Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by RCBH928 »

Its really hard to swallow the fact of a game (or any media/art really) that you wanted to like and then slowly figure out its not that good or plain out bad. McGee Alice comes to mind, the idea behind it was very solid and entertaining for me but the execution was terrible. I really wanted to like Evil Twin for the Dreamcast, it look really interesting like a Tim Burton animation. Unfortunately I couldn't get past level 1 or 2 due to bad controls. I figured this game is closer to be in alpha phase with only 25% complete. I quit on it.

I didn't play the NES, but Super Metroid is awesome work from Nintendo. I don't know how they got to it, its really is out of their usual work. Its not just the gameplay but they created this whole IP which seems to be inspired a little bit by the movie Alien. They really set the mood and experience right for a SNES era game. I feel they can build on it by creating a tv show or a movie.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

oh we talkin about popular Nintendo games that are actually not fun at all

Kid Icarus
StarTropics
Punch-Out!!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Look Bone, I always suspected you were wrong based on your love of bump combat, but claiming Punch-Out is not fun confirms it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

He's not wrong about NES Kid Icarus though. Which is why I'm happy we got the superior GB game.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

You all are killing me with Kid Icarus hate. Where's that unpopular opinions thread?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

o.pwuaioc wrote:You all are killing me with Kid Icarus hate. Where's that unpopular opinions thread?

I agree. Kid Icarus, Punch Out, and StarTropics are all really fun. There are some not-fun Nintendo NES games, though, like Clu Clu Land, Gumshoe, Ice Climber, Mach Rider, etc.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:You all are killing me with Kid Icarus hate. Where's that unpopular opinions thread?

I agree. Kid Icarus, Punch Out, and StarTropics are all really fun. There are some not-fun Nintendo NES games, though, like Clu Clu Land, Gumshoe, Ice Climber, Mach Rider, etc.

I love Kid Icarus & Punch Out and quite enjoy Clu-Clu Land and Ice Climber too.

Can't speak for Mach Rider or Gumshoe, but I don't adore Startropics.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I want to like Ice Climber but it just feels broken. Whenever I try to jump to the next level after destroying a block, it feels like you have a 50/50 shot of falling through the floor even though it looks like you landed on solid ground.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Ice Climber I also want to like. Mach Rider is charming in some ways. Clu Clu Land I couldn't get into. Gumshoe is a bore and really just a tech demo.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

@Bone: when I read punch out in your not fun games list I almost reported your post for innapropriate or offensive content. I will concede that my love of punch out is probably disproportionate to how good the game actually is, but saying it is not fun is blasphemy.

Have you ever played super punch out or wii punch out? Wii punch out is one of my all time favorite games so I'd be interested to hear your take on it.

@prfnsl_gamer: agree on that list, alot of those early nes games were pretty bad, ever play urban champion? That is another turd to add to that list