What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Ziggy587 wrote:Which version are you playing? The only BS Zelda I've played through (so far) was Ancient Stone Tablets and it was a hell of a lot of fun!

BS The Legend of Zelda. The remake of the first one.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

PretentiousHipster wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:Which version are you playing? The only BS Zelda I've played through (so far) was Ancient Stone Tablets and it was a hell of a lot of fun!

BS The Legend of Zelda. The remake of the first one.

YYYYEEEESSSS!!!!

That game is so rad. It’s random elements are so much fun, and they add a lot to the game. That said, and not to set your expectations too high, but Ancient Stone Tablets blows it out of the water. It’s basically a war crime that Nintendo has never made that game available commercially. :lol:
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I'm so close, I can almost taste that sweet Xana-dew. The Xan-brosia, nectar of the Dragon Slayer gods.

I decided to stop pussy footing around (after making a backup save, because I'm not really that cavalier) and just keep delving the floors to see what I could pick up. Some earlier scouting attempts in the 8th Floor told me most of what I needed to know about what was down there. One dungeon housed a "G-Slayer" sword, but it basically traps you in unless you have a a mantle, to pass through solid walls. Well, I did still have one, but there were also two paths into the 9th Floor, and one of them required the mantle to get to. So, having the backup save, I decided to check that path to the 9th Floor. Turned out I really didn't need to use the mantle there, since there was a false wall on the 9th Floor that warps pretty much right to both of the paths from the 8th floor, but oh well. I made my choice, and basically had to live with it for now, because the game auto--saves on your 'current' file whenever you move up or down a floor, or enter a boss room (in either case, the save point is just before going through the doorway). So there's no undoing it without going back to the backup file. It looks like I won't end up needing another mantle, though. (At least, I really hope so.)

The 9th Floor was full of goodies, but what strikes me as odd is that in one of the dungeons, there was a Long Blade (which is a non-purchasable weapon, and better than the +2 Battle Axe), and then there was a Murasame (even better weapon) separated by only a few rooms from the Long Blade. In another dungeon, there was a Reflex armor, and even fewer rooms away from it, there was a +2 R-Mail (Ring Mail, I assume) with better base defense. I really don't know if any of these have any sort of hidden properties, though. I sort of hope not, but I can't see why they would be right on top of each other if at least one of them didn't. So after grabbing that equipment, and leveling up to Super Hero in Fighter level, I went back to the 7th Floor, and fucking demolished the boss there. Picked up the third of four crowns, but then I wasn't really sure what to do, because I had only found two dungeons in the 9th Floor, and no boss guarding a crown, or doorway to the 10th floor. I went back down to just poke around, hoping there wasn't some pathway tucked away somewhere on a much higher floor, or something. I kind of lucked out in finding a route tucked away in a corner which lead to another dungeon, and also eventually to the pathway to the final floor. I cleared out most of that dungeon, but there are two rooms with Silver Dragons in them, and they can kill me with one hit. I don't do much damage to them, either, so it sort of left me in a similar situation to the one I was in on Floor 7. I decided to just keep exploring outside the dungeon, and started some reconnaissance on the 10th Floor, but not before blowing through a truck load of keys on the way to the Floor 10 stairs. I still have 70, and it appears that there's only a few locked doors outside of the single dungeon on this floor, so I'm thinking that could still be enough. I made it to the dungeon on the 10th Floor, but didn't actually go in because the door looked a bit different from the doors on all the other dungeons, and I was a little worried it might just throw me into a boss battle (and auto-saving in the process). I had used more Winged Boots than I would have liked, while scouting, because there's some pits that are pretty easy to fall into, and I kept doing it accidentally.

I'm planning on (more carefully) venturing back down to the final floor, and leveling up proficiency on my equipment a bit, before heading back up to the 9th floor to see if I can at least survive a hit from the Silver Dragons in order spam Red Potions (which I have tons of) while trying to hit them. What worries me a little bit is that my +5 Large Shield, and +2 R-Mail are only at 54/255 and 59/255 proficiency, respectively, and most regular enemies, even on the final floor, can't even hit me anymore, even when I'm facing away from them--.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Sega Saturn version, right??
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

BS Legend of Zelda is so good that I don't want to play Twilight Princess nor Oracle of Seasons anymore. I guess I'll give them a few days off and try A Link to the Past to help prepare for Ancient Stone Tablets.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Sega Saturn version, right??

Yes sir! Original mode, so no maps of the floors, or anything (not sure if the game balance is adjusted at all in the Saturn mode, though). It's the last game on the two Falcom Classics collections I haven't finished. So once I get the clear file, I'll get to see what's in the bonus mode. I can't remember, but I think it was just clear records on Falcom Classics II.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I’m going to marathon a few PS1 games, and I’m starting with Silent Bomber. So far, it is so rad. It‘s like Bomberman and Contra III had an illegitimate child that was raised by a bullet-hell shmup. (Also, if it didn’t already have such an awesome, completely nonsensical title, it might be called Anime Movie Explosions: The Game. There is so much stuff blowing up, in such an awesome way, all the time.) Better, it is full of the grainy CGI, bad voice-acting, and awesome graphical flourishes that characterized the best PS1 games.

Has anyone else played this? I read it was good, but I didn’t think it’d be THIS good. I’m surprised I hadn’t played it sooner.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

One best Japanese adventure games I've played in some time. I'm really taking to the quirky setting and characters.

Also, the soundtrack is extremely good. This password theme is so soothing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0PY5TMuyxg
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

It is done! The King Dragon is slain! No longer must the people tremble at the thought of the dark, festering labyrinth of Kublai Khan, writhing beneath their feet. For I, the mighty Master "Load" and "LV15-Wizard," pierrot, have emerged from the swirling maelstrom of chaos to proclaim victoly!

It is a great day for humanity, and not a single princess was involved. Praise be.
marurun

Post by marurun »

pierrot wrote:It is done! The King Dragon is slain! No longer must the people tremble at the thought of the dark, festering labyrinth of Kublai Khan, writhing beneath their feet. For I, the mighty Master "Load" and "LV15-Wizard," pierrot, have emerged from the swirling maelstrom of chaos to proclaim victoly!

It is a great day for humanity, and not a single princess was involved. Praise be.

Look, man, this story will never sell unless there’s a princess, or at least some romantic companion. Could there just maybe be a princess at the end and they neck a little before the credits roll?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.