Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by pierrot »

Xeogred wrote:The huge alien head after that was a tough one because of that stupid snake that would twirl around and ram into you, I could never figure out a safe spot or any patterns. Seemed like sheer luck.

I actually beat this on the Super Famicom last night (Contra Spirits), and I found that this phase was pretty easy with the crush weapon, and a power bomb. If you scroll the screen in, and immediately go to one of the edges, start firing upward, and drop a power bomb as the boss is dropping in from above. The arm you're firing at should disappear in a few seconds. Start firing at the other one, while running toward it. The arms come out to set distances. The "unavoidable" one you mention is probably the one where it follows you across the screen. Basically, once the arm starts to come out, and gets to about the area below the face of the alien, jump, and the arm will take a path you can easily avoid, while counterattacking, as well. Usually doesn't take long for the second arm to disappear too, but it could end up retracting, and firing those three fanned out bullets, which makes it even easier to take it out.

From there, I had to farm lives off the popcorn enemies in order to get past the form that chases you on the helicopter. It took all of Exed's wisdom to get me through the brain phase, and I was not at all happy that there was something after it, when I first got that far. Contra Spirits has unlimited continues, and I would not have played the game any other way.

I don't understand why anyone would like Contra III more than Hard Corps. For all intents and purposes, Hard Corps is just III, without the crap stages, and everything ratcheted up to 11. Also, while Tappy did his best, his soundtrack is hamstrung by the SNES, and it's sad. The Hard Corps soundtrack is crazy, son. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1velVMs7vqM
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Gyromite (NES)
3. Lucy -The Eternity She Wished For- (Steam)
4. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom)
5. Radical Dreamers (SNES)
6. Video Games 1 (TI-99/4A)
7. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (Famicom)
8. Exile (TurboGrafx CD)
9. Exile: Wicked Phenomenon (TurboGrafx CD)
10. Xak (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
11. Xak II (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
12. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
13. Captain Silver (Sega Master System)
14. Märchen Veil (Famicom Disk System)
15. Vanguard (Atari 2600)
16. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
17. Front Line (Atari 2600)
18. Mario Bros. (Atari 2600)
19. Harmonia (Steam)
20. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
21. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
22. Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes (TurboGrafx CD)
23. Gorf (Atari 2600)
24. Neutopia II (TurboGrafx-16)
25. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2, Taito Legends 2)
26. The Lost Vikings (SNES)
27. Blue's Journey (Wii Virtual Console)
28. Wizard Fire (Wii, Data East Arcade Classics)
29. Super Mario Run (Android)
30. Dragon Warrior II (NES)
31. Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure (GOG.com)
32. Witch & Hero (Nintendo eShop)
33. Phoenix (Atari 2600)
34. Emerald Dragon (Super Famicom)
35. Sky Skipper (Atari 2600)
36. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
37. Cadash (TurboGrafx-16)
38. Cadash (Genesis)
39. Popeye (Atari 2600)
40. Mega Man 2 (NES)

Revisiting this for the first time in forever. It was the most-rented title of my childhood, and I've only managed to claim ownership of a copy fairly recently.

I know little of the Mega Man series, or how this one compares to its brethren, but on its own Mega Man 2 is a standout title.
There's a nice element of nonlinearity and replayability here, as robot masters can be taken on in any order (that said, I've always followed the recommended sequence set forth by the NES Game Atlas). Graphics are clean, straightforward, and pleasant, and the OST is one of the best found on the NES. Control is good but takes a bit getting used to. This isn't a true "run and gun" - it's more like a precise and rigid platformer where the protagonists happens to have a projectile weapon.
The robot master stages are awesome, each with a given theme. Wood Man's stage has you weaving in and out of trees, Air Man's stage is all about precision high altitude platforming, and Quick Man's stage requires one literally be quick, to give but a few examples. The back half of the game dips in quality a bit. The final string of Dr. Wily levels are kinda slapdash, with some cheap insta-deaths and irritating boss battles (the stationary laser-shooting thing is pure bullshit). The robot boss rush and last few skirmishes against Wily himself are pretty fun, however.

Overall, a fantastic game. Has me itching to check out the rest of the series someday. I own Mega Man 5, but honestly can't remember if I've ever finished it. I once purchased a compilation with the intention of rolling through all six classic titles, but I found the first game so difficult I just gave up.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Good to see. Thought you hated everything that's not an RPG. 8)

Yes, the difficulty is much easier after the first game. 4-6 are pretty much cake walks because the charge buster breaks the game and destroys the bosses. You no longer really have to worry much about figuring out their weak elements.

