Games Beaten 2013

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

Post by ExedExes »

Luke wrote:I think this game has infinite continues, which means I'm in for a world of hurt.

It doesn't. I believe it is only 3. Rare-developed games almost always never had unlimited continues on the NES, as far as I know. Examples include Ironsword, RC Pro Am, Captain Skyhawk, Cabal, and others.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

ExedExes wrote:
Luke wrote:I think this game has infinite continues, which means I'm in for a world of hurt.

It doesn't. I believe it is only 3. Rare-developed games almost always never had unlimited continues on the NES, as far as I know. Examples include Ironsword, RC Pro Am, Captain Skyhawk, Cabal, and others.

Whoa. Since I only noticed Milton Bradley on covers, I never knew how many games Rare developed. Thanks!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Luke wrote:Whoa. Since I only noticed Milton Bradley on covers, I never knew how many games Rare developed. Thanks!

You're welcome :) It's interesting to see that many older games were developed by companies other than those that published them.

I found a site that should have all the Rare-developed NES titles - What really surprises me is all the output they did for LJN/Acclaim, so the next time someone says their games suck, remember that Rare could be to blame for your disliking them :lol:
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Sniper Elite V2 (PS3)(TPS)
2. Teen Agent (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
3. Alpha Protocol (PS3)(RPG)
4. Beneath A Steel Sky (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
5. Imscared - A Pixelated Nightmare (PC)(Horror)
6. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (SNES)(RPG)
7. Celestial Mechanica (PC)(Platformer)
8. Gravity Bone (PC)(First Person Adventure)
9. Secret of Mana (SNES)(RPG)
10. Lure of the Temptress (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
11. Mario's Early Years: Fun With Numbers (SNES)(Edutainment)
12. CoD of Duty (PC)(FPS)
13. The Bard's Tale (PS2)(RPG)
14. The Great Circus Mystery, Starring Mickey and Minnie (SNES)(Platformer)
15. Deus Ex (PC)(FPS)
16. The King of the Wood (PC)(FPS)
17. Shadows of the Damned (PS3)(Horror Adventure)
18. Chuck Rock (SNES)(Platformer)
19. Arcana (SNES)(RPG)
20. Jurassic Park (SNES)(Action-Adventure)
21. Brawl Brothers (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
22. Monopoly (SNES)(Boardgame)
23. Dr. Mario (SNES)(Puzzle)
24. Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday (SNES)(Platformer)
25. Breath of Fire (SNES)(RPG)
26. The Death and Return of Superman (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
27. Battle Blaze (SNES)(Fighting)
28. Todd McFarlane's Spawn: The Video Game (SNES)(Action-Adventure)

My thumb hurts. But it was worth it to hear Malebolgia's laughter after the credits. Spawn's an odd game with some great potential, but it's ruined by its unresponsive controls, cheap bosses, and the obscene power of a single kick. That's too bad, as I love how it looks. The fluidity of Spawn's motion is perfect, and the bosses are a treat. The fight with the Mad One at Malebolgia's feet impressed me immensely...well, until I started raging against the game for unresponsive special moves. But that's ok, as that was pretty much the whole game for me.

Spawn has a simple plot: 13 children have been kidnapped to help the Mad One create a weapon to defeat Malebolgia, but Spawn wants to rescue the children, and Malebolgia always has something up his sleeve, so don't ever expect anything to go the way the hero wants. The Spawn comic is a wide mix of moral grey zones(and some self-pitying greys as well), and the game tries to reflect this with Spawn once again taking on the forces of Heaven and Hell to try to do the right thing, which only ends up benefiting the very folks he doesn't want to help. Poor guy. Guess he learned the hard way not to make deals with the devil.

And Spawn also happens to have some nifty tricks up his sleeves: four different basic attacks, various change ups of these moves depending on how Spawn is moving, and a large collection of special moves. It's unfortunate that the most vital one is the screw kick, which is pretty much all you need to beat the game properly. Just jump in a direction and hit heavy kick, and regular enemies will get the tar kicked out of them, while just about every boss will take multiple hits. That's not to say they'll go down quickly, just that it hits several times. And the special moves have a wide range of usefulness. Once I figured out how to heal, that was generally the only one I used, though I admit to popping a few bosses with the homing fireball occasionally. It's a shame the special moves take so long to register, because most often you'll pull one off about a second after you wanted it, which means your opportunity may have vanished. The healing move in particular was extremely hit or miss, and I somehow managed to get it to work several times by putting in the opposite directional code...I don't know why that worked, but somehow it did.

Spawn's also quite difficult. It's nice that the game gives you infinite continues(albeit at the cost of some of your special powers), but after a while I got tired of seeing Malebolgia's face. And you'll see his creepy visage a lot, as the hordes of enemies Spawn faces like to gang up on him while he's down, the various traps hidden throughout the game are nasty, and the bosses are more than happy to squash Spawn like a bug. The Reedemer near the beginning of the game is just one notable example of a boss going apeshit on you, and I actually quit playing the game several years ago specifically because of that fight. I picked it back up later, but over the last four years or so of owning this game, I've slowly crawled my way through off and on. I suppose if I had really been dedicated I could have finished it faster, but I'd play a bit, get frustrated somewhere, and set the game aside, sometimes for more than a year. I'm glad I keep a few notebooks full of passwords. It really helps with long gaming projects like this.

