What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

The sequel fixes SO much. The game controls way better, the guns are better, and the mini-games suck way less. The third game improves things even more, and is easily the best of the bunch I've played.

I just started Ratchet & Clank Future (the first one, which I thiiiink is Tools of Destruction? it has no subtitle in Japanese) yesterday, and so far at least that isn't as good as R&C3, but it's still early days. The bad guy already isn't as good as Dr. Nefarious, so that's one thing not in this game's favor :lol: . It also does that great thing so many last-gen games did where the first area is both very pretty and has a lot of physics objects, but all that pretty-ness tanks the framerate noticeably in some areas of it, so that's a great start as well :lol:

It's not my favorite so far, but it's also a FAR step up from Deadlocked, so I'm happy with that at least. This is also the first one I've played so far where it's REALLY noticeable that Ratchet's eyebrows are different in the Japanese version, so that's also fun X3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I'm not sure if it's stockholm syndrome, but Zelda's Adventure actually has a certain charm to it. I love how odd it looks. Of course, I am a fan of early CD games because of this reason, so I may be biased. But then I get into the dungeons and the bad hitboxes and stilted controls make me hate it again.

Still, the Shrine of Illusion is legit a good dungeon theme, and I love the boss. A werewolf jester that does cartwheels.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

PretentiousHipster wrote:I'm not sure if it's stockholm syndrome, but Zelda's Adventure actually has a certain charm to it. I love how odd it looks. Of course, I am a fan of early CD games because of this reason, so I may be biased. But then I get into the dungeons and the bad hitboxes and stilted controls make me hate it again.

Still, the Shrine of Illusion is legit a good dungeon theme, and I love the boss. A werewolf jester that does cartwheels.

How’re you playing these? I want to pay them myself, but I haven’t figured out a good solution short of buying a CDi...
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:I'm not sure if it's stockholm syndrome, but Zelda's Adventure actually has a certain charm to it. I love how odd it looks. Of course, I am a fan of early CD games because of this reason, so I may be biased. But then I get into the dungeons and the bad hitboxes and stilted controls make me hate it again.

Howe you playing these? I want to pay them myself, but I haven’t figured out a good solution short of buying a CDi...

http://www.cdiemu.org/ but you loose out of the music/sound effects and most movies

I fired up my F3 and started playing Landstalker again. I will eventually get good at this game.

I am also at the end of Act 2 for Witcher 2. Then that sweet sweet Witcher 3 on switch
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

The biggest flaw of Zelda's Adventure are the enemies that shoot projectiles. You can get a magic shield that blocks them, but it only works when you're standing still. The enemies that shoot them can still melee attack you, and they tend to do it at the same time. So, you either get hit by the projectile for attacking them, or stand still and get hit by melee. Fortunately other weapons can work, but they take rupees, and the blue ring takes like 30 rupees per attack! It comes down to trial and error over which weapon works on which enemies though which gets tiresome.

Anyways are these the best looking floormasters?

PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

There is the one huge flaw that ruins Zelda's Adventure: projectile weapons. If the enemy is too close to you, then you use the wand instead of the projectile weapon. Good luck using it when the enemies are aggressive, and go up towards you, and you have no space to move. Most enemies only have one weapon that works on them too.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Playing my first Japanese visual novel, but it hasn no anime aesthetic. Called Gadget Invention, Travel, & Adventure. It's kind of a Myst clone, but it's better than Myst tbh because it feels like a fever dream, and is a lot more accessible. It came out the same year too, but for FM Towns. It just got super creepy.

https://i.imgur.com/gw2SqQg.gif
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

I started something that I thought would be light fun, and my morbid curiousity got the better of me. It's called Kiss: Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child. It's apparently based off of the comic book Kiss: Psycho Circus. It's funny because you don't play as Kiss, but rather a Kiss Tribute band. But come on now, wouldn't it be hilarious to fight demons and stuff as Gene Simmons? It's... actually quite awesome. It is a bit floaty but the overall gameplay feels smooth which I think is of the utmost importance in fps games. I also love how this is done with such a straight face. It makes the plot of it even more ridiculous because of the contrast.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Panzer Paladin on switch, very cool game, platformer with a unique weapon/magic system with nods to classics like blaster master and zelda 2. Definitely one of the best indies I have played in a while
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

I couldn't get into the spam-like nature of Oracle of Seasons, in regards to how many enemies they throw at you. I will play it again though.

Oracle of Ages on the other hand might be one of my favourite Zelda games. The dungeons have a nice balance between puzzles and enemies, and it has some of the best bosses in the series as using your sword is a rarity.