Games Beaten 2014

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2014

Post by Ack »

It seems like Wet is the kind of game where you should just eschew the Normal difficulty and immediately go for Hard, because Normal just isn't much of a challenge. I did see there were unlockable difficulties, but truth be told, after going through it once, I don't really have any desire to go back to it.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Final game of the year!

Brave Fencer Musashi. From a time when Square liked to dabble in all kinds of different genres, before development costs got so prohibitive that they had to stick to their cash cows. It's a cute little game that has a very interesting localization (very well done, but there's lots of intentional bad in it) and suffers from Square still not really knowing how to do 3D platforming. It's not as bad as some of the stuff in Xenogears, but there's several spots where you need to jump very precisely or you fall into a pit and take damage. It's pretty annoying. And fuck Steamwood. Have an overall timer or a timer between activation points; do not have both. Finally, the story itself is incredibly paper thin, but it's clear that was how the game was built.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

ACK'S GAMES BEATEN 2014

Well folks, 2014 has been a good year. I beat a lot of video games, 58 all told. A couple were replays from previous years, but the vast majority were games I had never beaten before(or in some cases played). Here is the complete list of what I beat in 2014:

1. Blood II: The Nightmare Levels (PC)(FPS)
2. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
3. Clive Barker's Undying (PC)(FPS)
4. Judge Dredd: Dredd Vs. Death (PC)(FPS)
5. Lagoon (SNES)(RPG)
6. Tin Star (SNES)(Light Gun)
7. Cacoma Knight in Bizyland (SNES)(Puzzle)
8. World Heroes (MVS)(Fighting)
9. Mario's Early Years: Preschool Fun (SNES)(Edutainment)
10. Rival Turf! (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
11. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (Genesis)(Fighting)
12. SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium (NGPC)(Fighting)
13. Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (SNES)(RPG)
14. Super Turrican 2 (SNES)(Run and Gun)
15. Brain Lord (SNES)(RPG)
16. Live A Live (SNES)(RPG)
17. Treasure Adventure Game (PC)(Platformer)
18. Realms of the Haunting (PC)(FPS)
19. Pocket Tennis Color (NGPC)(Sports)
20. Unreal Gold (PC)(FPS)
21. Puzzle Bobble Mini (NGPC)(Puzzle)
22. John Romero's Daikatana (PC)(FPS)
23. Scratches: Director's Cut (PC)(Point and Click)
24. Evoland (PC)(RPG)
25. Dead Pixels (PC)(Run and Gun)
26. Dungeon Defenders (PC)(RPG)
27. Borderlands: The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned (PC)(FPS/RPG)
28. Borderlands: The Secret Armory of General Knoxx (PC)(FPS/RPG)
29. Borderlands: Claptrap’s New Robot Revolution (PC)(FPS/RPG)
30. The Simpsons (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
31. Borderlands (PC)(FPS/RPG)
32. Portal (PC)(FPS)
33. Math Blaster (SNES)(Edutainment)
34. The Walking Dead (PC)(Point and Click)
35. The Walking Dead: 400 Days (PC)(Point and Click)
36. Borderlands: Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot (PC)(FPS/RPG)
37. Cubetractor (PC)(Puzzle)
38. Tecmo Secret of the Stars (SNES)(RPG)
39. Wheel of Fortune: Featuring Vanna White (SNES)(Game Show Simulator)
40. Borderlands 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
41. Borderlands 2 Headhunter - T.K. Baha's Bloody Harvest (PC)(FPS/RPG)
42. Borderlands 2 Headhunter - The Horrible Hunger of the Ravenous Wattle Gobbler (PC)(FPS/RPG)
43. Borderlands 2 Headhunter - Son of Crawmerax (PC)(FPS/RPG)
44. Borderlands 2 - Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty (PC)(FPS/RPG)
45. Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends (SNES)(Edutainment)
46. Bust-A-Move (SNES)(Puzzle)
47. Borderlands 2 - Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage (PC)(FPS/RPG)
48. Borderlands 2 - Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt (PC)(FPS/RPG)
49. Borderlands 2 - Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep (PC)(FPS/RPG)
50. Borderlands 2 Headhunter - How Marcus Saved Mercenary Day (PC)(FPS/RPG)
51. Borderlands 2 Headhunter - Mad Moxxi and the Wedding Day Massacre (PC)(FPS/RPG)
52. Borderlands 2 - Digistruct Peak Challenge (PC)(FPS/RPG)
53. Street Racer (SNES)(Racing)
54. The Combatribes (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
55. Hammerwatch (PC)(Action RPG)
56. Breath of Fire II (SNES)(RPG)
57. Secret of Evermore (SNES)(RPG)
58. Wet (PS3)(TPS)

GENRE BREAKDOWN

RPG: 10 (+16 Hybrid: 26 overall)
FPS: 7 (+16 Hybrid: 23 overall)

FPS/RPG Hybrid: 16

Puzzle: 4
Point and Click: 3
Run and Gun: 3
Edutainment: 3
Beat 'Em Up: 3
Fighting: 3
Game Show Simulator: 1
Platformer: 1
Light Gun: 1
Racing: 1
Sports: 1
TPS: 1

Borderlands, Borderlands 2, and all of the DLC for these two entries in the series really dominate this list this year, covering a total of 16 entries and making up the entirety of the FPS/RPG Hybrid category. However, even without this hybrid category, both the RPG and FPS genres are my two most dominant genres for what I beat this year. I got back into playing RPGs a few years ago, and I've been doing my best to up the ante ever since. Ultimately I hope one day to claim that I have beaten all NTSC-U SNES RPGs, but that will be a long time coming.

Beyond that, there is a relatively steady spread across a wide variety of genres, with little time spent focusing on any single one. It is surprising to see the Puzzle genre appear higher on the list than fighting games or beat 'em ups, though if you combine the two categories they come on top and nearly rival the position of FPS. The Run and Gun genre is also an interesting genre for me to examine, as I only counted Metal Slug once despite beating it multiple times over the course of the year(and winning a drunken bet that I could make it through half the game on a single quarter. I'm now known as 'Metal Slug Dude' to some drunk guys around Atlanta). The hodgepodge of one-off genres isn't too surprising...though it is surprising to see me beating any racing or sports games at all, considering they're both genres I rarely touch.

At this point, I've nearly exhausted the SNES edutainment library, so I doubt I'll be seeing too much more of that genre in the coming years. The same can be said for the SNES Game Show Simulator library.

SYSTEM BREAKDOWN

PC: 32
SNES: 18
NGPC: 3
MVS: 2
Genesis: 1
Arcade: 1
PS3: 1

The Borderlands titles really built up my PC gaming this year. Without them, I would have only cleared 16 PC games, and the SNES would be the clear winner. 2014 really was the year of Borderlands for me.

I knew I played a lot of PC games and SNES games. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that SNK has made up the third biggest contributor to my gaming systems this year. I haven't had most of my systems plugged in for a while, so I'm not really surprised about the lack of console variety, but I am a little shocked at how few PS3 games I beat. Still, I realized earlier this year that my collecting habits were changing to focus solely on the SNES and digital distribution of PC games, and that is definitely reflected in what I have been playing.

The lone arcade title was the Konami beat 'em up based on The Simpsons. I don't believe it had any sort of standardized board in it the way SNK or Capcom did for their cabs, hence why I just listed it as “arcade.”

HIGHLIGHTS

Borderlands, apparently.

I managed to beat 6 NTSC-U SNES RPGs(and 1 import SNES RPG for a total of 7). That puts me significantly closer to my personal goal of beating all NTSC-U SNES RPGs, though I still have a long way to go. I have a few that I am definitely interested in getting through at some point in 2015, starting with Robotrek, but I have a bunch that I still have yet to procure. I'll have to get them soon though; at this rate, I may run out in the next year!
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