@pierrot: Looking forward to it. I definitely like Hard Corps' scaling a little more! Smaller player sprites.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

pierrot wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would like Contra III more than Hard Corps. For all intents and purposes, Hard Corps is just III, without the crap stages, and everything ratcheted up to 11.

I feel like Hard Corp definitely reaches some high points on par with 3, but it also has some terrible low points that are absent from Contra 3.

They are both certainly awesome games though. I just think 3 is a front-to-back adrenaline rush, whereas HC is a more varied (both in good and bad) romp.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I enjoy Contra 3's crazy stages and their variety. Hard Corps is awesome, but its stages aren't on par with Contra 3's.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

1. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (PCE-CD)
2. Mega Bomberman (GEN)
3. Lost in Shadow (Wii)
4. Kirby's Dream Land (via Wii Dream Collection) (GB)
5. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (via Wii Dream Collection) (GB)
6. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (via Wii Dream Collection) (SNES)
7. Saturn Bomberman (SAT)
8. Rent a Hero (GEN)
9. Tricolore Crise (DC)
10. Super Mario: Yoshi Island (SFC)
11. Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchou no Daibouken (Joukan) (SAT)
12. Mickey to Donald: Magical Adventure 3 (SFC)
13. Kishin Douji Zenki: Battle Raiden (SFC)
14. Super Donkey Kong (SFC)
15. Super Donkey Kong 2: Dixie & Diddy (SFC)
16. Anearth Fantasy Stories: First Volume (SAT)
17. Panzer Dragoon (SAT)
18. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (SAT)
19. Panzer Dragoon Orta (XBOX)
20. Cross Tantei Monogatari
21. Dragon Quest V (PS2)
22. Ryu ga Gotoku (PS2)
23. Dragon Slayer: Eiyuu Densetsu II (GEN)
24. Rokudenashi Blues: Taiketsu! Tokyo Shitennou (SFC)
25. Ranma 1/2: Bakuretsu Rantou Hen (SFC)
26. Contra Spirits (SFC)

Rokudenashi Blues is kind of an interesting game. There are two versus modes--PvP, and PvC--but the main draw is probably the story mode. It plays basically like an adventure game, with six (might have been seven, actually) boss fights at the end of each chapter. Oddly, the last boss, who was supposed to be this bad-ass who was breaking peoples ribs, and hospitalizing all the other Shitennou, was the easiest in the game, and far easier than the two before him. The game is based on a Shuukan Shounen Jump manga series, that ran for about ten years. I don't know anything about that, but the story in the game starts about from zero, where the main character, Maeda, is being reinstated as a high school freshman, after being suspended in his first few days at the school. All together, the story follows Maeda through all three years of high school, and I would assume it's summarizing all, or most, of the major arcs in the manga. The adventure portions of the game can be a little annoying, just because the game often requires one to move back and forth between a handful of screens, and often makes the player go back to a screen she just came from.

I kind of enjoyed the story, even though it was presented in a very choppy, condensed manner. I found it funny at times, and I especially enjoyed how they kept having Maeda punch this longer haired student council member in the face--sometimes before he's even said anything--because he's always sticking his nose into Maeda's business. At one point in the game, when I threw a can that was on the ground, it hit the student council kid off screen, and as he comes in to reprimand Maeda, he got socked in the face. That had to be my favorite running gag.

So there are a number of times when the player can interact with some things in the background, or on the ground, like drinking something in a can that's been left on the street, eating some bread left in a trash can, or picking up a dirty magazine/elicit photos, but this usually either drops Maeda's health, or his anger level. So, this is as good a time as any to mention the fighting aspect of the game. It's not terrible, but it's not especially involved, either. There's a standard back for block, low block, and up to jump configuration, and two main attack buttons (punch and kick). There are also two special attack buttons, which I could not figure out until the second to last fight, because they don't do anything with just the button presses themselves. They require motions that are character specific. There's also a dodge maneuver mapped to the shoulder buttons, but I could never reliably use it. I mentioned the anger gauge, which seems like a way to use a super, but I couldn't get it. (I don't have the manual for the game.) I made it through most of the story mode with just the two regular punch and kick buttons; So, while there is some modest depth in the fighting, it's still a pretty simple game.

I feel like there's some fun to be had in the two player mode for this, but it's not really a very good fighting game, and while the story is kind of interesting, I think it would potentially be better to just read the manga, if the comedic yankee genre is something that appeals to someone.

Speaking of, one of the Shitennou is named Onidzuka, and I got a little confused into thinking that Rokudenashi Blues was the series that GTO branched off of, but no. GTO came from Shounan Junaigumi! They're both set in Kichijouji, though.

