Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: What's your 2013 Game of the Year?

by fastbilly1 Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:17 am

Since I have not played the new Mario or Zelda, my choice has to go to Battlekid 2. Take everything about the first Battlekid, and turn it on its ear.
soul_hacker
64-bit

by soul_hacker Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:24 pm

I'm going to have to go with Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. It's honestly just the most fun and enjoyable experience I've had with a game that came out this year.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Probably The Last of Us. First level is just amazing.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:26 pm

Played a ton this year, but still have to hit up a lot that released just this year. I'd say my favorite picks are, in no particular order:

- Super Mario 3D World
- Bioinfinite
- Dead Space 3
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:09 pm

dsheinem wrote:Like we always do at this time...

Please limit your pick(s) to games that were released in 2013 and tell us why you list what you list!

Though a few of these are still in progress and I have one or two more 2013 titles I hope to play this year (and so I reserve the right to revise), I think I'm pretty confident in deciding that my Top 5 for 2013 are...
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - I don't know what to say about this other than to say it is the finest Zelda game in 20 years and - unless it finishes very badly - will likely end up in my top 2-3 Zelda games ever. A nice blend of nostalgia and innovation that offers challenge if you want it (mostly through some of the collecting tasks) and accessibility if you need it. I If you own a 3DS and have any love of 2D Zelda, you need to check this out.

4. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - I don't generally like open world games and I don't have any real affection for this series (I'd played only 1 and some of 2), but this one has surprised me and been a ton of fun. The world seems gigantic, the ship battles are appropriately daunting and frantic, and the story moves along briskly, mostly unencumbered by the series "lore" stuff as you go (you can enjoy it completely without having played the earlier games). All the gameplay elements seem perfectly honed and the game simply "feels" like it should as you move through lots of different kinds of experiences. This must be the best the series has had.

* UPDATE * - Having experienced the awesomeness of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag since I originally made this post, I've added it to my list below.

I purchased both of these recently, so they could end up being contenders. I've never been that interested in Assassin's Creed, but the pirate theme and how well it seems incorporated from what I've seen really has me intrigued. Plus, I just really need stuff to play on my new PS 4 :lol:

I'm the guy who still thinks Sly Cooper 3 is the best of the series in no small part due to it having an entire, awesome chapter built around a pirate theme. Zelda I've been lukewarm on since it went 3D, but Link Between Worlds looks like it could be a fun return to the Zelda style I like. I'm pretty excited to play both games. I've also not had a chance to fully play through fun games like Resogun and Lego Marvel Super Heroes yet.

Going by what I HAVE played this year though, my picks are:

Puppeteer - I feel there have been a lot of great old school platformers this year, but of the ones I've played I don't think any filled me with child-like glee the way this one did. It appeals to me on many levels. As someone who was involved in high school plays and auditioned for a theatre production in college (where I had to turn down the roles offered due to other things going on in my life), I really enjoy the game's theatre theme (also shared by this year's Foul Play, by not quite as well implemented). I also am a sucker for a good fairy tale, which this game's story kind of is. I also really like the writing. It's heavy on British humor and fourth wall breaking, two things I'm a fan off. The game does a good job of walking the line between adult and kid friendly like the best family movies and TV shows do. There's also a section of the game dedicated to pro wrestling fans, which I am.

Gameplay-wise, it's a solid platformer, like Little Big Planet but with better controls. The use of the scissors is a neat gameplay mechanic, even though it feels awkwardly implemented at times. It allows you to traverse through fun, on rails segments of the game that call to mind Sonic games in some parts, and the rail grinding sections from Ratchet and Clank in others. It also adds a neat twist to boss battles where you have to cut through parts of them like a scissor cutting through paper. This actually feels like a gameplay mechanic that wouldn't have felt out of place in Tearaway's papercraft world.

The use of different heads for your puppet is cool too. Taking a hit makes you lose your head and you have to recapture it like you do with rings in Sonic. I also just love that by having certain heads in certain areas, you can trigger special effects, power ups, or even one hit kills on bosses. This, along with the game's highly interactive environment (full of secrets and Easter Eggs) and hidden collectibles (like trying to find every hidden soul) gives the game some nice replayability as there's so many new things to see on each playthrough, and Puppeteer is one of those zany games where you never what crazy thing you'll see next. It's constantly changing things up in bizarre fashion, much like a good Suda 51 game, but more kid friendly.

Puppeteer is a game full of surprises and originality. It's not perfect. There's a bit too much ongoing dialog in some levels that gets annoying and distracting, and Pikarina can be obnoxious the way sidekick characters often tend to be in Japanese games. Plus, the controls can be slightly awkward at times. Still, it feels like a game created to put smiles on faces and remind me us that games can still be surprising.

Sly Thieves in Time - I LOVE this series. I love the characters and the stories involving them. Sly, Ratchet and Clank, and Jak and Daxter were the holy trinity of platformers in the PS2 era, and the Sly Cooper series was always my favorite. I never really expected another Sly game after Sly 3, so news of this excited me, but I was nervous about the new developer. It didn't help that there were things they did with the Sly HD Collection that didn't sit well with me(like removing all the developer commentaries from Sly 1). The game was a pleasant surprise though.

Rather than blaze a new trail, they stuck with the established formula. Given that so much time passed since Sly 3, it actually felt fresh. And they added some little twists that I really enjoyed. There's is a montage sequence in this game that Matt and Trey Parker could be proud of. It's hilarious. And the Grizz is one of the most entertaining villains I've seen this year. And there is a twist in the story that while heavily foreshadowed was still a surprising direction for the story.

The new devs get it. This feels like a game made by Sly Cooper fans. And if that isn't enough, they gave us another cool game in Bentley's Hack Pack, which serves as a nice companion piece to Thieves in Time and really fleshes out the mini-games in Thieves in Time to make them more fun and interesting (except for those awful motion control stages)

Guacamelee - I didn't love this game as much as the very similar in some ways Dust: An Elysian Tail, but this is the closest PSN came to matching that XBLA masterpiece. Guacamelee has really fun beat 'em up gameplay, a Metroid style world, a nice cartoony art style, some nice humor, and a very original Luchador theme that I liked (again, wrestling fan here). Only thing that would have made me like this game more is some voice acting. It would have fit nicely. This game is also an excellent cross buy title, every bit as good on the Vita as it is on the PS 3. It' a pretty polished title all around, skillfully designed and challenging, but never going too far into frustrating territory, which is that sweet spot of difficult balancing that few games can hit.

Fire Emblem Awakening - Aside from the irritating reknown system, this game is a practically flawless strategy rpg. The difficulty options allow you to create a very realistic, high stakes approach to combat where your characters can be as swiftly and suddenly killed as any real life battle and will be permanently removed from the game like a real death. I also loved the emphasis on comaraderie in this game. Your characters will always be at a disadvantage in battle if not paired up with someone to assist them in enemy encounters and it's a joy to see how your characters work together and protect each other in combat. The fact that you get to see battles in real time in 3D like a modern console rpg as opposed to just seeing some 2d sprites hit each other on a map screen really helps battles feel more exciting than most strategy rpg. I also love how the story revolves around building relationships and the freedom the player is given in choosing what relationships develop, kind of like a good Bioware game. This, along with Valkryia Chronicles and Jeanne D' Arc is one of the best strategy rpgs I've played in the past few years.

Fist Puncher - Some may scoff at this, it's just a simplistic, NES era style beat 'em up, but sometimes I enjoy something that is easy to pick up and play. This game reminds me of the fun of many NES era games that could put a smile on your face in minutes and weren't as taxing and tax consuming as many of today's games are. It pays homage to River City Ransom and has lots of great humor. Everything about the game's look and feel is heavy on nostalgia and there is a huge number of playable characters and lots of levels to play through, some of which can get surprisingly challenging as you near the end of the game. The controls are great too.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Wow! This game is awesome! It really makes you feel like a pirate. Everything is here, using treasure maps to find and dig up treasure, plundering ships, sailing through stormy seas, escaping the law, swashbuckling (and cheating to win like Jack Sparrow :D ), stealing, looting, etc. The stealth mechanics are solid (though it's hard to tell what an enemy's range of sight is unlike the Batman or Tenchu games), the platforming is as good as the old Prince of Persia games, the combat is as fun as Sleeping Dogs and Batman (and even better in some ways), the graphics are great, the soundtrack is excellent and memorable, the story moves along at a nice pace, sailing a ship through open seas is immersive, and doing side missions and collectibles is actually fun!

Honorable Mentions:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate - I really enjoyed this one. It's a mix of God of War, NES era Castlevania and post-Symphony of the Night Castlevania. It all works rather well. There are epic boss battles, some fun quick time events, combat that is a bit more fun than you usually see in this games, a good soundtrack, some nice graphics, and a decent story. It's just a really solid game overall and entertained me more than the very similar Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate.

Castle of Illusion HD - Not just a remake, but a re-imagining of the old Genesis classic. It's polished and fun to play

Ratchet and Clank Into the Nexus - A great game, but nothing you haven't seen before in previous R&C titles. Plus, it's much shorter than those games.
Last edited by Gamerforlife on Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:26 pm

I'm starting to see why AC Black Flag is on dsheinem's list. It's just immensely fun. Everything in the game is so well thought out and intuitive and there's tons of stuff to do and most of it is actually fun. It's by far the best of all the games I purchased with my PS 4.

Granted, the only other Assassin's Creed game I've played is II, and that was only for like 20 minutes, so much of what is impressing me about this game might seem like old hat to fans of the series.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:29 pm

Hey, replying in this thread so I can remember to post my GOTY.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

by hashiriya1 Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:03 am

I am going to go with The Last of Us with Grand Theft Auto V and Super Mario 3D World tied at a close second. A Link Between Worlds is really fun but I'm not finished yet.

I haven't tried Gran Turismo 6 yet because I am trying to get a Brazilian copy (Aryton Senna cover).
Crynox
16-bit

by Crynox Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:37 am

I'm enjoying GT6 at the moment, did you know that in May there's going to be some special Senna content..

My fav games for 2013 are Newer SMB and Sturmwind.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:51 am

Crynox wrote:Sturmwind.

Sturmwind is such an awesome game. I'm glad I'm not the only one giving it my nod for 2013.
Return to General Gaming