A game about homelessness

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Re: A game about homelessness

Post by BoringSupreez »

BRIK wrote:Why can't games be used for social issues? Anyway to get the point across.

People generally think of video games as being for fun and nothing else (I do myself.) And so people aren't going to play a game about homelessness to increase their awareness of the problem, at least not most of them, they'll play it to have fun. It just seems tacky to me.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
BRIK
Next-Gen

Post by BRIK »

BoringSupreez wrote:
BRIK wrote:Why can't games be used for social issues? Anyway to get the point across.

People generally think of video games as being for fun and nothing else (I do myself.) And so people aren't going to play a game about homelessness to increase their awareness of the problem, at least not most of them, they'll play it to have fun. It just seems tacky to me.

It's not tacky, I see it as a great way to get a point across. Not everyone watches the news or read newspapers, they may not have any interest in those at all. They may like playing games though and if a point needs to get across to them then this is the perfect solution to do that.
I don't see why you think games for educational purposes are okay but this isn't, this is educational as well. It's point is to raise awareness.
Retro Game On's YouTube Channel << Featuring reviews, features and repair videos.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I told my sister-in-law to give it a try, and she immediately made everyone else try it too. She still holds the high score of $954 and no floating debts which she got on her first try. When we all finished we made a $10 donation. Good game for a good cause is good. I bought $40 worth of ramen (I've done this in real life before) and nothing bad happened either time. MSG is not harmful despite it's bad rep.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage