Forlorn Drifter wrote:1. Cubivore-GCN
2. Deadly Premonition:The Director's Cut-PS3
3. Bioshock: Infinite- PS3
4. Bioshcok: Infinite: Burial at Sea ep. 1-PS3
5. DOOM-PS3
6. Shovel Knight-PS3
7. Far Cry 3-PS3

8. Ico-PS3

Nice little game. Short, but sweet. I could see this being a good game to introduce people into videogames, although the controls are a bit rough around the edges due to the fact that you don't have control of the camera. Liked it a lot, and at some point I hope to get around to doing a speed run of the game in order to get the 2 hour completion trophy. Might be a bit of a doozy though.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Xeogred »

Back to the superior Demon's I hope.

- Use a spear or something with range if you really need help
- Armor is basically pointless and the most important thing is being able to fast roll
- Become Super Saiyan

Those are my Demon's starter tips.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

1. Flag to Flag - Dreamcast (January 12)
2. The Battle of Olympus - NES (January 18)
3. Thunder Force AC - Arcade/MAME (February 6)
4. Golden Axe - Arcade/MAME (February 14)
5. Rod-Land - Arcade/MAME (February 22)
6. Xexyz - NES (March 14)
7. *NEW* Smuggler's Run: Warzones - Gamecube (March 26)

A Gamecube exclusive offshoot of the Smuggler's Run series. Take many vehicles and deliver as much contraband as you can throughout Russia and Vietnam. Avoid law enforcement and rival smugglers.

That's the idea, but in between those missions, you'll also be chasing down and destroying other vehicles, teaming up with 2 CPUs to see who can get to the target number of items first, destroying radar towers, and much more. This game ISN'T easy, especially if you're trying to get all Great mission ratings to unlock a secret vehicle, which I did. Combine all this with impressive FMV sequences and a licensed electronic soundtrack, and you've got a real underrated, hidden gem on the GC.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

1. Oni - PC
2. Donkey Kong 64 - N64
3. Yoshi's Story - N64
4. Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide - PC
5. Forsaken 64 - N64
6. Bloodrayne: Betrayal - PSN
7. Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu - SNES
8. Fire Emblem Shin Monshō no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyū - Nintendo DS
9. Valkyria Chronicles 3 - PSP
10. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing - DC
11. Rise of the Tomb Raider - PC
12. XCOM 2 - PC
13. Shadowrun Hong Kong Bonus Campaign - PC
14. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS
15. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS
16. Lagrange Point - NES
17. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations - 3DS
18. Cybernator - SNES
19. Outwars - PC
20. Resident Evil - GC

My first experience with the Resident Evil franchise was when I picked up the GC version on a rental. I made it all the way to the second disk and then I had to return it. I then lost the same at some point (probably deleted to clear space) so I had to start over. In the meantime I've beaten Resident Evil 0 (another rental) and beat the DS version (then sold it back to Gamestop; that was in my dumb college days). Now I've finally come back to beat the GC version for reals.

I'll be honest, I'm a little disappointed with one aspect of the remake. It redid all the dialog but not very well, so it went from hilariously bad to just mediocre bad. The former is entertaining, the latter is just meh.

But otherwise it's an entertaining game. It's like a point and click adventure but with guns. That aspect makes the beginning of the game rather difficult, but then things ramp down after you get midway through. At that point you start getting regular amounts of high powered stuff (especially if you're Jill with her grenade launcher) and you can stop dodging enemies and just kill them as you move along. There were a couple of times I had to look up some aspect I was missing; two times it was elements of the scenery that were functional and I thought they were decorative and one time was a searchable corpse that didn't have a shiny indicator that you could actually find something. Otherwise it's actually not too tough to get through. No moon logic required.

Since I don't want to get too involved in a game with Dark Souls III hitting in a few weeks I might just play through the other GC ports.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

The question is, did you do a Jill run, or Chris? Jill's is way easier and she gets super weapons way early.

Chris' smaller inventory limit is a bit of a nuisance though.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Jill all the way. And I plan to do Claire when I do RE2.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah, I usually do Jill. She's also the more iconic lead to me...

I have not done a Claire run in awhile on RE2, but if I remember right you get more out of the full story and scenes with this one doing both characters compared to the other games. Still nothing too dramatic, but yeah.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Jill rules.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Xeogred wrote:Back to the superior Demon's I hope.

- Use a spear or something with range if you really need help
- Armor is basically pointless and the most important thing is being able to fast roll
- Become Super Saiyan

Those are my Demon's starter tips.

