Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:I wish we can have more games like Cuphead that makes something new and different, not a 3D world after 3D world. I am really a fan of different art styles. I don't know how difficult it is to make but Cuphead really feels like playing in a tv cartoon which sounds like a dream of a 70's/80s kid. Did the game get enough recognition or was it overshadowed by the CODs, Creeds, and Fortnites?

It got a fair bit of recognition, and apparently even has an animated series planned. Sales were not nearly comparable to things like CoD...but not much is. Around the PS4 launch earlier this year they said they were past 6M copies sold, which is fairly in line with what one might expect from a hit game in the "difficult" niche (especially for one not on PS4 before that). Figure, that was from it's launch in 2017 on just Xbox and Windows, to summer 2020. To compare, Dark Souls III came out in 2016, and in May 2020 was stated to have sold around 10 million, with a series total of around 27 million.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I am big in different art styles too. Great graphics in an artistic sense always trumps ones that are technically impressive. What's gonna happen with the technically impressive games? They look outdated within a few years. It always happens. Artistically impressive graphics always look good.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I almost completely agree. Art style trumps technical capabilities in most cases.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I am about to have it with Tomb Raider a game I forever wanted to play. There is a very thin line between challenging and frustrating. Dying because you jumped 1mm earlier or missing the opened door by 0.5 seconds is not fun. Tank controls does not help either. This game feels more like chore than fun now. I understand games were more expensive and scarce but making your game annoying is not the way to get more gameplay out of it.
I wonder if at launch they had the same criticism or were they just excited they finally have a 3D platformer.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:I wonder if at launch they had the same criticism or were they just excited they finally have a 3D platformer.

Probably neither extreme, really. As an earlier effort, it was both limited by what could reasonably be done at the time, and didn't have the benefit of the literal decades of improvements that the genre has now seen. Have you tried the Anniversary remake instead?
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

isiolia wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:I wonder if at launch they had the same criticism or were they just excited they finally have a 3D platformer.

Probably neither extreme, really. As an earlier effort, it was both limited by what could reasonably be done at the time, and didn't have the benefit of the literal decades of improvements that the genre has now seen. Have you tried the Anniversary remake instead?

nope I thought I go "hardcore" with the original and experience it as it was.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Nintendogs- now this is a name I haven't heard in a long time...
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

So after like 7 years I was really intimidated by Plague Inc. always up there in the top paid games on iOS. There was no free demo, I always try before I buy. Downloaded a clone called "Infection". I am surprised how fun and addictive a simple gameplay mechanism can be. So finally joined the masses and bought the game. Also, I finally found a good use for clone games which I hate.

I usually hate strategy games that deal with just making decision then get a result then make another decision and get result. Feels like a monkey pushing a button to turn a light on and get excited by it.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Nintendo is blocking several game soundtracks on YouTube. Yet they don't provide them on modern stuff like streaming services, or hipster stuff that would actually do well like vinyl releases. Not to mention that there's hardly a virtual library for the switch. It's like they're trying to get people to hate them by making stuff inaccessible or at the very least are hilariously out of touch.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

PretentiousHipster wrote:I am big in different art styles too. Great graphics in an artistic sense always trumps ones that are technically impressive. What's gonna happen with the technically impressive games? They look outdated within a few years. It always happens. Artistically impressive graphics always look good.

I agree, but also since PS3/360 we've been at a point with realism where I think games still look decent a decade later but that just might be because I'm practically blind.

Regardless if you've got a strong design sense and an artistic vision your visuals will hold up over time a lot better.