What's your 2013 Game of the Year?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

What's your 2013 Game of the Year?

Post by dsheinem »

Like we always do at this time...

Please limit your pick(s) to games that were released in 2013 and tell us why you list what you list!

Though a few of these are still in progress and I have one or two more 2013 titles I hope to play this year (and so I reserve the right to revise), I think I'm pretty confident in deciding that my Top 5 for 2013 are...

1. The Last of Us - Though there are things I liked better in some of the other games below, this game brought together a lot of interesting ideas into a gorgeous, compelling story that managed to stand out from the pack (no small feat considering it is a zombie game, a genre that to my mind has worn out its welcome). I can't wait to see what the Naughty Dog folks pull off on the PS4.

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - I don't know what to say about this other than to say it is the finest Zelda game in 20 years and - unless it finishes very badly - will likely end up in my top 2-3 Zelda games ever. A nice blend of nostalgia and innovation that offers challenge if you want it (mostly through some of the collecting tasks) and accessibility if you need it. I If you own a 3DS and have any love of 2D Zelda, you need to check this out.

3. Bioshock: Infinite - Like with "The Last of Us" there is plenty to quibble with in terms of some of the mechanics for this entry in the Shock series, but like with my #1 pick it bears inclusion here for me because of its gripping story and its fully realized artistic design. Levine's universe is a fun one in which to romp around and blow shit up, and the shifting motivations and considerations while doing both kept me coming back.

4. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - I don't generally like open world games and I don't have any real affection for this series (I'd played only 1 and some of 2), but this one has surprised me and been a ton of fun. The world seems gigantic, the ship battles are appropriately daunting and frantic, and the story moves along briskly, mostly unencumbered by the series "lore" stuff as you go (you can enjoy it completely without having played the earlier games). All the gameplay elements seem perfectly honed and the game simply "feels" like it should as you move through lots of different kinds of experiences. This must be the best the series has had.

5. Gone Home - This one gets the last slot on the list of five as it provided what was one of the more interesting examples this year of the kinds of storytelling and kinds of stories that can take place in games. I'd compare it favorably to something like Dear Esther, but with more traditional gameplay elements (basic puzzle solving, picking up and looking at objects, finding hidden routes, etc.).

Honorable Mentions
Killzone: Mercenary was probably the best game I played on the Vita (though Tearaway may take its spot before the year's out), The Stanley Parable almost knocked Gone Home out of #5, and Device 6 was the best iOS game I played in 2013.

So what were your picks?
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: What's your 2013 Game of the Year?

Post by pierrot »

Monster World IV
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

#1. Project DIVA F - how to explain? It's just my favorite rhythm game. Nice mechanics. Great music. Great videos. I like that the songs range from 3 - 4 1/2 minutes or so instead of 60 - 90 seconds like a lot of other Japanese rhythm games. The series, over the past few years, has managed to make me a big fan of vocaloid. Working on my all 'excellent' run on extreme difficulty right now. After that comes the all 'perfect' attempt. Fans add more content all the time with new songs/stages.

I don't think I really need to expand upon this list. But here are some honorable mentions:
Muramasa Rebirth
The Last of Us
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Bioshock Infinite
DoDonPachi Saidaioujou
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I only completed one game that was released in 2013; so, it is really my only choice for game of the year. (Moreover, it was released in Japan in 2011 and Europe in 2012. As a result, it is not exactly a new game.) That said, this year's other releases will have to be incredibly good to top it.

My game of the year is:

Pandora's Tower (Wii)

When I completed the game, I wrote:

"I finally pushed through Pandora's Tower (Wii), and I received the "best" ending. The game is deeply flawed - and there is a very serious bug near the end of the game - but I nonetheless enjoyed it tremendously. Navigating the towers reminded me of Ico, and the combat was very engaging. Moreover, the bosses - and particularly the final boss - were great, and each encounter with one of the towers' masters was thrilling. Finally, the game has fantastic art direction and an engaging mythology. Thus - and despite some serious flaws - I highly recommend Pandora's Tower to anyone looking for an ARPG."

Looking back on the game, most of its flaws have faded from my memory and only the very serious bug near the game's ending tarnishes my memory of it. I do, however, distincly recall the game's incredible mythology, thrilling combat, spectacular boss encounters, and engaging story. Moreover, the game made time limits a very real threat, and watching a horrified, transforming Elena attempt to clean the floor and apologize for making a mess because I took too long in the towers still haunts me. (The game will end if you spend too long in the towers, but it is almost worst to return just before the time limit expires...) Looking back, I now consider its mechanics a triumph of game design, and I hope that other games will draw inspiration from it.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

I think Tomb Raider is often overlooked and was my favorite game this year. Maybe due to the polarizing nature of this franchise, a lot of people didn't give it much of a chance amidst all the 'reboots' going around.

I loved just about everything in the game. It looked amazing, played amazing, the voice acting and OST were top notch, the presentation and pacing was very well done.
If I were to have a gripe it'd either be it was just overall too easy and I wish there was MORE single-player content (DLC tombs PLX!!!!1!).

So that get's my vote.

Honorable mentions:
Bioshock Infinite
Last of Us
Dragon's Crown
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Pretty much this: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44056
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

My game of the year:
Three and a half years in the making a team of devoted Nintendo fans release the true swansong for the Wii. To me this game felt more like an authentic entry into the Mario series than Ninty's own effort of which this game is derived! (And I loved the original)

Much more than just another level hack, the Newer Team has created what feels like an entirely new game, with original music, new map screens, new enemies and bosses, and they brought back the freakin' Hammer Bros. suit from SMB3! The level design is fantastic, challenging but not too difficult, mostly on par with the original I would say.

Considering this game was nothing more than a labor of love for a bunch of coders and artists, it's amazing it even exists at all.

I can not overstate enough how much of a quality product this game is. It's a shame that most probably won't take the time and effort required to get this game running on their Wii because the work these people did deserves to be appreciated.

Start to finish it was an absolute joy to play.
8)
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Fixed.

I may have purchased a dozen games that were released this year, so my entry is subject to question:

BioShock Infinite
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

@EllertMichael I've never even heard of that.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

Stark wrote:@EllertMichael I've never even heard of that.

Sorry, should've linked to their website: http://newerteam.com/

I actually remember starting a thread for it on here, probably in the Nintendo section around June/July.

EDIT: Original Thread Here.