Snickerd00dle's Summer Challenge 2012 - how is it going?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Re: Snickerd00dle's Summer Challenge 2012 - have you started

Post by foxhound1022 »

@Dave - You won't regret CvS2; it is one of my favorite fighters all-around, and as Noise said, very good. It has many more technical aspects than the MvC series IMO.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

cool. Still need advice on the final game, though. I've heard votes against Gauntlet and Power Stone and nothing on Wing Commander...

I fired up Diablo II and played through the first mission (clearing out some cave)...it feels like a gimped D3 (which is what I expected) but I can see having some fun with it. How long is it? I installed the LoD expansion too - is there a clear break between them or is it embedded in the main game now?
sabrage
Next-Gen

Post by sabrage »

You don't like it because of the story? You know you can skip that, right?
Last edited by sabrage on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

sabrage wrote:You don't like it because of the story? You know you can skip that, right?

No, that was secondary. The gameplay was derivative of superior games in the same subgenre. If the story had held my attention I'd have stuck with it. It didn't.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

dsheinem wrote:
sabrage wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I don't remember how far I got in NG (I played the PS3 port) - several levels iirc. It felt vastly inferior to the Devil May Cry and God of War series to me (remember when you were considering those?!), so I got bored with it.

Dude... No...

Dude...yes...

Sorry, I just don't dig the current Ninja Gaiden series. In its contemporary incarnation it is derivative and populated with boring stories and characters.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I hold Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox in very high regard. It is one of the few modern action games where defense is arguably more important that offense and where you are required to become proficient in many of the games mechanics to advance from one level to the next. Moreover, the relatively high difficulty level and precise controls made advancing through the game rewarding and accurately captured the "I-am-a-ninja" feeling derived from success in the 8-bit Ninja Gaiden games. (I most recently experienced this feeling when I was playing through Shinobi for the 3DS.)

I have not played Devil May Cry, but while I enjoyed the first two God of War games, I did not find them particularly difficult. Moreover, there was no need for defense, and I felt that I could advance through both games by performing variations on the same combinations of attacks. Accordingly, I consider the God of War games to be "beat-em-ups" while I regard Ninja Gaiden as a "ninja simulator".

EDIT: Also...go with Wing Commander. It is a classic and it has held up reasonably well despite its age. Only play through NES Gauntlet if someone else if going to do it with you (and you have at least a case of beer on hand).
sabrage
Next-Gen

Post by sabrage »

Not that I would ever call it "superior", but God of War came out after Ninja Gaiden. The games that truly did surpass it - Vanquish, Devil May Cry 3, Bayonetta - all came later.
Last edited by sabrage on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PGchris
64-bit

Post by PGchris »

making a tentative switch from Super Mario Brothers 3 to System Shock 2, that is if I can figure out how use Wineskin. I'll be suuuuper excited if a I can I've wanted to play this game for years, but I'm a little worried as I have no idea what I'm doing with Wineskin yet.
Systems Owned: SNES, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox 360, PS2, DS, Sega Genisis+32x+CD, Saturn, PSP

Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

dsheinem wrote:I just played OOT a little bit longer and - ugh - would there be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth if I were to get rid of it from my list?

I swapped it out of my list for something else too. So you'll get no wailing or gnashing from me.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

dsheinem wrote:I fired up Diablo II and played through the first mission (clearing out some cave)...it feels like a gimped D3 (which is what I expected) but I can see having some fun with it. How long is it? I installed the LoD expansion too - is there a clear break between them or is it embedded in the main game now?

The expansion just adds another chapter on to the end and gives you the other character classes, 800x600 option, and such. I can probably be convinced to play some DII. I'd have to look what characters I have or make a new one.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

^Mark of the Wolves is awesome. It wasn't until I started branching out and trying some new characters that it COMPLETELY clicked with me. Once I started using Hotaru everything just made sense to me. Does she even appear in any other SNK games? I'm not sure but she might be a Garou exclusive. Anyway, yeah. Awesome game. 8)