Anyway, Spawn does offer a wide variety of platforming, puzzles, and beat 'em up action. If the controls were better, I would likely be heartily recommending it to everyone. But instead it's more an exercise in rage. If you're a fan of the comic, sure, check it out. Other than that, there are much better comic-based games on the SNES.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

FerretGamer wrote:
4/1 - Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate - 3DS[/spoiler]

Wow, it's been a while since I fully completed a game. Sadly, Castlevania took me a good week to finish even though it's pretty short (7-8 hours). I've been busy so I've been just watching blurays since I'm too tired to really give a game my full appreciation or attention. I've also been futzing around in NHL '12 which doesn't help with game completion.

Anyways, Mirror of Fate was really enjoyable. It was fun, had some awesome 3D segments, really good music, decent story, and decent enough voice acting. I'm not sure if it warrants the IGN rating (4.7) but I understand not everyone shares the same opinion. Of course, based on game quality alone I'd say it's nowhere near the "bad" rating even if you're not a fan of the genre or series.

Image :|

Too tired to write more than that. :lol: I'm working on Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon which is another awesome 3DS game. March was a good month for the 3DS.

Sometimes I feel like the folks at IGN are just attention whores. Every now and again, they love to throw out an absurdly low score for some popular game that can't be justified in any way. They've developed something of a reputation for it. I'm surprised Adam Sessler isn't working there with his BS 2 out of 5 review for Sly Thieves in Time. IGN has some of the worst, uneducated, unprofessional reviewers in the entire industry

From what I know of the new Castlevania game, even if it's flawed I can't imagine it warranting less than a 6 out of 10 at the very least. It looks more like a 7 to me
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

1. Batman Genesis
2. Golden Axe Sega CD
3. Streets if Rage Sega CD (I'm keeping the typo)
4. Streets of Rage 2 Genesis
5. Super Mario Bros. 2 NES
6. TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan Gameboy
7. TMNT 2 The Arcade Game NES
8. TMNT Hyperstone Heist Genesis
9. Call of Duty Black Ops 360
10. Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis
11. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Genesis
12. Sonic CD Sega CD
13. Kung-Fu NES
14. Mega Man 2 NES
15. Out of This World SNES
16. Flashback SNES
17. Altered Beast Genesis
18. Pit-Fighter Genesis
19. Aladdin Genesis
20. Aladdin SNES
21. Ghosts n' Goblins NES, twice
22. Contra NES
23. Bionic Commando NES
24. Strider NES
25. Batman NES
26. Duck Tales NES
27. Ninja Gaiden NES x 2
28. Super Mario Bros. 3 NES
29. Lakers Vs. Celtics and the NBA Playoffs Genesis
30. Jackal NES
31. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! NES
32. Bayou Billy NES
33. Skate or Die NES
34. Captain Skyhawk NES

Had to put Battletoads on the back burner.

I've always liked Captain Skyhawk. It's like Cobra Triangle...in the air. It's certainly not a perfect game, but it is fun and entertaining.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Luke wrote:34. Captain Skyhawk NES

Had to put Battletoads on the back burner.

I've always liked Captain Skyhawk. It's like Cobra Triangle...in the air. It's certainly not a perfect game, but it is fun and entertaining.

It's interesting to find someone who's a fan of this game. I tried to get into it several times but it never clicked with me, ended up selling it to a friend instead.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

alienjesus wrote:I've always liked Captain Skyhawk. It's like Cobra Triangle...in the air. It's certainly not a perfect game, but it is fun and entertaining.

It's interesting to find someone who's a fan of this game. I tried to get into it several times but it never clicked with me, ended up selling it to a friend instead.[/quote]

It's like Top Gun meets After Burner meets Cobra Triangle. It is fairly simple to beat, but has great replay value.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Ack wrote:Anyway, Spawn does offer a wide variety of platforming, puzzles, and beat 'em up action. If the controls were better, I would likely be heartily recommending it to everyone. But instead it's more an exercise in rage. If you're a fan of the comic, sure, check it out. Other than that, there are much better comic-based games on the SNES.

Spawn on the Dreamcast is pretty fun. Capcom turned it into an arena-style deathmatch game and I never get tired of that. It was fun in the arcade too.

Luke wrote:I've always liked Captain Skyhawk. It's like Cobra Triangle...in the air. It's certainly not a perfect game, but it is fun and entertaining.

Great game. I actually like the stages where it's all high speed and you gotta really move carefully. Another fine title from Rare. Hey, Cobra Triangle's great too -- also by, yes, Rare!
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

ExedExes wrote:Spawn on the Dreamcast is pretty fun.

I *weak emphasis* like Spawn on the Dreamcast. But it is too overwhelming for me. For the first time in a fighting game I thought they had too many characters to choose from.

A friend and former neighbor of mine (this was at least ten years ago) was addicted to playing Spawn on the DC. Thinking of it, the copy I "own" is the copy he let me borrow.