Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by pierrot »

Exhuminator wrote:Thanks for that Surging Aura review, shame it's so unbalanced. I'm still considering playing through the French version of it. I know enough French to muddle my way through.

Maybe it sounded like I didn't like it that much, but I quite enjoyed playing it. It was a really brisk JRPG, it's just that some of the design is caught 'twixt and 'tween old and new philosophies, and the developers made some choices that may not have been the best. As a whole, to me, it felt like a game that spent a lot of time in the planning, and everything that they wanted to do was implemented in the game, relatively, successfully. The difficulty is really just in the fact that when certain new monster types are introduced, they have the potential to wipe out the party rather quickly. Once the party members start to get their action speed stats up, the difficulty levels out again. Also, the encounter rate is really high.

I would recommend it if you have the opportunity to play it. I found it to be very charming. It's so linear that even without understanding what characters are saying, it's probably still playable. That would reduce the charm a little, though.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

i'm gonna get it
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2016

Spirits of Xanadu - PC
Tales From the Borderlands: Episode 1 - PC
Operation C - Game Boy
That Dragon, Cancer - PC
Contra - NES
Super C - NES
Contra III - The Alien Wars - SNES
Tekken - PS1
The King of Fighters '99 - PS1
Street Fighter Alpha - PS1
Call of Duty: Black Ops III - PS4
Three Fourths Home - PC
Firewatch - PS4
Street Fighter V - PS4
Far Cry: Primal - PS4
Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax - PS3
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma EXTEND - Xbox One
Android Assault Cactus - PS4
Table Top Racing - Vita
The Room - iOS
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle - PS3
The Room 2 - iOS
Broforce - PS4
Toybox Turbos - PC
Peggle 2 - PS4
R-Type (R-Type Dimensions) - 360
The Room 3 - iOS
Rampage - SMS
Doom (2016) - PS4
Dungeon Siege III - - 360
Uncharted 4 - A Thief's End - PS4
NES Remix - Wii U
Moon Chronicles: Episode 1 - 3DS
Outrun 3D - 3DS
Box Boy - 3DS
Splatoon - - Wii U
Nano Assault Neo X - PS4
Mamorukun Curse! - PS3 *new*
Hyperburner - iOS *new*
The Beginner's Guide - PC *new*

Total: 40

Previously: 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

I actually beat Mamorukun Curse a few weeks ago but forgot to list it. It is a competent shooter that is worth spending some time with, though I wouldn't consider it one if the best in its genre or anything like that.

I completed all worlds and unlocked all ships in Hyperburner, a well reviewed (and highly recommended) iOS title that just came out this week. The gameplay premise is somewhat like that of Race the Sun, but this is faster-paced and more hypnotic.

The Beginner's Guide is an outstanding follow up game by the writer of The Stanley Parable, and one that pushes the surrealism and fourth-wall stuff found in that game to the next level. Very inventive, fun, and perfect for a one game session play through.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

1. 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors (DS)
2. The Order 1886 (PS4)
3. The Division (PS4)
4. Until Dawn (PS4)
5. The Crew Wild Run Edition (PS4)
6. Mad Max (PS4)
7. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
8. Black Ops III (PS4)
9. The Last of Us Remastered + Left Behind DLC (PS4)
10. Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (XB1)
11. Rise of the Tomb Raider (XB1)

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a really solid game and Microsoft was smart to nab it as an exclusive even if it's only temporary. The story is good the graphics are probably about as high as you can expect from a current XB1 title and there is a ton of content to explore(the open world elements, hunting/gathering, and etc. have all been vastly expanded). The game also has alot of friendly NPCs this time around some of which actually provide optional side quest to add a little variety. Really there isn't much bad that can be said about the game the game length is solid, the mechanics have been polished very well, and it's visually pleasing.

Really the only complaint I have is maybe they expanded the crafting and traversal tools a bit to much.

