Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Last Voyage (iOS) looks rad. Thanks for the heads up on that, DSH.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

MrPopo wrote:I don't think that's right. I recall being able to have the voices on for ME1 with classic graphics. I definitely know you get to do so in ME2.

In ME2 you do not need the talkie version, it works that way. In ME1 it does not keep the voice acting. If it is supposed to, I must have really screwed up the install from gog.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Another week, another update!

1. 3D Power Drift 3DS
2. Maze Hunter 3-D 3DS
3. Hyrule Warriors Legends 3DS
4. Icarus Proudbottom's World of Typing Weekly PC
5. Paper Mario N64
6. Catherine PS3
7. Glover N64
8. Blast Corps N64
9. Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together! Switch eShop
10. Pullblox 3DS eShop
11. Pokémon Picross 3DS eShop
12. Bare Knuckle III Mega Drive
13. The Legend of the Mystical Ninja SNES *NEW*

Replays!:
1. Bare Knuckle III Mega Drive *NEW*
2. Die Hard Arcade Saturn *NEW*
3. The World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck Mega Drive NEW*

So, I've decided I'll list games I replay and give them some very mini reviews too. I know some of you will say I should just include them in the main list, but I like seeing the main list as 'notable new experiences for this year', so I'm going to keep them seperate. The main list will feature games that are either being beaten for the first time, or games I've recently repurchased and am playing again for the first time in a while. The Replays list will be for everything else.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja was this months Together Retro pick, and I participated because it looks cool and I've been wanting to play it and, not least, because I was the one who picked it in the first place :lol:

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja is a sidescrolling platformer (some of the time) set in ancient Japan, where you play as the mysterious noble thief Goemon and his chubby partner Ebisumaru as you quest to save a princess whilst encountering a bunch of crazy characters, many based on Japanese folklore.

I say that Mystical Ninja is a sidescrolling platform "some of the time" because the conventional platforming sections actually only make up about 30-40% of the game by my estimates. The game actually features three distinct gameplay styles in my opinion, though some may classify them differently. The first is conventional platforming, the second is a sort of beat-em-up exploration mode around the local towns, and the final gameplay style is mini-games.

The sidescrolling platforming sections are super fun and relatively challenging. Goemon can jump freely (unlike the town sections, which I'll get to shortly), hit enemies with his pipe or throw money as a projectile. He can also use any bombs he may have purchased, giving several attack options to utlise, especially as he can attack upwards as well. Goemon is fairly nimble and can also crawl around on his belly when he needs to dodge attacks from up high. The range of Goemon's pipe can be increased by finding lucky cats up to 3 levels, where it turns into a yoyo with lots of range. Finding a golden lucky cat refills your life and extends it slightly until the end of the stage, and finding an elephant acts as a checkpoint until you run out of continues, although this wasn't something I had to worry about, as I'll also get to shortly.

At the end of each sidescrolling stage is a boss fight, which are generally very fun and quite challenging. Most of them are pretty doable if you come prepared, but one boss fight near the end of the game gave me a ton of grief - a wobbling boss who needed flipped upside down, but could knock you off you platform for an install kill.

The most common type of stage is the town levels, which play a bit differently. Goemon and Ebisumaru run around town defeating endlessly respawning enemies whilst trying to figure out what their next goal is. The focus is much more on dealing with enemies here, as platforming is minimal - which is good as the jumps in this mode are like classic Castlevania, and once you leave the ground you're commited to that jump until you land. Often tasks need completed in towns to unlock the main sidescrolling stage for that level, but a few levels don't include a sidescrolling stage at all, which is a shame. In the town exploration stages, Goemon and Ebisumaru can move vertically up and down the screen as well as horizontally, and the level design tends to be less linear. You can talk to townsfolk in houses for clues, buy items in the shop, play mini-games for money, relax in the sauna and much more in the towns. The secondary goal of these town stages is to power up ahead of the boss.

Shops in town sell many useful items for facing the otherwise very challenging levels. Items include extra lives, healing items that activate when your health bar runs out, armor that allows you to take a few hits without taking damage, sandals that raise your movement speed and helmets that block damage from above among others. Having several of all of these is incredibly helpful and time saving for your journey, as a game over means starting the level again from the start of the town stage, even if you had previously reached the boss. The items often aren't cheap though, and go up in price sharply if you buy a few. Getting money isn't easy either, as enemies often drop only 10 coins at a time and in later levels you can need several thousand. And that brings me to the final gameplay style.

