Games Beaten 2013

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

Post by Stark »

Ack wrote:What graphics card were you running it on, emwearz? I've heard NVidia cards have a terrible time while ATI does well.

I'd be curious for the answer to this as well, although apparently a patch dropped today to address some of the nVidia issues.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

What I said on performance on another forum.

There was lots of talks of performance issues on Nvidia cards, I am still using a GTX285 (OC'ed) and ran the game on its highest settings (without the DX11 only settings obviously) and its ran at 60fps most the time, but dropped in places like shanty town to low 40's at times. Did not suffer from crashes or invisible walls, etc. Very attractive game!

The 'performance' issues that are so widely reported are to do with a single feature, 'created' by AMD, StressFX, which is the hair physics, which makes her hair look really shiny and fake like a shampoo commercial, my friend is running a GTX660ti and has the option disabled, due to how ugly it looks.

It will be fixed in the next driver released if you want the feature, personally, I dislike the look as well.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

emwearz wrote:The 'performance' issues that are so widely reported are to do with a single feature, 'created' by AMD, StressFX, which is the hair physics, which makes her hair look really shiny and fake like a shampoo commercial, my friend is running a GTX660ti and has the option disabled, due to how ugly it looks.

It will be fixed in the next driver released if you want the feature, personally, I dislike the look as well.

Makes me glad i have a HD 7870, but ill be picking this game up on PS3 anyways.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

So, just like the games acquired thread, I've been tracking the games I've beaten this year, but neglected to actually post about them. Here's what I've done so far since January, with a couple more in the works at the moment.

1. Doom 3: The Lost Mission - X360
2. Doom 3 - PC
3. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (100%) -3DS
4. Phantasy Star Portable - PSP
5. Tempo Jr. - Game Gear
6. The Lost World: Jurassic Park - Game Gear
7. GG Aleste - Game Gear
8. World Trophy Soccer - Genesis

Doom 3: The Lost Mission
Doom 3

I bought my friend Doom 3 BFG Edition for christmas, and got him to let me play it long enough to get through the new episode, The Lost Mission. It has 8 levels, and took me about 2 and half hours, but it was quite fun. As soon as I get my own copy of BFG, I'll tackle it again at a higher difficulty. Beating this reminded me that I had an unfinished save file on the original PC Doom 3, so I went and knocked that out as well. I beat the OXbox version a few times over the years, but I'd never finished the PC version, so that was fun.

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Stupidly fun. It was a christmas present from my wife. Took me a month to finally pop it in my 3ds, but then I didn't stop playing it until I'd completed it 100%. People can call these games rehashes all they want, Mario still sucks me in like crazy and I have a blast every time.

Phantasy Star Portable

I started this game last year and put it down for months. I finally picked it up again and discovered I wasn't far from the end at all. Finished at level 61 and about 22 hours. Seriously freaking addictive, and I want to get the sequel now. Luckily there's a copy at a local game store for cheaper than online prices (Game Force Boulder rocks!), so I'll be grabbing that at some point.

Tempo Jr.
The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Both very short, but very sweet.

Tempo Jr. is a pretty different experience from the original 32x game. It has a couple of levels in common, but they play out differently, and there are fewer levels and bosses in general. Its a Sega Club game and incredibly easy, but still fun.

The Lost World was apparently the last US released Game Gear game. The game was fun, the graphics are nice, I enjoyed the variety in the levels, and it was nifty playing as a Compy on a couple of stages. Like Tempo Jr, its very easy.

GG Aleste

Holy freaking hell this game is fun. I enjoy shmups, but they don't typically grab me like this. I'm sure for a more hardcore shmup player this game is too simple to be really attractive, but I had a great time with it. I could probably clear it on one credit as well if I took the time to try.

Its a crying shame this never came out in the US. Its also a shame the Japanese version is so expensive (I emulated on the psp).

World Trophy Soccer

So Sega-16 is doing this challenge where they're trying complete every US released Genesis game over the course of 2013. I had to join in on this challenge, and this is the first game I finished for it.

I loved this game as a kid and beat it many times, so it wasn't a stretch. I also hadn't played it in years, so it brought back some good memories. I particularly enjoy the music.

This youtube video has the whole soundtrack in one, and this particular song is my favorite of the bunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1NLToNsiVY#t=4m19s

So, all caught up! Sorry for the long post.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
TheSegaSaturnGuy
64-bit

Post by TheSegaSaturnGuy »

I the last month I managed to tear through Wild Arms 1 and 2. I am hooked on the series and am looking to buy 3 as we speak.;)
I am buying all Saturn games, PM me with your offerings and I will let you know if I need the game or not! (Everything must be CIB)

Currently trying to knock off all the sports games, would like to get them <$5 each! Of course if you would like to donate them I will gladly pay the shipping! :)
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

1. Batman Genesis
2. Golden Axe Sega CD
3. Streets if Rage Sega CD (I'm keeping the typo)
4. Streets of Rage 2 Genesis
5. Super Mario Bros. 2 NES
6. TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan Gameboy
7. TMNT 2 The Arcade Game NES
8. TMNT Hyperstone Heist Genesis
9. Call of Duty Black Ops 360
10. Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis
11. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Genesis
12. Sonic CD Sega CD
13. Kung-Fu NES
14. Mega Man 2 NES
15. Out of This World SNES
16. Flashback SNES
17. Altered Beast Genesis
18. Pit-Fighter Genesis
19. Aladdin Genesis
20. Aladdin SNES
21. Ghosts n' Goblins NES, twice
22. Contra NES
23. Bionic Commando NES
24. Strider NES
25. Batman NES
26. Duck Tales NES
27. Ninja Gaiden NES
28. Super Mario Bros. 3 NES *new*

Went through every stage on every level, as usually I just warp to beat the game.

SM3 is far easier than I remember. I believe I only died a handful of times and had over thirty lives left when I saved the princess. But that doesn't take away from how fun the game is, and every level is a blast.
jinx
Next-Gen

Post by jinx »

Luke wrote:Went through every stage on every level, as usually I just warp to beat the game.

SM3 is far easier than I remember. I believe I only died a handful of times and had over thirty lives left when I saved the princess. But that doesn't take away from how fun the game is, and every level is a blast.

Aside from my usuals from Sega, SM3 was my first return to Nintendo retro gaming this year.
You say it was easy... well my controller doesn't agree with out. :P

I'm going to revisit it once I have a new Toaster and the acutal cart.
CavZee
Next-Gen

Post by CavZee »

Let's see if I can remember everything I've played through so far...

Mega Man 4 NES
Mega Man Legends PSX
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne PSX
Fire Emblem (7) GBA
Contra NES
Mario Kart 7 3DS
Ni No Kuni PS3
Fire Emblem Awakening 3DS
Phoenix Wright: Justice For All DS
Virtue's Last Reward 3DS
New Super Mario Bros. U WiiU
Mighty Switch Force HD WiiU
Sonic Racing Transformed WiiU
Steam/NNID: CavZee PSN: I_CavZee_I
3DS FC: 5456-0768-7231
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

jinx wrote:You say it was easy... well my controller doesn't agree with out. :P

I'm going to revisit it once I have a new Toaster and the acutal cart.

SMB3 was tough as nails to me when it was first released. Now it seems as easy as "run, jump, or duck". I know that is simplifying the game, but I was surprised how easy it was. And! That could be due to the fact that I played each level, racking up lives left and right. When you just warp around, you never get a feeling for the flow of the game.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

The general Mario gameplay is like integrated into my bones at this point.