1/6: Dear Esther (Steam)
1/11: Hydrophobia: Prophecy (Steam)
1/14: Spirit Camera: Cursed Memoir (3DS)
1/26: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)
2/1: 1,000,000 (Steam)
3/14: Thomas Was Alone (Steam)
3/15: Fairy Bloom Freesia (Steam)
3/22: Suikoden (PS1)
3/25: Wizorb (Steam)
3/28: Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Steam)
3/29: Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
3/30: Chibi-Robo! (GC)
3/31: Luigi's Mansion (GC)
4/13: Deponia (GOG)
4/13: Shatter (Steam)
4/14: Rusty's Real Deal Baseball: Cage Match (3DS)
4/19: Super Mario Sunshine (GC)
4/23: Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia (PS2)
4/25: Freddi Fish 3: Case of the Stolen Conch Shell (PC)
4/26: Frogatto & Friends (Desura)
5/6: Persona 4 (PS2)
5/9: The Last Us (PS3)
5/24: Atelier Ayesha: Alchemist of Dusk (PS3)
5/28: Tobe's Vertical Adventure (Steam)
6/2: Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians (Steam)
6/11: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC)
6/23: Half-Life (Steam)
6/30: Analogue: A Hate Story (Steam)
7/1: Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior (Steam)
7/7: LoZ: Oracle of Ages (3DS VC)
7/7: Trauma Center: Second Opinion (Wii)
7/13: Ys I (Steam)
7/15: Ys II (Steam)
7/27: Super Mario 64 (Wii VC)
8/19: LoZ: Ocarina of Time (Wii VC)
8/24: Ico (PS2)
12/1: Scribblenauts Unlimited (Steam)
12/6: VVVVVV (GOG)
12/7: Karateka (Steam)
12/11: FEZ (Steam)
12/22: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (3DS)
12/27: Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut (PS3)
12/31: Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland (PS3)

Final game for 2014! :D This year was definitely the best year for me so far, both in terms of how many games I've beaten (43) and what kind of games I've beaten (as in, a lot of good games). Quite a few games that I've played this year have also become some of my favorites as well haha. Hopefully next year will be just as good, if not better :)

(oh and Rorona was super awesome, but I think Ayesha was a little better only because Ayesha never crashed, while Rorona crashed twice on the final assignment :l)
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

All games beaten in 2014:

* Robot Ninja Haggleman from Retro Game Challenge for the DS
* The Binding of Isaac for PC (one playthrough, still have a bunch more apparently before I get the final ending)
* Ougon Musou Kyoku CROSS for the PC (a few playthroughs, each in arcade mode, but managed to unlock Black Battler)
* Dead Rising 2: Case West for Xbox 360 (got Ending A, still have a few achievements to unlock)
* Power Rangers: Beats of Power (OpenBOR-based fangame) for the PC (twice, with the second time being a later version)
* Sonic 2: Painto Edition, a hacked version of Sonic 2 for the Sega Genesis (it was an older version, though the latest version temporarily removed a few features and only has a few of the zones)
* Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie for GameBoy (on Normal).
* Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition for Super NES (first on Easy with the Thunder Megazord and then on Hard with the Mega Tigerzord)
* Harvester for the PC, this time not using cheat codes
* Sonic 1 Megamix (version 4.0b), a hacked version of Sonic 1 for the Sega Genesis that was moved to the Sega CD (beat game as Sonic, didn't get all Emeralds).
* Sonic Classic Heroes (v0.10.008a, the latest), a Sonic 1/2 hack that combines the Sonic 1+2 hack (which combines all the levels from 1 and 2 into a single game) with Sonic 2 Heroes (which used the team mechanics from Sonic Heroes), which is for the Genesis (beaten as Vector the Crocodile from Team Chaotix, solo with all the S1 and S2 Emeralds, though the latter are called Sol Emeralds)
* Mega Man 10 for the Wii (on Easy Mode as Mega Man)
* Infected: The Twin Vaccine for the PC (on Easy Mode, and also beat the bonus chapter)
* Big's Fishing Derby (from the latest Sonic Hacking Contest) for the Sega Genesis
* Duck Tales 2 for NES (on Easy Mode with over $3million)
* Duck Tales for NES (albeit a hacked version that made the Pogo Jump more like DT2's Pogo Jump) (on Easy Mode with over $10million)
* Sonic Colors for the Wii (didn't get all the Red Star Rings or S-Ranks)
* The Magical Quest: Starring Mickey Mouse for Super Nintendo (on Easy Mode)
* The Great Circus Mystery: Starring Mickey Mouse (sequel to The Magical Quest) for Super Nintendo (on Easy Mode)
* VR Troopers for Game Gear (on easiest difficulty, with timer set to 15 seconds and graphics set to Giant)
* Akumajou Remilia (Touhou-themed hack of Castlevania, though only changes graphics of character, enemies, bosses, and collectibles, and some palettes) for NES (on Easy Mode)
* Gaiapolis for the NES (unlicensed port of the arcade game)
* Gaiapolis, the arcade version emulated via MAME4Droid on Ouya (game had emulation problems, namely with graphics)
* Klonoa for the Wii, though only the base levels (where I saved all the villagers) and not any of the bonus stuff
* Ghouls n Ghosts for the Master System (used save states, but even then it was hard as FUCK)
* Nemo, the arcade game for the CPS1, emulated via MAME4Droid on Ouya
* Mega Man: The Power Battles, the arcade game for the CPS1, emulated via MAME4Droid on Ouya
* Asterix for the Master System (used save states). Wanna redo this, but stick only to one of the two characters in a single playthrough and do this for both characters.
* Asterix, the arcade game, emulated via MAME4Droid

