Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Sarge »

Well done, then. I'm seriously impressed. I'm not sure how many hours it took me for a legit win at the original Contra, but I'm also a bit better than I used to be, too. And those skills translate directly over to Super C, which helps a ton.

My least favorite boss is the one that spawns the skulls and the little alien cells. I have no-deathed that with the pea shooter, and it is intense.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

My fave is still Contra III on SNES.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Sarge wrote:Well done, then. I'm seriously impressed. I'm not sure how many hours it took me for a legit win at the original Contra, but I'm also a bit better than I used to be, too. And those skills translate directly over to Super C, which helps a ton.

My least favorite boss is the one that spawns the skulls and the little alien cells. I have no-deathed that with the pea shooter, and it is intense.

I edited my post, yeah I don't know how I beat that boss with the pea shooter. He hit me once but I somehow managed to stick to the middle firing away, while sometimes taking out the other crap and took him down. Was a miracle. I got through stage 6-8 tonight for the first time without a game over!

I guess it took me 3 nights on Contra this week. Maybe like 5-6 hours on that one, or maybe that's exaggerated. But yeah it was easy to jump into Super C after that.

I'd chalk some of it up as a testament to how good these games still are to this day though. Everything about the controls and whatnot felt like perfection.

And seriously though ... it hasn't been the Contra games making me rage this week, it's that damn Final Fight CD. :lol:
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

After beating it on Hard, Contra III's not my fave...

And yes, I jacked up the number of lives. Which actually makes no difference, given that I can just farm them either at the start or the last stage, where I actually need them. :)

Xeo, that seems about right. Especially if you've played a lot of other action games. I wish I'd had those skills earlier in life, I could have impressed some folks. (Of course, I was playing lots of Mega Man, so I could definitely show off a bit there.)
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:@Pierrot

I'm fairly impressed you stuck with Yakuza all the way to the end! I can generally never stick with games that don't gel with me, especially ones that are so dang long. I will say that Yakuza is a series that has gotten MUCH better as the games have gone on. Better gameplay, better diversions, and better characters. The first game is really rough around the edges both mechanically and narrative-wise, so it's cool that they threw it in the Yakuza 0 engine for a full remake recently.

I tend not to give up on things. Sometimes to my own detriment. Yakuza's still a pretty good game, though. I can acknowledge that. it's just that I have some misgivings about it, as well.

The quality certainly seems to ratchet up with the later releases, but I'm still stuck on how little need there was for a sequel, in terms of the story. I feel like they should have just used some new character in the Oumi Rengou to build the story out with sequels. Eventually my curiosity will probably get the better of me though, since I own 2 and 3. It's just irksome to me.

Also, what the hell are Beat Takeshi, Oguri Shun, and Fujiwara Tatsuya doing in 6.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I grew up on Mega Man, so that might be the secret. I still think MM1 is brokenly hard though, but I didn't grow up with that one. The boss rush and moments like Elec Man being able to take you out in ~2 hit is completely crazy. But after that 2-6 are easy in my book, lol.

Like we were talking the other day, it remains to be seen what I'll think when I revisit Batman NES... sometime soon. I wonder if that one will break me, even though I definitely beat it a few times as a kid. :lol:

I looked up Return of Joker though and nothing about it looks familiar, so I'm kind of thinking I never played that one.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Well, that was interesting. Figured I'd use what I knew from Contra III and put it to use with a better end boss run (yes, I used a save state I had there to test). Managed to keep my death count significantly in all the attempts, mainly from better strategy on which forms to trigger. The worst I get is still the bubbles, but generally I'll hit either the brain one or the rocks. The rocks are actually pretty easy, you can scoot right up to the boss and duck down, and they won't touch you. A quirk of programming, I guess, but I'll take it!

It also included a perfect run, which was awesome. :) By the way, alternating two Crush weapons back and forth blows stuff up real fast. His last form didn't stand a chance. :D
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:I know exactly what I'm replaying after Contra[/url]. The series that not even anyone here on RB ever talks much about. Also checked out Mega Turrican and it seems like a religious experience for me. Can't wait to get through the whole thing, somehow never played much of that one.

I owned Super Turrican back in the 90s, bought it from a Walmart when I was in high school. I never did beat it, but I remember it had awesome music. Super Turrican 2 is also really impressive. I should go back and finish both of those. They were from a time when Factor 5 were making good games.
pierrot wrote:Yakuza's still a pretty good game, though.

