Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
wclem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by wclem »

1. Until Dawn (PS4)

Different is a good word for this. Lots of quicktime!
Would have been cool if they had a setting where you
could take as much time as you want to make a decision.

Is this really my first of the year? I need to prioritize my life! More games, less reality.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

wclem wrote:Is this really my first of the year? I need to prioritize my life! More games, less reality.

Disregard social and work obligations; acquire video games.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

wclem wrote:1. Until Dawn (PS4)

Different is a good word for this. Lots of quicktime!
Would have been cool if they had a setting where you
could take as much time as you want to make a decision.

Is this really my first of the year? I need to prioritize my life! More games, less reality.

I've only beat one game this year as well, and it was Until Dawn. Are you me?
My only complaint about the game was the annoying "don't move" moments where if you moved your controller, bad things happened. I felt it was way to sensitive. Let's just say a lot of people died.
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

1/16: Diablo III (PC)
1/19: Picross E (3DS DL)
1/23: Baroque (Wii)
2/5: LocoRoco (PSP)

Total: 4 games

I've been pretty stressed as of late, so I just wanted an easy, light-hearted game to play but since I don't really have a lot of those kinds of games I just went with LocoRoco. I'm not sure if I liked it or not (I was in a bad mood at the time), but it at least fit with what I wanted to play. Controlling the LocoRocos was the only slightly difficult thing, as you use the L & R buttons to tilt the world which isn't as precise as using a D-Pad (it's kind of like one of those tilty wooden marble mazes), but I found that as long as I didn't worry about the collectibles then it was fine.

Also most of the LocoRocos you unlock aren't cute at all, but I guess if that's all I have to gripe about then I probably would of had fun with this if I was in a better mood.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GameCube)
2. Max Payne (XBOX)
3. Eternal Poison (PS2)

4. Dragon Warrior III (NES)

I beat Dragon Warrior III on the NES this evening!

Dragon Warrior III reminds me very much of the original Dragon Warrior and that does not even take into account the fact that it's a prequel to Dragon Warrior. Both games are very innovative for their time. In DWIII, it introduces classes and being able to create your very own characters. There are several different parties you can have and it adds a nice bit of replayability.

However, much like DW, DWIII is very uneven. Since the shops have limited space for their inventory, you don't upgrade your items very often. So, you have to rely on your levels to get stronger and grinding takes so long in the game. I really liked how in DWII that it felt more like a progression and it was very natural. In DWIII, you have to stop and grind several times during the game. Also, there is hardly any direction in the game as nobody really tells you where to go next.

In the end, much like the original Dragon Warrior, I respect Dragon Warrior III more than I enjoyed it. The party mechanic was extremely innovative along with the class system. It paved the way for many RPG's to come. It's a bit of a chore to play, but it is still enjoyable and really ahead of its time.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

laurenhiya21 wrote:1/16: Diablo III (PC)
1/19: Picross E (3DS DL)
1/23: Baroque (Wii)
2/5: LocoRoco (PSP)

Total: 4 games

I've been pretty stressed as of late, so I just wanted an easy, light-hearted game to play but since I don't really have a lot of those kinds of games I just went with LocoRoco. I'm not sure if I liked it or not (I was in a bad mood at the time), but it at least fit with what I wanted to play. Controlling the LocoRocos was the only slightly difficult thing, as you use the L & R buttons to tilt the world which isn't as precise as using a D-Pad (it's kind of like one of those tilty wooden marble mazes), but I found that as long as I didn't worry about the collectibles then it was fine.

Also most of the LocoRocos you unlock aren't cute at all, but I guess if that's all I have to gripe about then I probably would of had fun with this if I was in a better mood.

You should give LocoRoco 2 a try. That's easily my favorite PSP game, and the music and level design is much better than the first game's.

Ghost Trick (DS)

A logic puzzle game by the Ace Attorney guy that isn't Ace Attorney, but is still pretty dang fun. It's really cool to see him trying something different (even if he did go and just make another 3 AA games after this Xp).

The story is nothing super special, but it's engaging enough to fill the gaps. I just didn't find the characters as engaging as perhaps they could've been in a visual novel that had more text-based puzzles, like in AA. The puzzles though, really fun. In old reviews I'd read, I'd heard that some of the puzzles get really un-fun and difficult, but I never even had to look up a guide once for this game. I feel the difficulty curve is really well done, as well as implementation of new mechanics just as old ones get stale.

I'm not exactly in the mood for Ghost Trick 2, but I would like to see Shu Takumi give other genres (or subgenres of visual novels, I guess) a try, because this shows he can make some really cool stuff if Capcom lets him away from Ace Attorney.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:[...](even if he did go and just make another 3 AA games after this Xp).

Actually, only 2: Layton vs Phoenix and Dai Gyakuten Saiban. I enjoyed Ghost Trick. The soundtrack is unbelievably good.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

It took me forever to finally follow up on Exhuminator's recommendation of Ghost Trick, and I was only rewarded with one of my favorite adventure games. Good, good stuff. The animation is absolutely spectacular, and I actually did enjoy the story, somewhat goofy as it was. Goofy, but heartfelt.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

pierrot wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:[...](even if he did go and just make another 3 AA games after this Xp).

Actually, only 2: Layton vs Phoenix and Dai Gyakuten Saiban. I enjoyed Ghost Trick. The soundtrack is unbelievably good.

What about Dual Destinies?

Sarge wrote:It took me forever to finally follow up on Exhuminator's recommendation of Ghost Trick, and I was only rewarded with one of my favorite adventure games. Good, good stuff. The animation is absolutely spectacular, and I actually did enjoy the story, somewhat goofy as it was. Goofy, but heartfelt.

Yes, yes yes! The animation was soooo good in this game. I love some of the more ridiculous stuff they did just to show off what they could do in the pseudo-2D art style, like the cop who dances when he's scared, or the guy who gets crushed by the wrecking ball which then rolls away.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

pierrot wrote:I enjoyed Ghost Trick. The soundtrack is unbelievably good.

Yes! One of the few video game OSTs I actually still listen to way after I finished the game.
Sarge wrote:It took me forever to finally follow up on Exhuminator's recommendation / I was only rewarded with one of my favorite

I don't lie to you guys about the good games. Only the bad ones.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.