---

Ranma 1/2: Bakuretsu Rantou Hen includes a story mode, and has a character named Pan-sto Taro. That's all I've got. It plays like a one button fighter, because nothing is more effective than the hard attack button, alternating high, low, and jump attack. I played as Ukyo, and most of the time, I won by mashing out hard attacks, while inching closer to the opponent, if I was out of range. There isn't even anything here for Ranma 1/2 fans, either. The Principal (I never watched enough Ranma 1/2 to really know who this is, but he's surely Hawaiian) offers to help Ukyo with her business ventures (an okonomiyaki stand) if she can win a tournament he put together. She obliges, because she's from Osaka, and will do anything to make more money (obviously). From there, the story is basically over, and defeating the opponents usually just resulted in some chatter about Ukyo's skills with a Kote (a little spatula used in preparing/eating okonomiyaki). The ending was just a short gag that showed the Principal's idea of assistance to be regularly stopping to eat at her stand. HAHAHAHAHA--.

It was released in the US as Ranma 1/2: Hard battle, and in either form, it's entirely skip-able. The graphics are kind of nice, but the sound is terrible, and it's just not much fun to play.

---

Contra Spirits: I'm not into it. That is all.

dunpeal2064 wrote:I feel like Hard Corp definitely reaches some high points on par with 3, but it also has some terrible low points that are absent from Contra 3.

They are both certainly awesome games though. I just think 3 is a front-to-back adrenaline rush, whereas HC is a more varied (both in good and bad) romp.

Exhuminator wrote:I enjoy Contra 3's crazy stages and their variety. Hard Corps is awesome, but its stages aren't on par with Contra 3's.

Sirs, y'all's crazy. III is like traipsing through a meadow of daisies compared to the chop-shop carwash from hell that is Hard Corps. (I don't mean from a difficulty perspective, but in the sense of their respective roller coaster rides.)
Last edited by pierrot on Sun May 14, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

pierrot wrote:Sirs, y'all's crazy. III is like traipsing through a meadow of daisies compared to the chop-shop carwash from hell that is Hard Corps. (I don't mean from a difficulty perspective, but in the sense of their respective roller coaster rides.)

Sure, it has spectacle that 3 doesn't, but it also has moments like fighting a giant robot that literally can't bother fighting back. There are so many more moments in HC that, spectacle aside, just suck. It lacks pacing, and often appears more concerned with presenting a spectacle than an arcade-like run 'n gun.

Contra 3 never lets up. It less often reaches the highs (In terms of spectacle) that HC does, but it never drudges into lows that HC too often does. Its tight, compact, and its Hard mode could easily be a coin-op machine.

I quite enjoy both games, but Contra 3 takes the cake by quite a margin for me. I'm not as much one for spectacle as gameplay though. :wink:
Ack

Post by Ack »

And yet, pierrot, Hard Battle is the better of the two SNES Ranma fighters, the other of which was reskinned to not be a Ranma property. Street Combat is the name, and it is awful.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Contra 3 never lets up. It less often reaches the highs (In terms of spectacle) that HC does, but it never drudges into lows that HC too often does.

Really? I thought there were plenty of places where it let up: Stages 2 and 5, the first boss, the search bot boss that rains out bombs and enemies in stage 3, the highway boss on wheels in stage 4. The only parts of the game where I felt it didn't let up were with the boss at the end of stage 4, and the gauntlet at the end of the game. I hate most of those bosses at the end of the game, though. Two of them (the two that try to ram you) have some attacks that feel outright unfair. I wasn't going to mention this, but I don't think 3 plays perfectly. I had some trouble with aiming (thanks, SNES d-pad), not dropping from hand holds into bottomless pits, and some suspect hit/hurt boxes. I was getting fed up with it, with unlimited continues. By comparison, I don't even care that Hard Corps is one hit death, and has limited continues, because it feels fair to me.

Ack wrote:And yet, pierrot, Hard Battle is the better of the two SNES Ranma fighters, the other of which was reskinned to not be a Ranma property. Street Combat is the name, and it is awful.
Oh, yeah. I don't have the will power to play that. For some reason, though, when I had tested out Hard Battle, a number of years ago, I thought it was pretty good. I don't understand why I thought that. There is Chougi Ranbu Hen for the SFC, though. It's supposed to be highly decent, at least.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I love Chougi Ranbu Hen. My avatar is from that game. Wish it'd been released in the US, and it almost was, but it was ultimately cancelled. If you're at all interested Pierrot, check it out. So much better than the first two it's kind of shocking.

Oh, and the Principal is in fact Japanese. He's just obsessed with Hawaii. :wink:
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.