yours, would it have my name... BENEATH THE BATTERIES?!")

Interestingly I never put my names on my cartridges, but I did on some of my manuals. I suppose the reasoning there was that the booklet could fall out or be easily misplaced. That said, I've only misplaced one in my life, and that was last year during a move. I'm so ticked. :x But hopefully it'll turn up.

I do love it when I get carts that have writing on them, though. It does have a certain charm for me.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

@CFFJR
It says "Oka Takuma".
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

I have several carts with names on them, but I don't let it bug me.

I never wrote on games myself. The closest I came to that was writing cheat codes on the back of a manual (which I would never do now, neither the cheating nor writing on manuals.)
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

brunoafh wrote:@CFFJR
It says "Oka Takuma".

Ha, cool.

Thanks man! :D
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Jontendo
64-bit

Post by Jontendo »

Years ago a friend decided to write my name on one of my N64 carts to avoid mixing it up with his. :? :x
Fortunately it was a super common that I ended up replacing, but this is why I now more closely guard "the precious". :)

benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

I actually have a few of them back home. One of them had a label with name and address which is odd. Some of them had dragon ball characters or speedy Gonzales on the label. Maybe I can show you all some someday.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
diesel_dan
24-bit

Post by diesel_dan »

I imagine that the branding of games is some parent's ironclad defense against stolen property. Jimmy lost one too many games and now his name must go on each and every cartridge that leaves the house.

I never gave it much thought until now, and I always just Magic Eraser those suckers right off, but maybe I'll leave them now. It's so...authentic. And pretty funny. :D
god
64-bit

Post by god »

Big Zenny Hustler
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Back in the 80s, I would make temporary trades with friends where we would borrow each other's games. After having a few lousy people take the game I loaned them and let someone else borrow it (the double trade), I started getting upset about my games getting lost, so I got stickers and put my name and other contact info on the games with a sticker so they could find their way back to me.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
bigjt_2

Post by bigjt_2 »

Interestingly, I never did this, either. I seem to find it more in more these days when buying old used carts, though. I always wonder what the purpose was. My buddies and I would swap games all the time as kids, but we all had so few that it was easily remembered who's was who's.