I think that's about it.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

easy mode is for suckahs
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

dsheinem wrote:easy mode is for suckahs

On one hand, dsheinem has been drinking.

On the other hand, easy mode is totally for suckahs.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Well I only start on Easy Mode on the first play through and then move onto the next when I beat the game.

Seriously. I've beaten Dante's Inferno three times and currently working on the last difficulty setting.

And with MMPR: Fighting Edition, I didn't even DO Normal in between beating the game on Easy and beating the game on Hard.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

My actually beating games went off the rails back in June or so when I reactivated my FFXI accounts (but, hey, all jobs 99 b>_>b ). I did play other stuff, but not much that I actually "beat". I do have a couple from a the fall that I neglected to list...

Previous:

1.) Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
2.) Remember Me (PC)
3.) Mirror's Edge (PC)
4.) Jumping Flash! (PS1)
5.) Run Saber (SNES)
6.) Heavenly Sword (PS3)
7.) X-Blades (360)
8.) Blades of Time (360)
9.) Trapt (PS2)
10.) Hunted: The Demon's Forge (360)
11.) Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3)
12.) Venetica (PC)
13.) Metal Gear (MSX)
14.) Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX)
15.) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD Edition (PS3)
16.) Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP)
17.) Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition (PS3)
18.) Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Gamecube)
19.) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty HD Edition (PS3)
20.) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
21.) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3)
22.) Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (360)
23.) Halo 2 (XBox)
24.) Halo 3 (360)
25.) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS3)
26.) Halo Reach (360)
27.) Halo 4 (360)
28.) Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (PC)
29.) South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3)
30.) Deception IV: Blood Ties (PS3)
31.) New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)
32.) The Lost Vikings (Genesis/PC)
33.) Metroid Prime (Wii)
34.) Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

35.) The Legend of Korra (PS4)
36.) The Last of Us: Left Behind (PS4)

Korra was...passable at best. I don't know if it deserves to be on "worst of" lists on what's actually in the game. It's a budget title, and one that seems like it could have wound up as a mobile game, but was given cross-platform release on platforms with standard gamepads and all that. So, at least there's that.

Objectively, it's made to be played through multiple times. I wound up playing it like, one and a half times or so. :lol: The first playthrough, more or less, has you unlocking the combat system, and pits you against fewer enemies to (mostly) compensate. I found it to be a bit uneven the first time through, since some of the boss fights are basically the same, just without your full toolset.

The bigger problem is the missed opportunity. The game barely includes the supporting cast, and has a stand-alone, throwaway story set between seasons 2 and 3. There's a lot more that could have been done with the IP, and in turn, a lot better games in the genre. So, hard to really recommend outside of fandom.

Left Behind, I hadn't played, so it was an enjoyable way to explore the Remastered version of the Last of Us. It hits some of the best parts of the full game, flipping back and forth between fleshing out backstory, and filling in a gap in the main plot.

I wound up replaying a decent chunk of the main game too, as the PS4 port of the game is outstanding. 'course, I haven't gone back to it.

Past those, I'd mostly just have stuff that I either just lost interest in playing (like Destiny), don't have as clear ends (like Smash Bros), or that I just haven't managed to push all the way through yet (like Dragon Age Inquisition). Regardless, they'd be on the 2015 list now.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Ack: Did you play Borderlands with friends or solo?