Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 13

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (3 Game Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7

13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7

I picked this game up on a whim at Gamestop several months ago after seeing it for like $7 in their bargain bin, and I wasn't sure if or when I'd ever actually get around to playing it. I bought it primarily because I thoroughly enjoyed the actual Dante Alighieri's epic poem ​The Divine Comedy​ of which Inferno​ is the first part (followed by Purgatorio and Paradiso​ for those interested). I've got a thing for Judeo-Christian mythology, you see. I'm not religious, but I find the myths and lore surrounding angels, demons, the afterlife, etc. to be fascinating, so I naturally gravitate towards games that play into that theme. It's why I loved Bayonetta so much and why I'm such a huge fan of the Shin Megami Tensei series.

The game obviously takes some creative liberties with Alighieri's work, but for a gritty video game, it's really not a bad rendition. The gist of the game's story is that Dante was a crusader fighting under King Richard in the Third Crusade, and he did some really fucked up shit, and he comes home and everyone's dead, and some dude caps him, so he's all dead and shit, and he's going into Hell to save his wife's soul because she's being punished for his fuck ups. Apparently. For some reason. That part never really did make a whole lot of sense to me. Anyway, that stuff aside, the bulk of the game consists of Dante's journey through the nine circles of Hell, fighting his way towards Lucifer, meeting infamous sinners throughout history (and either absolving them or laughing at their eternal damnation), and confronting his own sins.

The game plays like your standard dark, gritty hack and slash. It's basically God of War with Judeo-Christian mythology replacing Greco-Roman mythology. Depending on whether you decide to be merciful or an ass hole, you can either "absolve" or "punish" various enemies and historical figures you encounter during your descent through Hell, and those choices will get you either Holy or Unholy points. You can level each side up to a maximum of 7, and each level unlocks different upgrades you can purchase. In addition to these upgrades, each of these levels grant passive bonuses; Holy levels will power up your projectile cross, and Unholy levels will power up your melee scythe.

The visuals are pretty good, and while the sound design is just average, the overall atmosphere of the game is great. While there is some enemy variation as you move deeper and deeper into Hell, for the most part, you'll be fighting the same few enemies over and over again, and that can get a bit tedious. Fortunately, the combat is fun enough that it never really starts to feel stale, and the game is straight up metal as fuck. You kill the grim reaper, you fight a monster that spews demons out of her nipples and has a giant spiked tentacle hiding in her vagina, you literally tear demons in half, you get hit Lucifer's dangly goat penis with a scythe.... Good times.

I thought Dante's Inferno was an absolutely fantastic time. I'm probably much more fond of it than the average gamer would be because it just happens to speak to my particular interests, but I had absolute ball with it from start to finish. Only a couple of spots throughout - mostly towards the end - got frustrating. By and large, it was an brilliant experience and a great way new take on a Renaissance masterpiece. It's not a terribly long game - maybe 7 or 8 hours - but it's great fun if you're into gore, hack and slash gameplay, and religious mythologies.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Glad you had fun Elkin, I thought that game was absolute trash. Browner than fuck with nothing but wall textures of flappy dicks, tits, and vaginas. God of War itself is like a 7/10 in my book, so a clone would be even worse. Extra disappointing since I think it was from the Dead Space team, which is one of my top favorite trilogies from last gen.

I would have rather bought 7 Wendy's Frosties, which would probably lead to diarrhea, but that's more fun than Dante's Inferno.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Xeogred wrote:I thought that game was absolute trash

Hahahahahaha yeah. Shockingly, I own that game. It's hilariously bad. Cornball ultraviolent "edgy" teenage pandering with hackneyed "religious" elements as the developers were too lazy to create their own setting and mythology. Kind of like a certain similar series based on Greek mythology. Hiyoooooooo.

The fact that a PSP port exists is kinda cool though.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

If you're still in the mood for a God of War clone, maybe take a look at Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death. Kind of goes the opposite direction, and just has fun. It's digital only, and probably belongs more in the PS2 generation (despite being a 360/PC only game). The Steam version commands a princely $4.99 these days.

I think I've played the opening or demo for Dante's Inferno, but that was about it. :lol:
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Never even heard of that game. Looks surprisingly decent! And cheesy. But decent!

It's got to be better than Garshasp: The Monster Slayer, which has a cool hook (it uses actual Persian mythology and was developed by Iranian programmers), but is ultimately too buggy and not "extreme" enough with the setpieces to make it worth playing. Which I did. (I totally just saved y'all some time there.)
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I stand by my positive review of Dante's Inferno!
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

Post by marurun »

The Spoiler Warning crew did a short season on Marlow Briggs. It was an amusing watch.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I'm not religious, but I find the myths and lore surrounding angels, demons, the afterlife, etc. to be fascinating, so I naturally gravitate towards games that play into that theme. It's why I loved Bayonetta so much and why I'm such a huge fan of the Shin Megami Tensei series.

Brah...
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/exile/exile.htm
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

As a specifically Christian religious person, I can't even count the number of ways that SMT and its ilk gets things wrong. But then, it's filtered through a Japanese video game, so of course it's messed up. I'm guessing it's not really any more accurate with all the other gods they portray, either.

Darksiders is a bit similar, but somehow bothers me less because it's over-the-top, comic book-style stuff.

(The games are still good, but man. I wish some guys would take some theology classes or something.)
marurun

Post by marurun »

Sarge wrote:As a specifically Christian religious person, I can't even count the number of ways that SMT and its ilk gets things wrong. But then, it's filtered through a Japanese video game, so of course it's messed up.
(The games are still good, but man. I wish some guys would take some theology classes or something.)

It's filtered through Japan, and THEN through a video game. Japan is a pretty typical Asian nation in regards to religion. If you ask the Japanese if they are religious, most say no. That's because, to them, religious means devout and dedicated, and for them, the two major religions, Shinto (native) and Buddhism (imported) have shifted their focus to accommodate each other. They believe, at least nominally, that their ancestors' spirits persist, and environmental spirits exist, etc... and that simple rituals bring them closer to their environment. But unlike western religions, they don't see one religion as usually being exclusive of another. Shinto and Buddhism have different focuses and don't really compete in Japan. Christianity does have history in Japan, but even Japanese Christians respect the roles that Shinto and Buddhism have come to play, because they are, at this point, more important culturally than religiously. The Japanese have the same attitude about their own two core religions that the Deists among our founding fathers probably had. "Of course God exists. And it doesn't really matter." Outside religions feel to the Japanese like cults, cults with lots of iconography and large bureaucracies.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.