I did play a bit more, but it just hasn't "caught" me yet, if you will. It's fun... until I hit a boss, and then I just get frustrated half of the time. Mixing that with still learning the game leaves me frustrated. There are some regular enemies that get me too. Those damn things in 3-1... or the skeletons in 4-1, which I can get past, but can't deal with while also dodging those flying mantas things. Freaking flame-lurker though...
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

1) The Club - PC

2) Wasteland - PC

Aww shit, I'm late on this one. I said that I'd post my thoughts on this weeks ago. Apologies to the one person that was looking forward to reading my thoughts. :lol:

Okay, enough bullshit, here are my thoughts on the game: This was quite an endeavor not only in the narrative but in the gameplay experience. I've never played a CRPG before, only RPGs in the vein of Final Fantasy and Earthbound. The first thing I have to say is it's nice to play an RPG that's challenging and not just an exercise in level-grind abuse. It might not have always been fair, but it was preferable to the RPG gameplay I'm used to.

On the subject of combat, I thought it kind of sucked. Having the attacks replicate dice rolls is fine, but not knowing the stats (which inform the die rolls) without looking them up on the internet is annoying. The interface also left something to be desired as well. While there is a lot of information to be doled out, it'd be nice if there was a more streamlined way to dispense said info. I've tried adjusting the text's scrolling speed and couldn't find a speed that wasn't too slow or too fast. It'd either blaze past my eyes or crawl frustratingly slowly. Thankfully, the combat isn't too involved, so I was able to just set the scrolling speed to max and attack until the enemy was felled. On that note, the combat was rather easy and the game's challenge mainly came from the other aspects of the game.

The unconscious/comatose/death system is rather annoying as at times you'd wind up in battles of attrition where you'd hit the enemy, get knocked out, wake back up, hit the enemy, and get knocked out again. Rinse and repeat until you either get killed for real or manage to eek out a win. At earlier levels, it's a pain to get your injured party members to a doctor and at later levels it's annoying to have to make several attempts to heal a teammate. It's like hitting your head against a wall that will eventually crack if you set your macro to automatically press the healing keys over and over. The terrain can be annoying as well since the radiated squares don't show they're radiated except at night and if you fall into water the game will grind to a screeching halt as it tells you how much damage the party members suffered (usually 1) on every square.

This game hasn't aged well in terms of graphics, sound, and interface. It also wasn't able to keep my attention by its lonesome, so I've had podcasts running in the background. I know I'm coming off quite harsh, but if you'll keep reading, you'll see that I did enjoy this game. I enjoyed it. Sorry for the lame joke. :lol: Why did I enjoy it? For a few reasons: As I said before, the sometimes unfair difficulty made for a nice new RPG experience for me. After completing this, I'm now interested in trying the old Ultima titles, Starflight, and other CRPGs. I have a feeling that I'm going down the CRPG rabbit hole. The primitivity of the game actually works in its favor for me. It makes for a nice "burn out game" that I can fire up just to press buttons after a long day's work. It also works because the text descriptions paint a lovely picture of the environment that the CGA graphics cannot. It's kind of a weird stopgap between a novel and a comic with its use of Images and Words*. A very interesting and unique experience that I haven't seen in any other medium or even other game genres.

Related to its need to use imagination is the fact that in the right state of mind this game is outright hilarious. I'm not talking about try too hard Earthbound-style humor either. I'm not much of a role player, so I just went around shooting motherfuckers and choosing dialogue options that I knew would result in combat. Kicking down hotel room doors and gunning down random dudes makes me chuckle when I imagine what it'd look like in a more modern game. There are also intentionally funny moments such as the mutated hooker that gives the john Wasteland Herpes. That moment actually felt like a combination of the two ways of laughing at this game since I imagined the john (Thrasher in my case) getting his ass kicked by the two punks that happened to be there while weakened by the disease. Other segments of the game such as the mortar launcher and the messages that appear when the party runs into a cactus are some more examples of the game's humor.

The enhancements made to this game for its modern re-release make this game much more accessible to modern audiences and show the love inXile has for Wasteland. The narrated paragraphs, though rather dryly read, greatly aid in gameplay by preventing alt-tabbing out of the game that would be needed if inXile had only used scans or transcriptions. The soundtrack was rather nice and I think CRPG players would greatly appreciate its addition. The new graphics for the enemies are nice, but it sucks that they're not animated, so I prefer the old graphics.

This was overall a pleasant first CRPG experience that gave me more than just a look at the precursor to Fallout (the main reason why I played Wasteland).

*I'm sorry again. I couldn't resist a forced-in Dream Theater reference.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|