Shenmue III Release Topic

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Shenmue III Release Topic

Post by pierrot »

Segata wrote:I'm getting used to the HP dropping. Maybe when the game gets more intense will it be an issue but as for now. ROaming the quaint village it's not a big deal. The chopping wood mini game is really fun. Best job mini game in the series.

Yeah, I had a hard time not going back to the wood chopping again and again, in the demo. Also, I wasn't totally sold on the stamina thing, at the time, either, but it seems like money will probably be plentiful enough, and I'll probably spend more of my time walking around than running.

I'm installing the PC version, but unfortunately it looks like I'm going to be missing out on the international telephone card, that sick jacket skin, and the technique scrolls/capsule toy tickets. It's really just those first two that I care about, but apparently the backer versions of the game are different from the retail versions. The only solution I really got was to request for a backer version change to PC, which would be dependent on available stock, after all the shipping was finished, but then I'd probably miss out on the pre-order bonuses, I'm guessing. Also, I'd have a paper weight for a physical PC version. and probably not a very good one, at that. I'm trying to see if I can negotiate any other sort of resolution, but it doesn't look promising at the moment.

Has anyone used the international telephone card yet?

Also, Reprise, I appreciate the time you took to cite specifics, but Popo, if you want to continue debating it, could you break the posts out into a separate topic, please.
Last edited by pierrot on Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I stopped reading video game news years ago. I'm actually pretty happy about it.

I won't be picking up Shenmue III. It's not because of any bad press or anything, I just never played the first two, and this seems like a series worth starting at the beginning. I would probably enjoy them immensely from what I've seen. Despite not picking it up, I hope the game does well and fans enjoy it. To those of you who have bought it, good, have a good time. To those of you on the fence, if you can afford it, go ahead and check it out. You can return it if you want, but maybe you'll find the game worthwhile. To those of you who don't want it, don't worry about it. Plenty of games to play.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

pierrot wrote:Has anyone used the international telephone card yet?

Also, Reprise, I appreciate the time you took to cite specifics, but Popo, if you want to continue debating it, could you break the posts out into a separate topic, please.

No, not yet, as the codes only went live at midnight and I haven't had much of a chance to play today. I'm not actually sure how to use it, I assume I need to find a phone box somewhere like in the first game? That just made me realise... phones were removed from the second game weren't they?

And yeah, sorry for veering off topic and apologies for my post, Sload Soap.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Fangamer has failed to send me my code yet. I sent them messages on social media and email and they are ignoring it.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Legit post, Ack. Have fun blasting the faces off of your many digital nazi-werewolf-alien foes.

Reprise wrote:No, not yet, as the codes only went live at midnight and I haven't had much of a chance to play today. I'm not actually sure how to use it, I assume I need to find a phone box somewhere like in the first game? That just made me realise... phones were removed from the second game weren't they?

I thought I remembered there being a phone booth in Hakkason, in the demo, but maybe it was empty? Could be phones don't show up much until Choubu, perhaps? Yeah, Shenmue II has phones, they just can't be used at all.

Segata wrote:Fangamer has failed to send me my code yet. I sent them messages on social media and email and they are ignoring it.

That's weird. You backed an $80+ tier, and it's not in your downloads section of your survey page? Contacting Fangamer directly might not be that effective. I've gotten responses from the info@shenmue.link backer support email, but I think they're on Japan time.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

pierrot wrote:I thought I remembered there being a phone booth in Hakkason, in the demo, but maybe it was empty? Could be phones don't show up much until Choubu, perhaps? Yeah, Shenmue II has phones, they just can't be used at all.

It seems to be empty. I can't see a phone in the booth. Well either that or I'm an idiot who doesn't realise I'm supposed to press or do something.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I think it was probably just empty, then. I remember taking a look at the phone booth, but was hazy on whether or not there was a working phone in there.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Reprise wrote:Sorry, I am aware I look insane. It's what Shenmue does to you.

I appreciate the fact that you are aware of how insane Shenmue fans seem to non-fans. I tried it back in the day and could not figure out why people enjoyed it. I'm happy that you and the other Shenmue fans are getting something they like. But the level of surprise Shenmue fans sometimes show for people who don't share their feelings borders on religious fervor.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

I've played about 2 hours so far. I'm really impressed with what I've seen so far. I'm definitely enjoying the exploration aspects. I think I'm still in the game's tutorial as far as gameplay mechanics. Had a fight and learned the combat system, which is decent. I like the collections. I've also redeemed my backer rewards, which you have to do in the options screen. The items appear in your inventory right after. You do the same thing if you want to see backer credits. I've not used the international calling card but I'm excited to when I have some free time.

So far, so good! I'm actively avoiding the internet for spoilers and reviews. I just want to experience this one without anyone else shaping my opinion, reactions, or perspectives just yet.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I finished up Shenmue II late last night, and got into a tiny bit of Shenmue III a little bit after that. Honestly, I'm glad I did play through Shenmue II again before really starting Shenmue III, but the shift in visuals was so drastic, and jarring, that I was a little put off at first. Fidelity be damned, that cave at the end of Shenmue II looks way better than it does in the intro of Shenmue III. It was so gorgeous! The recap video is entertaining enough, and short enough to not be too much of an information dump on new players, I think, but it really glosses over a lot of the finer details. It really loses most of the allusions, and foreshadowing, particularly from the second half of Shenmue II, which I feel like is potentially really important, and gratifying. At least that gives me a reason to still recommend that people play the first two games, if they haven't. Especially the second game.

I've barely progressed the story so far. I've been doing the usual Shenmue thing of just watching the clouds roll by, and the birds fly off into the mountains of Guilin, while lazily strolling through the fields and picking herbs. Talked with a few people in Hakkason, though. Even though I'm just in the same areas as the demo, I still like wandering around this little corner of the Shenmue world. It's pretty intense to experience Shenmue with these sorts of graphics. They went pretty hard on the graphics for this.

One thing that I've found, that really puzzles me, is that they removed all the interaction points in the shop, and the houses in the village, etc, that were there in the demo. I don't really get why they would put all of those in to the demo, and then not have them in the full game. I mean there were at least 20 or 30 points of interaction in Tao's store alone, and now there don't appear to be any. What would be the harm in leaving at least one of two? I don't really get it, but oh well.

With the Digital Deluxe edition I got an aviator flight jacket for Ryo. It's kind of cool, I'll probably take a snap shot of it, but it doesn't look anywhere near as funky fresh as that backer skin, which is bugging me a bit. I also got a kenpogi that looks kind of ugly, I think. The other main thing with it, I guess, are the two technique scrolls, which are pretty much flashy combos. One of them kind of reminds me of a combo that Ryo does after a multi-step QTE in Shenmue II.

What are the two backer techniques looking like, if anyone has them? I'm wondering how upset I should be that I probably won't be able to use them. Also, there's a page of phone numbers for a bunch of the characters from the previous two games in the back of the notebook, but in my notebook the last two digits for all of them are just Xs. Are those filled in for all of you who have the international phone card?

edit: Aw, frick! I just heard the remix of the Da Yuan Apartment theme in the soundtrack. Those absolute madmen! They really put my favorite piece of music from the series in this game!