I'd say it's a pretty great game. I didn't beat the original PS2 Yakuza until 2013. I thought it had aged well and was a lot of fun.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 44

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (7 Games Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4
39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6
40. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch - May 6
41. Outlast II - PlayStation 4 - May 7
42. Dishonored - PlayStation 4 - May 10
43. Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - Switch - May 12
44. Pikmin - Gamecube - May 12

44. Pikmin - Gamecube - May 12

Pikmin is a game that's been in my collection for years but that I've never played for more than about two hours until this week. See, I hate time limits. Like, that's pretty much my least favorite thing in a game. It's why Majora's Mask is my second least favorite Zelda game after Zelda II (I haven't played the CD-i games). I decided I should probably put on my big boy britches and actually play through it, though, since I think it's the only Nintendo IP I've not played, so that's exactly what I did this week.

Pikmin is, at its core, a real time strategy game, but rarely does it feel like one. You're not base building or destroying enemy cities or installations or anything. You've your little Pikmin - fire-proof red ones that hit hard, super light yellow ones that can hold bombs, and amphibious blue ones that can touch a water molecule without instantly dying. You'll have to build up your supply of each type of Pikmin and use the right one for the right job. They're also ridiculously stupid and will charge headfirst at an enemy that it definitely can't kill, and the yellow and red ones will jump into water with a total disregard for their own safety just like America jumped into the Trump administration.

The story is that Olimar, this little pigmy looking dude with Vulcan ears, crash landed on this planet. His space suit only had 30 days' worth of life support before he dies from exposure to oxygen (it's toxic to him). He's gotta scour this planet for 30 missing parts to his ship, although there are really only like 20 that are REQUIRED to get back into space, so as long as you find the right pieces, you don't technically have to find all 30 (although it's not terribly difficult to find them all with time to spare; I did it in 24 days). Without spoiling anything, I will give you some advice, though; leave yourself at least two days for the last area (it took me three because I fucked up and wasted the bombs, costing me a day).

One thing I did really love about Pikmin, however, was the surprising and frankly rather deceptive look of the game. It looks like a fairly cute, innocent little game. You've got this cute, funny looking little guy and all these adorable little creatures...and then you start talking about suffocation, you hear Pikmin scream as they drown, you see them get eaten, mauled, and crushed to death, and you watch them burn to death. Like, damn, dude. This game, despite being super colorful and cheerful, is actually pretty fucking dark when you think about it. That juxtaposition between the aesthetic of the game and the dark reality of what's going on is just brilliant in my opinion and artistic af.

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of Pikmin. I know I said I love how jarring the contrast between the look and reality of the game are, and I do really admire that about it, but there are a couple things that really keep me from loving it. First is that the Pikmin AI could have used some work. I'm not saying they should be autonomous and play the game for me, but I should be able to walk across a bridge without ten of my dudes deciding to jump to a watery grave despite my best efforts to keep them on land. They also seem to get caught on every conceivable obstacle in the environment, and lord help me if I'll ever find half of them. The look is cute, the story is interesting, and the gameplay can be fun, but between my gripes with the AI and the fact that I utterly LOATH time constraints in games, I just can't bring myself to love this one. I liked it enough to play the others in the series, so I'll eventually get Pikmin 2 on either Gamecube or Wii, and I already have Pikmin 3 sitting on my Wii U shelf. This one just doesn't rank that high for me.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of Pikmin. I know I said I love how jarring the contrast between the look and reality of the game are, and I do really admire that about it, but there are a couple things that really keep me from loving it. First is that the Pikmin AI could have used some work. I'm not saying they should be autonomous and play the game for me, but I should be able to walk across a bridge without ten of my dudes deciding to jump to a watery grave despite my best efforts to keep them on land. They also seem to get caught on every conceivable obstacle in the environment, and lord help me if I'll ever find half of them. The look is cute, the story is interesting, and the gameplay can be fun, but between my gripes with the AI and the fact that I utterly LOATH time constraints in games, I just can't bring myself to love this one. I liked it enough to play the others in the series, so I'll eventually get Pikmin 2 on either Gamecube or Wii, and I already have Pikmin 3 sitting on my Wii U shelf. This one just doesn't rank that high for me.

It won't help now you're done, but holding the stick away from your character as you walk makes your Pikmin form a narrow line behind you, which stops them walking off bridges all the time.

The C stick is your best friend in general in that game. Rushing big enemies on mass from behind is the best way to kill them. Using it to pull away from corners stops Pikin getting stuck too.

Pikmin who are lost show up as coloured dots on your map screen.