Sega Genesis Mini 2019 - Not Flashback, Not AtGames

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Sega Genesis Mini 2019 - Not Flashback, Not AtGames

Post by Jagosaurus »

Mentioned this much earlier, but Beyond Oasis is really intended to be played with 6 button as well. Changes the flow considerably. I've only seen 1 article & 0 videos mention this.

Beyond Oasis (also uses the mode button for weapon switching as MODE+B)

Button A
Returns to Title screen from Diary
Performs special fighting moves
Cancels selections in Options screens
Casts spirit summoning ball of energy (Light Ball)

Button B
Enters selections
Selects items in Options screens
Uses equiped weapon
Picks up items when standing over them

Button C
Advances to the Title screen from the story screens
Makes Ali jump

Note:
Button X - Accesses Map screen
Button Y - Accesses Weapons options
Button Z - Accesses Items options

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Jagosaurus wrote:Mentioned this much earlier, but Beyond Oasis is really intended to be played with 6 button as well. Changes the flow considerably. I've only seen 1 article & 0 videos mention this.

Beyond Oasis (also uses the mode button for weapon switching as MODE+B)

Button A
Casts spirit summoning ball of energy (Light Ball)

Button B
Enters selections
Selects items in Options screens
Uses equiped weapon
Picks up items when standing over them

Button C
Advances to the Title screen from the story screens
Makes Ali jump

Note:
Button X - Accesses Map screen
Button Y - Accesses Weapons options
Button Z - Accesses Items options

Wow! :shock: I never knew that Beyond Oasis has a legitimate in-game use for the mode button. In all my years as a Sega Genesis fan I never had a good reason to use the mode button.

I always thought that the mode button was just a compatibility feature for forcing the six-button controller to act like a three-button controller. The mode button always seemed kinda useless to me, because I have plenty of three-button controllers. I’m told that Ms. PAC-MAN won’t run in with a six-button controller unless you use the mode button for compatibility. I never actually tested that out for myself.

Thanks for the new info, Jag. I got to learn something new about Sega Genesis today. 8)
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

samsonlonghair wrote:Wow! :shock: I never knew that Beyond Oasis has a legitimate in-game use for the mode button. In all my years as a Sega Genesis fan I never had a good reason to use the mode button.

I always thought that the mode button was just a compatibility feature for forcing the six-button controller to act like a three-button controller. The mode button always seemed kinda useless to me, because I have plenty of three-button controllers. I’m told that Ms. PAC-MAN won’t run in with a six-button controller unless you use the mode button for compatibility. I never actually tested that out for myself.

Thanks for the new info, Jag. I got to learn something new about Sega Genesis today. 8)

Nice! Happy I could impart some knowledge. Metal Head, the 3D mech game on 32x also uses the mode button:

The default view is inside your Metal Head, but by pressing the mode button you can switch views, including one behind the Metal Head and another which is set up in the sky, looking down

For Beyond Oasis, the 3 menus via X, Y, Z are accessed via start & then navigation on 3 button IIRC. Even outside of the mode functionality, this helps flow also. Like shortcut keys. Been a bit since I tested it, but I was impressed with how they both changed up the scheme quite a bit.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Beyond Oasis is one of those "secret" 6-button games. It's not mentioned anywhere on the box.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Does anyone know if there is a similar version of these (which I use with my SNES Mini) for the Genesis Mini? Looking for a good BT 6-button Genesis controller...

F34DB5C6-225A-493A-8A24-2ACC9ED9F5AD.jpeg
F34DB5C6-225A-493A-8A24-2ACC9ED9F5AD.jpeg (248.71 KiB) Viewed 3903 times
marurun

Post by marurun »

You can go Saturn-style, or you can go Genesis-style.

You can also get them directly from Retro-Bit. Your options are black or translucent.

Edit: didn't notice the BT designation. I don't know of any wireless ones YET. But it may just be a matter of time.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

dsheinem wrote:Does anyone know if there is a similar version of these (which I use with my SNES Mini) for the Genesis Mini? Looking for a good BT 6-button Genesis controller...

F34DB5C6-225A-493A-8A24-2ACC9ED9F5AD.jpeg

I think 8bitdo released a wireless Genesis controller. Let me see if it works with the Genesis mini...

Edit: just checked. 8bitDo released a usb Bluetooth receiver when the PlayStation classic came out.
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Contro ... 6583342217

That should work seamlessly with any of 8bitDo’s Bluetooth controllers including this one:

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Bluetooth ... 7372&psc=1

I say it “should” work because I obviously have no way to test that currently. So take it for what it’s worth.

EDIT:
Just following up, 8-bitdo now sells a wireless six-button Genesis controller with an included USB receiver for the Genesis Mini. This item will be released on October 18, 2019.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XPHP57T?tag=theverge02-20
Last edited by samsonlonghair on Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

eh, that “Genesis style” one isn’t really that close...it’s probably a pass...hopefully they do something as close/perfect as their SNES controllers.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

dsheinem wrote:eh, that “Genesis style” one isn’t really that close...it’s probably a pass...hopefully they do something as close/perfect as their SNES controllers.

I'm hoping for the same thing!
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think the goal of the Genesis-style one wasn't to mimic the Genesis controller perfectly but to try to improve on it. Not sure if they succeeded as I haven't used it. Besides, the Saturn second model controller is the pinnacle of 6-button controller design.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.