Indie Watch 2012

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
J T
Next-Gen

Re: Indie Watch 2012

Post by J T »

Vektropolis
*click for trailer video*

Vektropolis is basically what we thought futuristic would look like in the '80s. There are lovely 3D vector graphics that only show you neon wire-framed objects in all their beauty. It looks kind of like that old arcade Star Wars game did ("The Force will be with you... always).

Other than the lovely retro graphics, the game looks like it largely just follows the old tried-and-true game mechanic of pointing at things and shooting them.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Dead Sea (XBLIG)

Kind of reminds me of one of those Simple 2000 games on PS2. The controls are pretty terrible, and the text is riddled with errors. And yet, the simplicity of the game itself is actually rather intriguing. $1 gets you into a shark attack, y'all.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Starbound is my most watched indie game. Its Terraria in space with better combat and physics:

You have a central spaceship that is standard (and upgradeable), but every planet in the galaxy is randomly generated and explorable. Some are harder than others and all can be terraformed. It makes me salivate with the possibilities. I played alot of Terraria - steam says 100 hours but it was more like 500. Just exploring different maps was fun to me. This will give me a GALAXY to explore. Thats like 50 planets...

If they had a kickstarter I would gladly give them $100 or 200 to finish it faster. But they are not doing a kickstarter, just paring up with another indie game: Wanderlust Rebirth.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Dusty Revenge

*click for trailer/official site*

Like Shank with rabbits.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Oliver and Spike: Dimension Jumpers

*click for official site*

This game is looking beautiful, and it has a cool dimension shifting mechanic. In the trailer, you can see them jump off a cliff, shift to a dimension where they are suddenly swimming under water, then shift back to the previous dimension and land safely on land.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Routine

In Routine, you are investigating the mysterious disappearances of some people on a seemingly abandoned moon base. Spooky, right? Well, add to it that there is perma-death, no HUD, and no health packs and it becomes downright terrifying, or at least, that's the idea.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller

*click for official page with trailer*

Jane Jensen (of Gabriel Knight fame) has a hand in this one, as do the people that made the King's Quest tribute game The Silver Lining. Cognition is a new adventure game with Borderlands style graphics and a story about a woman with premonition abilities working for the FBI.
Last edited by J T on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

J T wrote:Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller

Jane Jensen (of Gabriel Knight fame) has a hand in this one, as do the people that made the King's Quest tribut game The Silver Lining. Cognition is a new adventure game with Borderlands style graphics and a story about a woman with premonitions abilities working for the FBI.

I contributed to the Kickstarter for this one, looking forward to it!
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Tengami

I really like the traditional Japanese look to this one. The gameplay has potential to be interesting too as you walk through a pop-up book full of Japanese artistry and craft.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Qasir al-Wasat

*click for official page*

This game releases on 9/31, so you have just a few days to get the pre-order price ($7.49 vs. the later $9.99). The game is available at Indievania and Desura for Mac or PC.

I've played the demo so far, and it's really cool. This is what it would be like if The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past and Metal Gear Solid had a Syrian baby. The storyline is set in 12th century Syria and this is reflected in the lovely artwork that combines that style with the style of an overhead Zelda game. The gameplay is focused primarily on moving around stealthily to explore the palace, then unleashing your attacks at just the right moments when it is most strategically advantageous. Your character is a mythical creature brought from another world by a magical human sage. The sage will allow you to enter a secret palace if you will assassinate some key figures inside the palace and agree to be bound to the magician's will. Your character has much knowledge to gain from exploring the palace, so he agrees to this precarious arrangement. You are an invisible beast in the human realm, but you can be heard or recognized by blood and dirt that has spattered on yourself. This means you must execute carefully or risk giving up your location until you can find a place to clean off.

It's a very unique setting and storyline for a game. I like the style of the writing and I love the artwork. Though there are obvious parallels to other stealth games, the gameplay feels unique as well. I recommend giving the demo a try, and if you like it, you might want to snag it at the pre-order price before the 31st.
Last edited by J T on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.