The amount of tools used to navigate the environment has doubled if not tripled and you only slowly gain access to certain tools late in the game meaning if you want to go for 100% completion or even just play through all the tombs you are stuck doing some back tracking late game. Plus some of the later platforming puzzles get kind of bogged down by the amount platforming tools they require and it's easy to overlook what they intended for you to do and then fall to your death :P. Thankfully the checkpoint system is very forgiving as it was in the first game but I did probably die 30+ times due to stupid mistakes while trying to rush through platforming sections. There is one tool which I also really dislike which is the broad head arrows for climbing they really suck all the momentum out of a scene since all of a sudden you go from running, jumping, and climbing to suddenly having to stop and shoot 3+ arrows carefully into some soft wood which could have easily been programmed as one of the many climbable walls.

There is also the crafting system which has been vastly expanded with a large variety of resources to collect as opposed to one general scrap upgrade currency like in the previous games. Because of the variety of scrap required for upgrades you will be constantly pinging the survival view(which is now mapped to clicking the right thumbstick :P) to make sure you got everything out of a given area which is kind of annoying since it sucked me out of the game and felt like busy work at times.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

dsheinem wrote:I actually beat Mamorukun Curse a few weeks ago but forgot to list it. It is a competent shooter that is worth spending some time with, though I wouldn't consider it one if the best in its genre or anything like that.

BTW, and for anyone interested in it, Mamorokun Curse is on sale right now for $1.49 on PSN.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

With the broadhead arrows I always made a point of getting the upgrade that lets you stick them in the wall with your hands like the climbing axes. It severely reduces the number of times you need to shoot them.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) Bonk's Adventure (NES)
2) Little Samson
3) Holy Diver
4) Holy Diver (legit!)
5) Mitsume Ga Tooru
6) TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES)
7) Mighty Final Fight
8] Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
9) Monster In My Pocket
10) Battle of Olympus
11) Gunstar Heroes (repeat)
12) Dragon Age: Inquisition
13) Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser
14) Captain America and the Avengers (NES)
15) StarTropics
16) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (save states)
17) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (legit)
18) Crisis Force
19) Esper Dream 2
20) Felix the Cat
21) Moon Crystal
22) Panic Restaurant
23) Frankenstein (NES)
24) Crystalis
25) Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu

February:
26) Killer Instinct (GB)
27) Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden
28) Sly Spy (Arcade)
29) The Red Star (unreleased XBOX, also on PS2)
30) Adventure Island 4
31) Cocoron
32) Batman: Arkham Knight
33) Xeodrifter (Vita)
34) Doom 2
35) Brandish: The Dark Revenant
36) Magical Pop'n
37) The Ninja Warriors (SNES)
38) Phantasy Star (SMS)
39) Phantasy Star III
40) Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
41) Brandish: The Dark Revenant (Dela Mode)

March:
42) Freedom Planet (Milla, 82 lives lost)
43) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
44) Lara Croft Go
45) Oniken
46) Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
47) Batman: The Video Game (GB)
48) Batman: The Video Game (NES)
49) Super Spy Hunter

April:
50) Mega Man 2
51) Mega Man 4
52) Mission: Impossible (NES)
53) Mega Man 6
54) Super Mario Bros. 3
55) Sword Master
56) DuckTales 2
57) Rush'n Attack (NES)
58) Mega Man 3
59) Mega Man 5
60) Mega Man
61) S.C.A.T. - Special Cybernetic Attack Team
62) TaleSpin (NES)
63) Double Dragon III (NES)
64) Donkey Kong (NES)
65) Astyanax (NES)

May:
66) Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu
67) The New Ghostbusters II (NES, proto)
68) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSP, via Dracula X Chronicles)
69) Revenge of Shinobi
70) Shinobi III
71) Shadow Dancer
72) El Viento
73) Earnest Evans
74) One Must Fall 2097
75) A Nightmare on Elm Street (NES)
76) Hebereke
77) Contra
78) Wario Land: Shake It!
79) Gimmick!
80) Ninja Gaiden (GG)
81) Wai Wai World 2 (NES)
82) Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II
83) Uncharted: Golden Abyss
84) Double Dragon (SMS)

