What do the old games have that the new games don't?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
pjvdg
24-bit

Re: What do the old games have that the new games don't?

Post by pjvdg »

Like most of you already said: Just to be able to pick up a game and start playing.
Another reason for me would be the boxart of these old games, call it nostalgia if you will.
----------------------------------------------------------
Manage your retro collection on your iPhone or iPod Touch:

Others:
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I'll also agree with what was said earlier about games being so damn slow today. In fact, technology seems to be doing nothing but slowing down everything. It takes a lot longer for me to flip through channels on digital cable than it did in the old days when we didn't have that. Going anywhere on the internet seems to take forever today with the fifty goddamn banners, ads, videos, music and other crap that needs to load up. EVERYTHING you want to watch has commercials now. You can't pop in a DVD without seeing a bunch of stupid trailers first, can't watch a youtube video without waiting forever for it to completely stream in THEN have to deal with stupid ads too.

And then yes, we of course have our video games too, which their half minute load times when you die, which only come AFTER you wait fifteen seconds for some stupid game over screen to go away that serves no purpose other than wasting your time to rub in the fact that you died. Oh, and of course, you can't play an Xbox 360 game without it asking you to sign in to Xbox Live first, then making you wait while it signs into some stupid EA sponsored "Cerberus Network" nonsense in Mass Effect 2. Then of course there are the fifty thousand cutscenes(which you can enjoy rewatching when you die, but only AFTER you wait for the game to load again), the stupid tutorials(push stick forward to move dumbass), the three billion screens telling you who made your game before you can get to a damn title screen, the load times whenever you want to enter a new area of a stage, the time it takes to load up a save game, etc, etc, etc.

We live in a very slow world. I spend fifty percent of my days bitching about how slow everything is, especially annoying because I work on computers all day and everything from the programs we use to the browsers are slow as hell
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

Gamerforlife wrote:can't watch a youtube video without waiting forever for it to completely stream in THEN have to deal with stupid ads too.

You can usually skip the ads by just reloading the page. If another one shows up, reload again; you'd either be really unlucky to hit a third or the video has a custom commercial that will show up every time.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Kevman
128-bit

Post by Kevman »

Soul
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Kevman wrote:Soul

Amen
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
gennss
128-bit

Post by gennss »

linear action paths. I seriously dislike hub worlds (lol)
--
Gennss
--
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Back in the day, games were still trying to be a realistic as possible - but that was a far off dream. They had to find their own creative solutions to solve the problem, and thus games had their own style, their own quirks and unique elements. Now a days, gaming is still trying to be as realistic as possible, but there's very little in the way of limitations. Thus, everything is starting to merge together, with many games from very different developers all feeling like the same game.

The attitude of the majority of gamers not wanting to be challenged and essentially just wanting a semi-interactive movie is another problem. The focus on telling the single-player experience to "Pack It In" just so they can give their attention to a mediocre multiplayer mode that will be forgotten in less than a month is yet another.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Gamerforlife wrote:I'll also agree with what was said earlier about games being so damn slow today. In fact, technology seems to be doing nothing but slowing down everything. It takes a lot longer for me to flip through channels on digital cable than it did in the old days when we didn't have that. Going anywhere on the internet seems to take forever today with the fifty goddamn banners, ads, videos, music and other crap that needs to load up. EVERYTHING you want to watch has commercials now. You can't pop in a DVD without seeing a bunch of stupid trailers first, can't watch a youtube video without waiting forever for it to completely stream in THEN have to deal with stupid ads too.

And then yes, we of course have our video games too, which their half minute load times when you die, which only come AFTER you wait fifteen seconds for some stupid game over screen to go away that serves no purpose other than wasting your time to rub in the fact that you died. Oh, and of course, you can't play an Xbox 360 game without it asking you to sign in to Xbox Live first, then making you wait while it signs into some stupid EA sponsored "Cerberus Network" nonsense in Mass Effect 2. Then of course there are the fifty thousand cutscenes(which you can enjoy rewatching when you die, but only AFTER you wait for the game to load again), the stupid tutorials(push stick forward to move dumbass), the three billion screens telling you who made your game before you can get to a damn title screen, the load times whenever you want to enter a new area of a stage, the time it takes to load up a save game, etc, etc, etc.

We live in a very slow world. I spend fifty percent of my days bitching about how slow everything is, especially annoying because I work on computers all day and everything from the programs we use to the browsers are slow as hell
:lol: :lol:
Instant load of limited size cart games does have some advantages I guess.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

A big factor for me is the music actually. One of my top 10 games probably has to be Streets of Rage 2, and the reason is the music is one of the best game soundtracks I have ever heard.
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
(-_-)
64-bit

Post by (-_-) »

the7k wrote:Back in the day, games were still trying to be a realistic as possible - but that was a far off dream. They had to find their own creative solutions to solve the problem, and thus games had their own style, their own quirks and unique elements. Now a days, gaming is still trying to be as realistic as possible, but there's very little in the way of limitations.

Reminds me of something my spatial design prof yelled at us once
LET LIMITATIONS DRIVE INNOVATION