Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

As far as I'm concerned, only you are the judge of what's "beaten" in your backlog. Lots of people would say I haven't "beaten" Gal*Gun until I've finished every girl's playthrough, but I say one playthrough is enough to count, so that's how I've listed it in my Backloggery.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Some games don't have traditional victory screens, so you need to decide what "beaten" means.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

1/16: Diablo III (PC)
1/19: Picross E (3DS DL)
1/23: Baroque (Wii)
2/5: LocoRoco (PSP)
3/31: Picross e2 (3DS DL)
4/7: Stardew Valley (Steam)
4/8: Voices From the Sea (Steam)
4/10: X-Note (Steam)
4/11: To the Moon (Steam)
4/19: Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland (PS3)
4/19: Aquapazza: Aquaplus Dream Match (PS3)
6/19: Steins;Gate (PS3)
7/11: Yoshi’s Woolly World (Wii U)
7/13: Muramasa Rebirth (Vita)
7/13: Strider 2 (PS1 Classics)
7/16: Planetarian ~The Reverie of a Little Planet~ (Steam)
7/16: Narcissu (Steam)
7/26: Crimzon Clover: World Ignition (GOG)
7/28: LocoRoco 2 (PSP)
7/30: Criminal Girls: Invite Only (Vita)
8/1: Pokemon Art Academy (3DS)

Total: 21 games

Why did I get this? I've already been drawing for a while and have art programs which I like to use, so it would be really easy for this game to disappoint me. And unfortunately, it did disappoint.

I guess I was curious to see how it would teach people to draw Pokemon, but it mostly ended up being "Trace these shapes!" and "Copy exactly what I'm doing!". Not really any guidance on how to draw Pokemon without copying. And even if you ignored the instruction and did your own thing, the art program is a bit lacking. Mostly I don't like how few layers there are, but also the transparency options for the tools were a little confusing for me (they didn't seem to do what I expected).

So overall I think it's just kind of meh. It's probably fine if you're an absolute beginner and just want to draw some Pokemon, but I don't think it's good for much else.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:As far as I'm concerned, only you are the judge of what's "beaten" in your backlog.

If I see credits roll, the game's beat. 8)

Some people are completionists though. They must finish every mode, every difficulty, and 100% all collectables and secrets. And hey that's cool if they've got the time I guess. But I've got limited time, and unlimited games. So for me, life's too short to obsess over one game alone, when I could have beaten five more while trying to be a completionist over said one.

That's just me though, I'm not judging anybody.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Exhuminator wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:As far as I'm concerned, only you are the judge of what's "beaten" in your backlog.

If I see credits roll, the game's beat. 8)

Some people are completionists though. They must finish every mode, every difficulty, and 100% all collectables and secrets. And hey that's cool if they've got the time I guess. But I've got limited time, and unlimited games. So for me, life's too short to obsess over one game alone, when I could have beaten five more while trying to be a completionist over said one.

That's just me though, I'm not judging anybody.

As I've gotten older (mind you I'm still a babby compared to most on this site), and my time has dissipeared more and more to undergrad school and work, I've become much more focused on just enjoying a game rather than just beating it. Beating a game is just a nice extra if I really really like it. I look at completionism the same way.

Dishonored took me like twice as long as it takes most people, because I was having a ton of fun looking for everything and trying to play the game the way I thought was most fun. Same goes for Wolfenstein: The New Order. I beat that game 2 or 3 times because the setting was awesome and the gameplay felt great, and along the way I collected every dang collectible I could (because you gotta get that dang Nazi gold :I).

Contrastingly, a game I enjoyed but didn't finish was Baten Kaitos. I really liked the card battling mechanics and thought the world was pretty, but thought the combat really bogged the game down unnecessarily in the end game. As a result I didn't end up finishing it because of how tired I was of what a massive time-sink the game could be, but I certainly wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it.

Not trying to disparage how anyone else looks at games, beaten or non-beaten, or if beaten is the best way to leave games (this is the "games beaten" thread after all ;p). Just throwing in my 2 cents.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Seeing the credits roll is putting the book down to me. I still replay games and will do 100% if I'm a big fan. But overall beating games is kind of vital to my enjoyment, more than others I guess. But I'll never stress over it either, I have a tiny little pile of games I've put down and potentially don't see myself caring to touch again. Actually, considering a game "dropped" is a little relieving compared to stuff sitting there in the backlog. So in a way I kind of consider "dropping" them being finished evaluating it too and think about it less than I would if it was sitting there still untouched.

I also don't seem to worry too much about it with digital games, which I usually just scoop up from sales and stuff. But by dividing my main shelf up and separating the backlog/untouched games from the completed ones, it's very satisfying to see the "beaten" portion grow over time. And that becomes my potential replay pool.

I hate MMO's and am not much of a social multiplayer gamer, so this saves me tons of times to tackle campaigns. Been thinking about getting into another online shooter on the side though, but who knows. I like to go into games knowing there is a beginning, middle, and an end. The length of games doesn't bother me and is something I never want to complain about, it's not a race either. It seems like a strange excuse I see from others (not pointing fingers here) and in a way they're just keeping themselves from games they may otherwise really enjoy. I have plenty of time to trek through long games, small steps go a long way after awhile. The mood has to be there and it's best to not start up some 70 some hour RPG in the middle of other things, so I just make a calculated approach when I'm ready for it.

I'm the same way with TV shows or anime. I rarely drop things, but I'm not afraid to if it comes to it.

There's definitely a lot of games I've played that I do like and didn't beat though. A lot of older JRPG's come to mind. I maybe burned myself out as a kid, since when I got into the PS1 I devoured JRPG's for a long time back to back. Or I just got distracted, no idea. But using my shelf system, the board and my own personal notepads, Backloggery, How Long to Beat, makes it even more motivating and fun for me to finish games now. It's probably a little obsessive, but that's just how I am with some stuff.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

My general anxiety problems make me stress over my backlog of unbeaten games, but I've gotten a little better about it. I don't stress over unbeaten games like I used to, but it still bothers me. =/

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:My general anxiety problems make me stress over my backlog of unbeaten games, but I've gotten a little better about it. I don't stress over unbeaten games like I used to, but it still bothers me. =/

Frankly if I had your library I'd be utterly overwhelmed. Moderation man... :roll: :lol:

I guess the summer off teacher thing helps though.

On a side note I guess you can make "categories" in Steam now? Never noticed that until today. That will help me organize things better there now too. Got... 13 in the backlog. Probably a lot more shovelware from those indie bundles though. There's some stuff on my library I'm not even sure how it got there.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I learned to live with it a long time ago. I'm probably pushing 1500 physical games now, and over 1000 more just in my Steam library. Most of those will never get played, or even installed. Thanks, indie bundles!

As I get older, I just try to enjoy myself. I used to be a bit of a completionist, and I still am if I really love a game, but I'm not going to force myself to 100% something when I could be having more fun playing something else.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Sarge wrote:I learned to live with it a long time ago. I'm probably pushing 1500 physical games now, and over 1000 more just in my Steam library. Most of those will never get played, or even installed. Thanks, indie bundles!

As I get older, I just try to enjoy myself. I used to be a bit of a completionist, and I still am if I really love a game, but I'm not going to force myself to 100% something when I could be having more fun playing something else.

I'm trying to learn from your example, senpai.