I've decided - I will sell my collection

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: I've decided - I will sell my collection

Post by Jagosaurus »

Especially if you're looking at moving, the square footage to store (or added to new house when buying) & insure the house for that sq ft will far exceed the value of any games over time.

If your collection gets big enough to where above isn't true, you should also be paying for high dollar specialty insurance.

I finally had to realize that even for crazy high games, which are the VAST minority, I could always buy, play, sell... or just emu. For most games, I'm not worried about a $7 PS2 game rising to $20 over time. I sold about 100 PS2 games based on this.

Just sharing a paradigm shift I went through around 2016 or so.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Not sure about the specialty insurance. It may be good for renters, but I have a pretty substantial collection, and I’ve confirmed that my homeowners policy would cover its replacement value if it were destroyed.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

How to make money on Video games in 4 steps

1. Take out insurance Policy.
2. Start You Tube Channel and insessently talk about games that you bought cheap, don't shut up about them and thus drive up their price.
3. Once most of your collection is worth $50 and up cash out with suspicious house fire
4. $$$$$$$$$$
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Not sure about the specialty insurance. It may be good for renters, but I have a pretty substantial collection, and I’ve confirmed that my homeowners policy would cover its replacement value if it were destroyed.

My agent told me homeowners would cover it to some extent. Essentially it be a "100 vintage video games" at "x per" versus a claim versus going by an Excel value list for Little Sampson. I know items depreciate as well on insurance claims. Not good for 20 year old items. He said that extension coverage on high end items or collections typically requires specialty insurance for adequate coverage. Same goes for valuable guns versus a Remington 870, stamps, etc. He's a buddy of mine so I trust him. My mom took out a specific, additional policy on her jewelry for example.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I think it will depend on the policy, obviously. Ours covers replacement value for personal effects, collections, etc. up to a very hefty amount (i.e., way more than my video game collection is worth). I would have to present proof of both the collection (e.g., an inventory, pictures, etc.) and it’s value (e.g., eBay completed listings, VGPC, etc.).
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I think it will depend on the policy, obviously. Ours covers replacement value for personal effects, collections, etc. up to a very hefty amount (i.e., way more than my video game collection is worth). I would have to present proof of both the collection (e.g., an inventory, pictures, etc.) and it’s value (e.g., eBay completed listings, VGPC, etc.).

You sound like an attorney ... oh wait :lol: 8)

Mrs Jago bought an expensive rug. Literally the next week, Hurricane Harvey hit. Fortunately our home is 2 stories. Most bedrooms, the gameroom, home office & personal effects are upstairs. Downstairs, including the rug, were no bueno. We still had the receipt. Big dollar value was axed off it on claim payout. The depreciation on the items as a whole was killer. Agreed. Of course, everything can vary by plan. If you want anything specific covered dollar for dollar (especially collectables or jewelry), it's going to be a detailed conversation with your agent on your plan. My father in law lost his blu ray collection of about 500 movies in the same event :(. Similar story.

All that said, take sq ft & insurance into the dollar equation. Also, some movers charge by pound "over x" .... geeze just packing up my collection last round gave me anxiety :P I wasn't moving another one.

o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I would have to present proof of both the collection (e.g., an inventory, pictures, etc.) and it’s value (e.g., eBay completed listings, VGPC, etc.).

See, that sounds like quite a bit of time and effort!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:I would have to present proof of both the collection (e.g., an inventory, pictures, etc.) and it’s value (e.g., eBay completed listings, VGPC, etc.).

See, that sounds like quite a bit of time and effort!

:lol:

Yeah...I’m kinda falling down on the whole pictures and inventory thing...
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Keep me in mind if you have a virtual boy. I'm extremely poor but my VB doesn't have anything except the unit itself and I want to play it already :lol:
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Ziggy, just wanted to say best of luck with the transition and that you're making the right decision. I live in Queens, so I understand the gripe with the living expenses in the area. However, I've been in NYC and Westchester my whole life and enjoy the area and lifestyle. My main thing the past few years has also been to save as much as possible, as my GF and I hope to buy a place in Queens down the line.

I've treated gaming as a budget hobby the past 10 years or so. I've only purchased about 5 physical games each year throughout that time, and only a handful of digital games. I don't have much of a "collection" compared to some, but I'm fine having about 20 games for the few consoles I really enjoy (SNES, Genesis, PS1, DC, 360).

Regarding your possible relocation, I'd also like to recommend the Albany area. My sister and cousin both moved up there recently for job opportunities. My sister is renting for quite cheap and my cousin purchased a house, and both really enjoy being in that area. Another location that a few of my friends moved to from NY is Connecticut. Two of my friends were able to buy nice houses in the Norwalk and Milford areas for affordable prices and much lower taxes than in NY. It's also centrally located, and an easy commute to NYC.

I'm still looking for a few Genesis and SNES games I owned or played as a kid, so keep us posted on your sale!

Pook, if I'm ever up in Albany to visit family -- I'd like to get down to play some retro games sometime!