Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by RCBH928 »

isiolia wrote: I'd say it mostly comes down to one of the reasons to have a app repository/storefront in the first place: verification. UWP applications may be more restricted in what they can do. As that wiki article points out though, MS has listened to concerns, and expanded what UWP supports, and allows the Windows Store to serve up other program types now too.

Valve also isn't really wrong. Or, at least, it's not a bad thing for them to work on having a viable alternative to gaming on Windows. Nice to have as an option, if not as a fallback in case MS ever restricts things on Windows. Figure, if MS actually did place limits on software like that, it'd probably mean a lot of older software from any source would no longer work. So while people may not swap to Linux just so they can buy something on Steam, if swapping to Linux meant regaining access to hundreds of games in their Steam Library, a lot more would likely do it.

Well, Whatever Valve's intentions are I am glad its happening for the simple reason that I am rooting for Linux to become more mainstream and have bigger support. I am really the kind of pro-privacy guy that hates when a corporation has a monopoly. A FOSS 1:1 alternative for Windows will be amazing, Linux problem though is its very fragmented with every group of programmers build their own custom version of it.

As for gamers, it can not be a negative. I wonder if that software magic from Valve can work on MacOS too.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Okay so some Vita games don't allow me to take screenshots.... And now I discover that some screenshots contain watermarks. What the hell?!
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I didn’t know you could even take screenshots on Vita. But of course, you really posted the picture to show us what it’s really like to text you :P
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Neither thing is unheard of. Some built-in screenshot functions have done that for a very long time now. FFXI's built in screenshots were doing it in 2002, and I doubt it was the first. XIV's does it too, it's just a lot less noticeable due to resolution.
Native game sharing features are newer, but there have been times when developers blocked them even if only for a limited time.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

I’m looking at getting a new controller for my switch on the first day of using it. :lol: As far as comfort/size, what thoughts does everyone have about the various 8bitdo controllers? And if not those, any other suggestions?

isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

The Pro Controller is quite nice, since no Switch games are going to have problems due to the lack of analog triggers.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Maybe. I was interested in getting something third party, because there are so many interesting options. I’m currently lean towards an SN30Pro+ or a PowerA Wireless GameCube controller.

bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I have a Switch Pro controller and a PowerA wired controller. The Pro controller is the best by far though the dpad is prone to accidental inputs. This can be mitigated by a really easy mod (bit of tape on the dpad contacts). The PowerA gets the job done for what I got it for - an extra Smash Bros controller. In that regard, I prefer it over the joycons. It doesn't have rumble, motion controls, or amiibo support but if those aren't needed, it is a good inexpensive option.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Maybe. I was interested in getting something third party, because there are so many interesting options. I’m currently lean towards an SN30Pro+ or a PowerA Wireless GameCube controller.

DO NOT purchase the Power A controllers. They are terrible, especially for smash (this is coming from a person who plays competitively) as the L and R buttons are just plain bad.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

What about the Hori Pad for Switch? They’ve never done me wrong before.