Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by noiseredux »

Chasing Dead looks hilarious. It's on Steam (also $10) so I'll just wait for a sale.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

noiseredux wrote:Chasing Dead looks hilarious. It's on Steam (also $10) so I'll just wait for a sale.

Yeah, I'm just butthurt that I bought it on release day for $30. That'll show me not to try to support something.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Chasing Dead looks hilarious. It's on Steam (also $10) so I'll just wait for a sale.

Yeah, I'm just butthurt that I bought it on release day for $30. That'll show me not to try to support something.

The only Wii U game I supported at launch is Epic Dumpster Bear. :lol:
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:

The only Wii U game I supported at launch is Epic Dumpster Bear. :lol:

I support most 3rd party retail releases and pretty much any horror/shooter eShop game that looks good. This one looked good. Looks can be and were deceiving.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X - Nintendo Wii U - January 3
2. Fallout 4 - Xbox One - January 20
3. Yakuza 4 - PlayStation 3 - January 29
4. Yakuza: Dead Souls - PlayStation 3 - February 5
5. Yakuza 5 - PlayStation 3 - February 27
6. The Last of Us - PlayStation 3 - February 29
7. Yoshi's Wooly World - Nintendo Wii U - March 2
8. Bayonetta - Nintendo Wii U - March 6
9. Pikmin 3 - Nintendo Wii U - March 20
10. Pokémon Yellow - Nintendo 3DS VC - April 2
11. Wolf Among Us - Xbox One - April 11

Wow. This was a great game. I love Telltale's storytelling, and the way they handled the Walking Dead games, I was expecting something similar. For me, exploring a new universe (new to me, had no idea that this game was based on a DC comic called Fables) was really refreshing and I loved the premise of Fables living in a modern day New York City.

I appreciate the moral and ethical choices you have to commit to. I think this is something that I've truly missed since Knights of the Old Republic. However, I appreciate the grayness that often comes from the dialogue choices. This is especially after the fact where I felt the dialogue choices in Fallout 4 were too limiting and didn't convey well enough the full thought from any particular dialogue option. At least you'd have a sense in Wolf Among Us what would be said when you picked a dialogue option.

I know that it's a fair criticism that the dialogue choices often fork into 5 different outcomes a chapter, and that there's no clear differences in the long run from the choices you make, but for me I get a level of immersion that comes by being allowed to play a character the way I want them to behave.

Bigby Wolf is an outstanding, misunderstood protagonist that I could truly relate to. I loved the action scenes throughout. I like that there was a ton of crime-solving throughout, it certainly kept me intrigued. This is one of the coolest games I've seen Telltale put out and I certainly hope there's a second installment of this series.

It's free on Xbox One right now, so I hope if you haven't snagged it yet if you're a One owner, you should do it now!

I give Wolf Among Us 9.5/10.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2016

Spirits of Xanadu - PC
Tales From the Borderlands: Episode 1 - PC
Operation C - Game Boy
That Dragon, Cancer - PC
Contra - NES
Super C - NES
Contra III - The Alien Wars - SNES
Tekken - PS1
The King of Fighters '99 - PS1
Street Fighter Alpha - PS1
Call of Duty: Black Ops III - PS4
Three Fourths Home - PC
Firewatch - PS4
Street Fighter V - PS4
Far Cry: Primal - PS4
Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax - PS3
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma EXTEND - Xbox One
Android Assault Cactus - PS4
Table Top Racing - Vita
The Room - iOS
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle - PS3
The Room 2 - iOS
Broforce - PS4
Toybox Turbos - PC
Peggle 2 - PS4
R-Type (R-Type Dimensions) - 360 *new*
The Room 3 - iOS *new*

Total: 27

Previously: 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

R-Type is hard. R-Type Dimensions makes R-Type easy. It is also a fascinating piece of visual design in its own right.

The Room 3 is certainly the finest entry in an already outstanding series. It is easily the longest of the games in the franchise (my run through took about 6 hours), and well worth the download if you are on the fence. I was a little sad to see the strange fiction vibe downplayed a bit more compared to the first two, but there are enough other little narrative flourishes to compensate. An amazing game that is as strong an argument as any for mobile smartphones as a compelling gaming platform.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Had never heard of R-Type Dimensions before! But I've also never used XBLA or PSN. Looks intriguing.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

dsheinem wrote:R-Type is hard. R-Type Dimensions makes R-Type easy. It is also a fascinating piece of visual design in its own right.

That is actually a concise, perfect review of that game. I have spent a lot of time with R-Type, and I really enjoyed cycling back and forth between the "old" and "new" graphics.

dsheinem wrote:The Room 3 is certainly the finest entry in an already outstanding series.

Nice. I played through the first two entries in the series earlier this year, and I have downloaded the third. I am really looking forward to it.
Flake

Post by Flake »

3/19: Sonic Generations (3DS)
3/22: Sonic Colors (Wii)
4/10: Sonic Adventure DX (GCN)

Definitely not setting the world on fire in terms of games beaten this year! I finally beat Sonic Adventure DX - as in beat, beat. All characters and the 'hidden' ending.

This game has not aged well - the controls and camera are horrible! It still has this charm that redeems all, though. One moment I am speeding through a mad scientists' lair - the next I am fishing a glacier ice flow for the frog that holds the world's fate in its tail. Then I went to an amusement park.

This is the late 90's 'why the fuck not?' gameplay design that I find myself missing so much these days.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

^ You're doing better than me.

Attack of the Friday Monsters
Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright

Look! It's April and I finished a game I started in February! Go me!

In my defense, I did put a little over 130 hours into the campaign which is...probably a hell of a lot more than necessary considering the games reputation of being the easiest of the three choices. But I had just about every characters level maxed out to the point where half of them were one-shotting everything in sight, so yay me (I guess.)

Overall the whole campaign was really easy, even the last few chapters. With the exception of a couple of lucky Critical hits, most of my own deaths were due to my poor commanding skills (AKA: I counted the tiles wrong. Derp.) I was expecting a bit of a challenge uptick with the last few levels, but two of the final three maps only took two turns to complete. But maybe that shouldn't come as such a surprise, since I picked the easy campaign to start with.

I'm looking forward to starting up Conquest shortly. I'm sure after playing Birthright, it will royally kick my ass.