Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by Ack »

Ziggy587 wrote:I just can't get into Resident Evil. Everything I've ever heard about the game sounds awesome. And all the video footage looks amazing. But every time I try to play it, I don't know, I just can't get into it. But I really wish I could!

Which one, the original or the remake?

At this point, I know a lot of folks struggle with it and golden age survival horror games in general due to the controls and early clunky 3D graphics. They're certainly not for everybody, and as time goes by, they seem to be for ever fewer folks. At this point, even I take a moment to get my bearings with the controls, and I've beaten my fair share of the genre.

It's also totally fine to not be into playing it but admire it from afar.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'll dissent and say that not enjoying them makes you a terrible person and you need to turn in your retro gamer card.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

It's not the tank controls, that I really don't mind. And it's not the PS1 graphics, because I actually really like the pre-rendered background with the very cinematic camera angles. I first tried playing the Wii version of Resident Evil Archives. Then I tried it again when the HD version was on sale on Steam.

I must admit, some of the puzzles piss me off. I eventually throw my arms up and say, "I don't know what the fuck you want me to do!" But what really frustrates me is the limited saving. Maybe if I was still in high school this wouldn't be an issue. But I'm an adult, I need to be able to save every 5 minutes if need be!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

MrPopo wrote:I'll dissent and say that not enjoying them makes you a terrible person and you need to turn in your retro gamer card.

Retro gamer card??? We're talking about 3D games on CD-ROM. Sounds pretty modern to me. Who should turn in their retro gamer card? Anyone who isn't collecting Atari 2600 label variants.
Last edited by BoneSnapDeez on Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Atlantis Night label > Atlantis Day label
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Ziggy587 wrote:I just can't get into Resident Evil. Everything I've ever heard about the game sounds awesome. And all the video footage looks amazing. But every time I try to play it, I don't know, I just can't get into it. But I really wish I could!

Give Resident Evil 2 Remake a go. It has a free demo available. If it clicks with you, maybe read a plot synopsis of RE1 before starting the full game.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
MrPopo wrote:I'll dissent and say that not enjoying them makes you a terrible person and you need to turn in your retro gamer card.

Retro gamer card??? We're talking about 3D games on CD-ROM. Sounds pretty modern on me. Who should turn in their retro gamer card? Anyone who isn't collecting Atari 2600 label variants.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sears picture labels of GTFO...

opa wrote:Atlantis Night label > Atlantis Day label

Blue label 4 ever!!! JK...night label is the best.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ziggy587 wrote:It's not the tank controls, that I really don't mind. And it's not the PS1 graphics, because I actually really like the pre-rendered background with the very cinematic camera angles. I first tried playing the Wii version of Resident Evil Archives. Then I tried it again when the HD version was on sale on Steam.

I must admit, some of the puzzles piss me off. I eventually throw my arms up and say, "I don't know what the fuck you want me to do!" But what really frustrates me is the limited saving. Maybe if I was still in high school this wouldn't be an issue. But I'm an adult, I need to be able to save every 5 minutes if need be!

The puzzles are silly, yes. Think of them like adventure game moon logic. As for saving...well, it's supposed to make things harder by limiting resources.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Well, I’ll say tank controls are an issue for me. If I knew anything about coding or the like I’d put Silent Hill style “2D” controls into those old games. I love Resident Evil, but I’ve been sticking with the Remakes so I don’t have to use tank controls.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

If you can, try the NDS port. It’s a really fun version of the original game that’s easy to turn on and off. It has some great quality-of-life features including, if I recall correctly, a mode that doesn’t limit your continues. (I may be wrong about that, but regardless, you can always hibernate your system.) It also has a version that employs the touch screen for extra puzzles and combat.

Resident Evil never really clicked with me until I played the NDS version, but I absolutely loved that game, playing through both the original game and remixed version with touchscreen combats and puzzles. When I finally “got” it with the limited continues, I realized that you have to play it a bit like a die-and-retry platformer. You sacrifice a few lives grabbing items, figuring out what you’re supposed to do, where you’re supposed to go, how to avoid monsters and conserve ammo, etc. Once you’ve got that, you just execute a good “run” to the next save point. The game is actually really easy once you know where to go and what to expect, and once you spend a few minutes figuring it out (and not worrying too much about dying), you can get from one point to the next really efficiently and with ink ribbons (and ammo) to spare at the end of the game.

I’m also playing the original Silent Hill right now for the Summer Games challenge, and I’ve found it to be really accessible. It’s probably a great introduction to the genre, and you may want to give it a shot if you haven’t already.

I hope that helps a bit!