Mini-games can be found around town, and many of them reward you with money for playing, although they also require an entry fee. There are quite a variety available including betting on horses, exploring a 3D maze, throwing balls into a jar on a statues head, a paint game which plays like Snake, a quiz show, matching cards, playing Pong, playing Air Hockey and playing Gradius. The most important game of all though, is Mole. Mole is a game of whack-a-mole where you hit moles coming out off holes corresponding to buttons on the SNES controller. The reason it's so significant though, is that a perfect game on Easy rewards you with around 400 coins, for an initial investment of 100. This is by far the quickest and easiest way to make money, and it was abused by me and my buddy frequently. In reality, this game became more like The Legend of Whack-a-Mole, featuring Goemon.

Speaking of my buddy, the other thing that is significant about Mystical Ninja is that it's entirely playable in 2 player. I actually completed the game entirely in co-op with my amigo, and it was a fun time. Each player has a seperate money count, but also needs to gain items seperately, so a lot of Mole was played. In the towns, having an extra guy to hit enemies can be handy, but you have to co-ordinate movement together or you can all to easily scroll too far away from each other and be hit by enemies you can't see over the edge of the screen. In the sidescrolling stages, when one of you dies, they respawn and fly around the screen, ready to jump back into action when you press the button. This can make tricky segments easier as you won't be sent back to a checkpoint, and it definitely helps on bosses. On the other hand, tricky platforming sections can be a pain with 2 of you trying to pass them, but you can get around this too. If one player crouches and the other jumps on them, you enter piggyback mode, where the carrying character can do all the platforming whilst the lazybones on his back attacks. We made use of this several times for the harder sections.

Mystical Ninja is a fairly meaty game for it's genre and era with 9 stages in total. The blend of gameplay styles is a lot of fun, and the game always offers you something new to do. It's got incredibly well put together multiplayer for a platformer of it's era, and it's bright graphics and bouncy music will put a smile on your face. It's not perfect - there's too much grinding necessary and you'll need a lot of patience for Whack-a-Mole, and there are a few nasty difficulty spikes, but it's a really fun time overall and I highly recommend it. Get it for sure.

Bare Knuckle III

Seriously, I beat this like a week ago, just go read that review :lol:

This time I beat it without using any credits, as Skate. My buddy went Blaze.

Die Hard Arcade

Me and my buddy weren't done on our streak of beating everything up, so we moved onto this game. Die Hard Arcade is a game I had a lot of fun with when I played it for the first time last year, but this was my first experience playing it in 2 player mode.

I played it with the default settings, which means friendly fire was on. More so than any other beat-em-up I've played, this was a real hazard. We lost a LOT of lives to friendly damage, because the arenas are all quite cramped and many of the numerous weapons which are available are long-ranged.

The game is still a lot of silly fun though, and I pulled off a few manoeuvres I hadn't done before, suggesting I still have a lot to discover (my favourite being one where I handcuffed someones arms and legs together). This game is good fun.

World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck

I've previously beaten this game before in single player as Mickey, but actually there are different stage variations depending if you play as Mickey alone, Donald alone, or Mickey & Donald in co-op. This time, I played co-op.

In the co-op campaign, there are segments where players must help each other progress. Players can gain extra jump height by jumping on the other player first, then lower a rope for the second player to climb up. Mickey also needs to pull Donald's fat ass through some small gaps they need to crawl through on occasion. A flying carpet section is controlled by both characters simultaneously, and a mine-cart ride segment requires each character to alternately pump down their side of the see-saw. These were cool little gimmicks, but they're a bit sparse overall, and they don't add all that much really - i'd have liked to see more co-operation required. The only other major change is that players can hit each other with their attack, stunning the other player, which is a bit annoying.

Despite this though, the game is still a joy to play through, easy but charming, and we had a good time. One day I'll get around to beating it as just Donald so I can see the remaining stages.

Enjoy some more screenshots of this one I took:

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 The Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)
14. Doom: Doom The Way id Did (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PC)
16. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 (PC)
17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
18. Dishonored 2 (PC)
19. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)

* replay

Fun little 30 minute romp! I guess I forget that Dream Land 1 predates Adventure on the NES and thus, here we have Kirby... but without the powers haha. Still a fun game though and seemed pretty polished for a GB title, excellent music too.

Gambatte does a great job coloring it. I wonder if that's how the GBC functioned, or the Super Gameboy? I remember the Super Gameboy automatically filled in some colors and it was cool how you could customize them.

