Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
strangenova
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by strangenova »

MrPopo wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Apparently you have seen his DDR video.

All shall see and know my greatness.

Dude that's the best thing Ive seen in awhile. You make me want to DDR
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

1. Ultimate NES Remix (3DS)
2. Space Invaders Infinity Gene (iOS)
3. World of Goo (iOS)
4. A Dark Room (iOS)
5. Shovel Knight (WII U)
6. The Room (iOS)
7. Mega Man 10 (PS3)
8. The Room Two (iOS)
9. Braid (PS3)
10. Kung Fu Fight! (WII U)
11. Kung Fu Rabbit (WII U)
12. Escape Goat (360)
13. Canabalt (iOS)
14. Leo's Fortune (iOS)
15. King's Field: The Ancient City (PS2)
16. Grim Fandango Remastered (iOS)
17. Dust: An Elysian Tale (360)
18. Shantae (GBC)
19. 3D Space Harrier (3DS)
20. 3D After Burner II (3DS)
21. 3D Classics: Kid Icarus (3DS)

When I was playing through Ultimate NES Remix earlier this year, I realized that I had never "really" beaten Kid Icarus. Certainly, I had played around with it a bit, and I had even played through the final level to see the ending. I had not, however, played the game straight through from beginning to end. I remedied this deficiency recently by finally playing through this wonderful, if somewhat flawed, game.

Kid Icarus really is deserving of its reputation. It was created by many of the same people who worked on Metroid, and their influence on the game is clear. (World 3-3 even has metroids in it!) Nonetheless, it is a very different game that plays like a side-scrolling ARPG. That it, you defeat a variety of monsters to earn hearts, which you can use to buy items, and to increase your score, which results in upgrades to your life and attack power. Items are very expensive, and it takes a lot of points to upgrade your life and attack power. Accordingly, there is a strong incentive to "grind" some of the respawning monsters and to clear every room in the game.

Despite its ARPG influences, however, the game is still very much a platformer, and at times, it is a very difficult one. Many of the games stages scroll vertically, and one false move results in instant death. Moreover, the stages are very, very long; enemies constantly respawn; and items that refill your life are very, very rare. As a result, finishing many of the game's stages can be a feat of endurance. (The game's difficulty never really increases, however; so, it actually gets easier the further you get into it. Basically, if you can get past 1-3, you're golden.)

Every fourth stage is a labyrinth, that plays like a cross between Metroid and The Legend of Zelda. They are full of one-way passages, and each one contains a pretty fun, if somewhat easy, boss fight. (They also contain the totally awesome Eggplant Wizards.) In these labyrinths, you can use the mallets you acquired in other stages to free stone centurions who will come to your assistance during the boss fight. (I guess that they are helpful to some people, but I found them to be pretty worthless and not worth the effort of freeing. In other words, I can take down the bosses all by myself, thank you very much.)

In sum, I highly recommend this game to anyone who is interested in exploring the best early NES titles. Kid Icarus is at least as good as its first-party contemporaries, and I am glad that I have finally completed it. Moreover, 3D Classics: Kid Icarus is definitely the way to experience the game today. It is based on the FDS version; so, there is no need for 20-character passwords. Moreover, the 3D effect is very well implemented and highlight's the game's excellent sprite work.

I started Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (GB) this morning. (The battery still works!) It is also very fun, and I will probably end up running the series this year.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Congrats on beating Kid Icarus. It's one of those old NES games I regret still having not beaten yet. Gotta get my gusto going soon and just do it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

MrPopo wrote:Yes it is. And fun fact; I ended up dating the girl I threw my shirt on a year later.

Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:Congrats on beating Kid Icarus. It's one of those old NES games I regret still having not beaten yet. Gotta get my gusto going soon and just do it.

Thanks!

Give it another shot sometime. I would always get frustrated after dying repeatedly in 1-2 or 1-3 and give up. (The 20-character passwords were always a turn-off for me too.) I am glad that I stuck with it this time, however, and the game gets considerably easier, and considerably better, once you get into it.

Also, before you play it, be sure to look up the function of each item in the game. This was undoubtedly spelled out in the instruction manual, but it certainly is not spelled out anywhere in the game. IMO, most of the items are pretty much worthless, but I wasted a lot of hearts trying to figure that out on my own. :lol:
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:Congrats on beating Kid Icarus. It's one of those old NES games I regret still having not beaten yet. Gotta get my gusto going soon and just do it.

Thanks!

Give it another shot sometime. I would always get frustrated after dying repeatedly in 1-2 or 1-3 and give up. (The 20-character passwords were always a turn-off for me too.) I am glad that I stuck with it this time, however, and the game gets considerably easier, and considerably better, once you get into it.

Also, before you play it, be sure to look up the function of each item in the game. This was undoubtedly spelled out in the instruction manual, but it certainly is not spelled out anywhere in the game. IMO, most of the items are pretty much worthless, but I wasted a lot of hearts trying to figure that out on my own. :lol:

I beat it on my NES years ago in college, but I haven't played the 3D one enough to make much headway.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

MrPopo wrote:

Amazing.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

MrPopo wrote:

Jokes aside, you own an dance machine right? I want to say Pump it Up?

Can you take me some pictures of it and get me some measurements? There is a shocking lack of knowledge of how to build DDR styled cabinets on the internet.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

fastbilly1 wrote:
MrPopo wrote:

Jokes aside, you own an dance machine right? I want to say Pump it Up?

Can you take me some pictures of it and get me some measurements? There is a shocking lack of knowledge of how to build DDR styled cabinets on the internet.

Yes, I've got a Pump it Up cabinet. I could certainly take some measurements and pictures for you.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) Bonk's Adventure (NES)
2) Little Samson
3) Holy Diver
4) Holy Diver (legit!)
5) Mitsume Ga Tooru
6) TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES)
7) Mighty Final Fight
8] Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
9) Monster In My Pocket
10) Battle of Olympus
11) Gunstar Heroes (repeat)
12) Dragon Age: Inquisition
13) Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser
14) Captain America and the Avengers (NES)
15) StarTropics
16) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (save states)
17) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (legit)
18) Crisis Force
19) Esper Dream 2
20) Felix the Cat
21) Moon Crystal
22) Panic Restaurant
23) Frankenstein (NES)
24) Crystalis
25) Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu

February:
26) Killer Instinct (GB)
27) Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden
28) Sly Spy (Arcade)
29) The Red Star (unreleased XBOX, also on PS2)
30) Adventure Island 4
31) Cocoron
32) Batman: Arkham Knight
33) Xeodrifter (Vita)
34) Doom 2
35) Brandish: The Dark Revenant
36) Magical Pop'n
37) The Ninja Warriors (SNES)
38) Phantasy Star (SMS)
39) Phantasy Star III
40) Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
41) Brandish: The Dark Revenant (Dela Mode)

March:
42) Freedom Planet (Milla, 82 lives lost)
43) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
44) Lara Croft Go
45) Oniken
46) Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
47) Batman: The Video Game (GB)
48) Batman: The Video Game (NES)
49) Super Spy Hunter

April:

50) Mega Man 2
51) Mega Man 4

I really don't know why everyone dislikes MM4 now. It's a really solid game. Good, even! Maybe not up to the level of MM2/3, but still one of the top-tier NES action games. I might not be the most objective observer, because I think all the NES versions are excellent in various ways. Some are just more excellent. :)