June:

85) Astra Superstars
86) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
87) Star Wars: Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight
88) Star Wars: Dark Forces
89) VVVVVV
90) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist
91) Broforce (PS4)
92) Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
93) The Terminator (SCD)
94) Aban Hawkins and the 1001 Spikes
95) Electronic Super Joy
96) Golden Axe (GEN)
97) Double Dragon (GB)
98) Double Dragon II (GB)
99) Double Dragon III (GB)

So, inspired by Jeremy Parish's writeup at USGamer, I decided to give this one another go. I made one run with save states, and then... I got bored waiting for some scripts to finish, and didn't want to mentally shift gears to another project, so I booted it back up and made another run at beating it legit. And I did! I died one time, where I got the timing wrong on the moving platforms in Stage 3, which ironically I cleared the first time through without dying, no save states needed. I also got extraordinarily lucky with the Abobo that you fight while the ground is caving in behind you. He almost knocked me back, got back up, somehow fooled him into a counter-free jump-in, then quickly jump-kicked behind him.

The last stage was relatively easy from there. Even Willy, who's pitifully easy to manage. Actually, almost all the enemies are. The combat isn't what will kill you, it's the platforming. The edges are almost always closer than you think, and if you miss a jump, you're toast. And there's very little room for error either way, because jumping too early will kill you, too.

A note: jump-kicks aren't nearly as effective against Abobos, since it doesn't knock them down. Better to flail away with punches. Don't try to jumping-roundhouse them, it usually ends in pain.

Another note: The platforming is made even trickier if you're too close to the edge of the screen. Until you reach a certain point, only the screen will scroll, and you won't move. So if you're on the moving platform segment of Mission 3, make darn sure the screen has scrolled enough so you can move again before making each jump.

All in all, a solid Game Boy brawler, with a couple of really tricky spots.

EDIT: Well, add Double Dragon II to the list. Legit beat the first time through. A little dicey at the end, because I let those gun-toters get the best of me. But there's no pits in this one, and everything can be taken out using a combination of the jumping uppercut and knee/elbow drop (it's actually kinda hard to tell which one it is).

There's actually no jump kick in this one. Also, no weapons. Also, no grab attack. Secretly, this wasn't originally a Double Dragon game at all, it was a Kunio game.

Anyway, also a decently fun (and short) Technos brawler.

EDIT: Okay, fine. Double Dragon 3 for Game Boy. Ugh. This game is garbage. Hit detection is shoddy, enemy patterns are annoying, and it's just pretty terrible all around. The only consistent way to hit enemies is to have them come at you from the bottom of the screen. Try to do it the other way, and you get hit instead. And they get up and hit you quite well on wakeup as well.

There's a rudimentary shop here that mirrors the arcade version. But honestly, the weapons, other that the nunchucks in the second stage, are worthless. And you also stop seeing shops halfway through the game.

There's also a tile sequence that is tricky to figure out for a bit. I did use a save state here, because I wasn't attempting it a third time. Besides, I know the trick now, and can clear the room without losing a life easily. It wasn't nearly as hard as I was making it.

Long story short, don't waste your time with this game.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

MrPopo wrote:With the broadhead arrows I always made a point of getting the upgrade that lets you stick them in the wall with your hands like the climbing axes. It severely reduces the number of times you need to shoot them.

Where was that upgrade? I would have killed for that towards the end really killed the tension when in the middle of all that chaos I would have to stop and plan out my route :lol: . Was it specific to a certain bow or in the equipment/tool upgrade menu somewhere?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Somewhere in the skills menu.

Edit: Looked it up, Arrow Climber, Tier 3 on Survivor tree.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:So, inspired by Jeremy Parish's writeup at USGamer, I decided to give this one another go. Long story short, don't waste your time with this game.

Did Parish say it was good? I wouldn't be surprised if he did. I often don't agree with his opinions, but I do enjoy his historical write ups.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.