Dream Land 2 looks bigger and has the powers. Looking forward to it.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

SUNDAY RAIN
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) (8.5) (1/1) (~5.5 hours)
2) ActRaiser (SNES) (8.0) (1/2) (~4 hours)
3) Bonk's Revenge (GB) (6.0) (1/3) (~1 hour)
4) Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB) (6.5) (1/3) (~1 hour)
5) Blackwell Legacy (PC) (7.0) (1/5) (2.6 hours)
6) Blackwell Unbound (PC) (7.5) (1/7) (2.2 hours)
7) Blackwell Convergence (PC) (8.0) (1/7) (2.4 hours)
8) Blackwell Deception (PC) (8.0) (1/8) (4.7 hours)
9) Blackwell Epiphany (PC) (9.0) (1/9) (6.5 hours)
10) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) (8.0) (1/22) (~55 hours)
11) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360) (8.0) (1/28) (~.5 hours)
12) Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck (SMS) (6.5) (1/31) (~1 hour)

February:
13) Quackshot Starring Donald Duck (GEN) (7.5) (2/7) (~2 hours)
14) Fire Emblem Heroes (Android) (8.0) (2/9) (~10 hours)
15) Super C (NES) (9.5) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
16) Contra (NES) (10.0) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
17) Mickey's Dangerous Chase (GB) (6.5) (2/24) (~1 hour)
18) My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS) (8.5) (2/25) (~19 hours)
19) Mega Man 2 (NES) (10.0) (2/28) (~0.8 hours)

March:
20) Final Fantasy XV (PS4) (8.0) (3/2) (~33 hours)
21) Blaster Master Zero (NS) (9.0) (3/10) (~6.5 hours)
22) Espgaluda II Black Label (360) (8.0?) (3/17) (0.5 hours)
23) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS) (9.5) (3/28) (~70+ hours)

April:
24) Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (PC) (8.5) (4/7) (~5.5 hours)
25) Hyper Light Drifter (PS4) (8.0) (4/9) (~8 hours)
26) Gekido Advance: Kintaro's Revenge (GBA) (7.5) (4/16) (~3 hours)
27) Vanquish (PS3) (8.5) (4/17) (~7 hours)
28) Journey (PS3) (6.0) (4/19) (~2 hours)

Journey, y'all. I honestly don't get the effusive praise.

Sure, it's a relatively pretty game, with some cool graphical effects, but there's just not much here. It's almost completely linear, although it attempts to give the illusion of openness, the platforming is minimal, and there's just not a whole lot to do.

Now, to be sure, there are some neat moments, gliding through the air or sliding down sand slopes, but if you're in this for the gameplay, you're going to need to look elsewhere.

Really, I think this is the problem with games that attempt to be "art". Games can absolutely be art. Games aren't necessarily good art, though, and if the particular themes or presentation don't resonate with you (much like a lot of art), then the game is just going to fall flat. And that's what happened with me and Journey. It's just too short, too little to do, and too uninteresting in my mind to be worthy of 90+ praise.

It probably also doesn't help that I'm coming off of Breath of the Wild, ha!

So, I'm gonna go with a better Journey.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

A big deal at the time of Journey's release was the co-op element, which you may not have experienced, as there is probably not many people playing at the moment.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Sarge, did you have online enabled? That makes a huge difference in your experience. I give Journey huge praise and the people i have sat down ans forces to play all came out of it with a similar reaction. From what I read of your reaction, you spent a lot of time looking at it as a game and trying to identify and quantify its mechanics and that is the problem when it comes to enjoying it. Some games are just about the ride and when you start to focus so much on camera, walls and gameplay it is easy to lose sight of what the game was trying to achieve.

Again, I don't think you are wrong for your opinion. Everyone experiences things differently. I personally just enjoyed it immensely.

@stark I have actually come across players on the ps3 to this day. People are regularly playing it which blows my mind.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I ran into one player. I have no real desire to share my experience with someone else online, honestly, but it was there, and I didn't find it any more enjoyable with or without their presence.

I think the real problem is that the sense of adventure has been outdone by a lot of games since then. It might actually be one of those, "You had to be there!" games. Dunno. But I've played other stuff that's mostly atmospheric, light gameplay stuff and enjoyed it, but this one just didn't work for me.

Honestly, I think my thoughts on the game coincide with the single negative review of the game on Metacritic, and particularly this part:

It’s sort of like Shadow of the Colossus without any colossi, or Ico without the little girl.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Sarge wrote:I ran into one player. I have no real desire to share my experience with someone else online, honestly, but it was there, and I didn't find it any more enjoyable with or without their presence.

I think the real problem is that the sense of adventure has been outdone by a lot of games since then. It might actually be one of those, "You had to be there!" games. Dunno. But I've played other stuff that's mostly atmospheric, light gameplay stuff and enjoyed it, but this one just didn't work for me.

Honestly, I think my thoughts on the game coincide with the single negative review of the game on Metacritic, and particularly this part:

It’s sort of like Shadow of the Colossus without any colossi, or Ico without the little girl.

And that's okay to have that perspective. It didn't click with you. I would also say that playing without that other person drops the experience dramatically. It just is a lot of fun to share the experience with a player who you can't directly communicate with.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.