What are your picks for the best/worst games of 2011?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

What are your picks for the best/worst games of 2011?

Post by dsheinem »

It's the time of year to make lists!

It is always a bit odd to talk about new games on a retro-focused forum, but I know the large majority of us play new games as well as old ones, so I figured I'd get the ball rolling. I'll probably comment on/rank the "new to me" games (e.g. Chrono Trigger, Mass Effect 2, etc.) at the end of the year in my final "Games Beaten 2011" post, as they don't really belong in this thread...

Anyway...I have probably played 15-20 games that came out in 2011, and plan to finish up at least 5 more before January is out, but I would be surprised if the list changed. Overall I thought it was a solid - if not stellar - year for gaming. I actually had some difficulty whittling down my list to a top 5, but here it is nonetheless:
------------------------
GOTY: Resistance 3 - this has become one of my all time favorite single-player FPS series, and R3 is the best single-player experience in the series. In a generation that has built its reputation on FPSs, this is the cream of the crop.

2. Portal 2 - A great game (despite the consolization of controls and puzzles), it had more personality and a better story than most RPGs of this generation. A thrilling run.

3. Crimzon Clover - one of the all-time best shmups. the fact that it is made by an indie developer is just stunning. If you haven't played this yet and have even a minor love of shmups, get on it.

4. Uncharted 3 - Given how amazing U2 was, I expected this to be my GOTY. It is a remarkable game, but the combat isn't as fluid or enjoyable as the previous entry and the story wasn't quite as captivating (even it was told better). A must-own for action/adventure fans.

5. Killzone 3 - I probably sunk more time into this FPS online than any other that came out this year, and I also found the singleplayer to be the best in the series. If it hadn't been for Resistance 3, this would have been the best FPS of the year.

Honorable Mention: Dragon Age II - as a stand-alone release, DA2 is only so-so and a definite step back in many important areas from the first DA game. However, the DLC episodes really flesh out the game, give it a bevy of new areas to explore, add interesting new characters to your party, and compensate for some of the problems in the retail release. I still prefer the first DA, but I've sunk a lot of hours into DA2 this year.

---------------------------
---------------------------

Here's a few other categories for fun. Feel free to use them or add your own.

Digital-only new release of the year: NBA Jam On Fire Edition - they finally fixed the most niggling problems from the retail release of NBA Jam (TAG mode FTW!) and put this out at the right price.
Runner up: Jamestown

Retro-release of the year: Radiant Silvergun (XBLA) and Guardian Heroes (XBLA) (tie). The two best games for the Saturn, both available for cheap on XBLA? Yes, please.

Biggest Disappointment of the Year: Red Faction: Armageddon - I am still playing this, but the previous RF game is probably the best sandbox game this generation - so the fact that Armageddon is a corridor shooter that gives you cool gadgets and weapons that would have worked much better in a sandbox environment is very frustrating.

---------------------
So what are your thoughts on games released in 2011?
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: What are your picks for the best/worst games of 2011?

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I've been pretty out of the loop with current-gen stuff until recently.

My GOTY has to be the porting of Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets. I know the games are from '06/'07, but having them in one pack with a really good arrange mode, re-vamped 1.01 modes, and that matsuri mode, not to mention how good these games are on their own, made this a stand out package that I would never consider selling. Its also a plus for many that its region free.

I know, I need to expand and play something other than shmups :oops:
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

dunpeal2064 wrote:I've been pretty out of the loop with current-gen stuff until recently.

My GOTY has to be the porting of Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets. I know the games are from '06/'07, but having them in one pack with a really good arrange mode, re-vamped 1.01 modes, and that matsuri mode, not to mention how good these games are on their own, made this a stand out package that I would never consider selling. Its also a plus for many that its region free.

I know, I need to expand and play something other than shmups :oops:

I debated putting that as the "retro release" of the year for me, but I haven't sunk enough time into it yet. RS and GH on XBLA are certainly a better release for the price, and both are (arguably) better games. Good call on MMP/PS though, it certainly deserves a mention as one of the best collections of all time.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I have a hard time even comparing RS to Yagawa titles like MMP/PS. Considering your favorite shmup, I think you will fall deeply in love with these games once you get a chance to dig into them some.

I cannot argue the price thing though, that release has stayed expensive, and RS and GH are definitely better releases for the average person trying to get into the genre or experience some treasure goodness.

I definitely want to try out some of the games you have mentioned, and I'm looking forward to seeing what other people suggest. Maybe some Wii games?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm planning a big blog post myself to go over my favorite games of the year (including re-releases and digital downloads). I haven't gotten it all together yet, though. But spoiler #1: Catherine is easily my GOTY. Spoiler #2, dsheinem will probably disagree with the entire list.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

noiseredux wrote: Spoiler #2, dsheinem will probably disagree with the entire list.

Thats what makes this place awesome :mrgreen:
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Maybe some Wii games?

I think there was a Zelda game and a Kirby game released for the Wii this year. I have played neither, though hope to some day play both. Was there anything else? Do they still make Wii games :lol: ? Were there any new DS or PSP games this year that weren't ports of some sort? I remember Parasite Eve 3 coming out and....that's about it.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Dark Souls hands down for me. It's not often that a game this impressive on virtually every level comes around. An improvement on Demon's Souls in every way and possibly the best dungeon crawler ever. This game is so enormous and packed full of content that it's just unbelievable. Although it won't appeal appeal to everyone of course, long time dungeon crawler fans are going to be in bliss while playing this masterpiece.

Catherine was also quite good and a nice breath of fresh air, so that would probably be my runner up. Not much else got me too worked up this year, some niche games here and there, MGS HD Collection, that's about it.

As for biggest disappointment, Shadows of the Damned.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:Spoiler #2, dsheinem will probably disagree with the entire list.

I bet i can predict it:

1 Catherine
2 some JRPG you didn't finish (Hyperdimension Neptunia, prolly)
3 Marvel vs Capcom 3
4 some retro-release (maybe 3rd Strike?)
5. some homebrew game, perhaps for the DC or another JRPG you didn't finish

And I would be hard pressed to "disagree" with you as I don't think you've played more than 1 or 2 titles on my list, and I probably won't have played more than 2 or 3 on yours.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Yr not far off.