PS3 Games: How scratched before you won't buy?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

PS3 Games: How scratched before you won't buy?

Post by fuctfuct »

I've been really picky buying used Blu-ray games. I won't buy anything with even minor scratches. Some with very minor marks have made it through to my collection VIA not inspecting close enough. As far as I know Blu-ray discs are very sensitive to even the smallest scratches. That's why they have the hard coating that is so hard to scratch.

I recently bought a PS3 console that came with a bunch of free games. One of them I wanted to play, so I used that to test the console. It had a few marks on the disc. A disc I wouldn't not have bought because of this. I was able to beat it with only one minor glitch during a cutscene. The voices of the characters glitched and then went away entirely for the rest of the scene. Might not have even been from the imperfections on the disc. Who knows?

I'm far more lenient with DVD games. I buy (edit: lightly) scratched discs all the time. As long as it "looks" like it will play, and the scratches aren't too deep. DVD (and CD) games are easy to test by dumping them. 360 DVD games I test by installing. PS3 is more difficult. In the past I've been able to dump a few, but if you don't do it with a modded console they don't match Redump checksums. I was able to correct a dump once so it matched but I forget how I did it lol.
Last edited by fuctfuct on Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: PS3 Games: How scratched before you won't buy?

Post by stickem »

I dont buy scratched discs. I really dont like to buy resurfaced stuff either but I'm picky
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

I don't go out of my way to grab scratched discs. lol. All based on price. :)
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I don't want scratched blu-rays in my collection because a scratch is much more likely to cause problems and is much more difficult to repair. But I've yet to have any problems so far; I've yet to come across a scratched (rather than dirty) blu-ray disc.

I work at a public library where we have a pro-quality resurfacing machine so I'm not too concerned about CDs and DVDs unless they're REALLY bad. I can get most discs to look/work like new pretty easily and if I save a few bucks buying a scratched CD/DVD, that's okay with me. The resurfacing machine has the capacity to resurface blu-ray discs with an upgrade, but it's pretty expensive to upgrade and since blu-rays have that protective coating, it's not yet been an issue and I don't see us upgrading anytime soon.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

I've seen quite a few scratched BDs. The majority of the time you have to look really close under a good light to see them though. They are usually very, very small. I never buy those if I'm looking at them in person.

I buy most games on eBay these days. I always try to buy sealed unless its too expensive. But if I can buy a lightly scratched DVD game for very cheap, I usually do. Have had mostly good luck with BD games because of the marvelous coating, but its not unsctrachable. From time to time I get one with the extremely hard to see micro scratches mentioned above. When I get one I buy another (PS3 is cheap).

The last game I dumped was The last of Us. It has three scratches. Each are a few millimeters long and very thin. Like hair thin. It dumped fine and checksum matched other dumps. Still bought another copy. I found a sealed one for $7 CAD shipped.. why not? lol

My Xbox One S scratched my 360 copy of Assassins Creed 3 pretty badly. I ejected it and it tried to pull it back in while my fingie was in the hole. The rollers did a real number on the disc. Still installs on my fat 360 just fine.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

The most scratched PS3 disc I have is the Jak and Daxter Collection. It has quite a few shallow, long, hair width scratches on it. Anyways, I've beaten J&D 1 tonight. Starting 2 now. Fingies crossed. Hehe :mrgreen:
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

fuctfuct wrote:I don't go out of my way to grab scratched discs. lol. All based on price. :)

as cheap as ps3 games are, shoot, i"ll find one down the ebay list and pay a little extra for mint. i hear you though.
i try and be a little picky because i figure if i ever need to sale it will be easier in better condition, that's all.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

stickem wrote:as cheap as ps3 games are, shoot, i"ll find one down the ebay list and pay a little extra for mint. i hear you though.
i try and be a little picky because i figure if i ever need to sale it will be easier in better condition, that's all.

Most of the time that is what I do. Sometimes scroll even further and a get sealed copy. If the price is reasonable. I just bought Metal Gear collection sealed for $25 CAD shipped. Only a few bucks more than "Like New." Sometimes it isn't that easy. Jak and Daxter Collection for example. The cheapest BIN on eBay.ca is 33 CAD shipped. And it's trashed looking. Was about the same when i bought a copy. I checked auctions (I usually do buy it now) and bid on one. Ended up getting one for $7 CAD shipped. "Very Good" but when it got here is was lightly scratched and the case was a little beat up. *shrugs* heh
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Fun fact- When BD was in design phases they were going to come in hard covers... similar to a zip disk. They eventually opted for the coating in final designs obviously. I think it would've been cool.

Honestly, I've never had a scratched BD movie or game act up. I remember that being a selling point coming off DVDs. They were most scratch resistant. Obviously that data portion is sensitive based on the coating & zip disk-ish design originally.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

BDs with hard covers like the first DVD-ROMs would have been rad. :(

DVDs scratch just by looking at them wrong. At least the scratches dont affect the data as much as CDs.